Winnipeg newspaper attempts a hit piece on Jordan Binnington ahead of Game 1, resurfacing old Tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
I don't know if that particular post could be considered "xenophobic", however you would like to describe that, but the subtext of the tweet is the suggestion that Muslims somehow get some level of preferential or special treatment and that challenging them in any way, even though a reasonable request would be somehow be an issue.

Well...

Exceptions can be made for legitimate religious reasons in minor situations like this, not for poor Johnny who doesn’t want to take off his lame blue jays snapback, which I thought was your original lame point.

... some people seem to advocate special treatment.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
It's important to note that the taxi tweet was almost 2 years after the other 2. It's unrelated to the burka ones.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Seems like a lot of people in this thread don’t understand the difference between the Burqa and the Hijab.

A burqa covers the woman’s entire hair, face, and body, leaving just a tiny thin slab for them to see out of.

The Muslim Canadian Congress, for example, 100% supports the banning of the Burqa, and lists it as a “practice that marginalized women”.

Claiming that criticism of the Burqa is “xenophobic” and requires “education” hinges with irony.

Those who are open minded about other cultures and stand for social justice and equality are the very people who OPPOSE burqas, not defend them.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with his tweets. Nothing.He brings up a very legitimate concern about an item that is used to marginalized women and how it could pose a security threat.

It is painfully obvious that most of the posters here are teenagers. They’re so eager to virtue signal that they don’t even stop to think if they have any idea what they’re talking about.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Who is silencing them??

I don't think that anyone in here has said that he should lose the right to speech.
What is the point of Gackle highlighting them though? To me he's trying to intimidate Binnington into not putting his opinions out there or he's just a hypocrite and trying to get him off his game before a playoff game.

Twitter isn't going to suspend or de-platform him, but what are Gackle's intentions, they aren't genuine.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Was a safe space created already? I dont want to read through 13 pages.....
Might as well just do yourself a favor and stay away from all this. That this even broke makes the WFP look like clowns.

What is the point of Gackle highlighting them though? To me he's trying to intimidate Binnington into not putting his opinions out there or he's just a hypocrite and trying to get him off his game before a playoff game.

Twitter isn't going to suspend or de-platform him, but what are Gackle's intentions, they aren't genuine.

This is exactly 100% what this was all about.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Xenophobic stuff about burkas and immigrant taxi drivers, might be a hit piece but Binnington created the opportunity all by himself. Not a good look.
Exactly.

Always amuses me when the defense brigade for xenophobia cries out that people are making a mountain out a molehill or people shouldn't be responsible for the content they espoused as teenagers. Don't say and do stupid hateful shit. It shouldn't be that hard. And if you do, understand and acknowledge your mistakes and learn from your intolerant ignorance.

As per usual, we have those who subscribe to the same ideology in this thread (proudly) trying to convince themselves and others that comments like those referenced from Binnington are simply a "difference of opinion" and attempting to be the arbiter of what others should or should not be offended by. Easy to spot the roaches.

Last edited:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
It's not like him or the Blues started this ****fest.
Of course he did. He put them out on Twitter.

He’s lucky he doesn’t box or play in NFL or NBA. Fair number of very high profile Muslim athletes who play in all three. Maybe they, or one of their mothers or sisters would be offended.

Holyfield
Ali (RIP)
Tyson
Khan
Rahman
Hopkins
Olajuwon
Jabar
O’Neal

And NFL is pretty loaded as well.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Seems like a lot of people in this thread don’t understand the difference between the Burqa and the Hijab.

A burqa covers the woman’s entire hair, face, and body, leaving just a tiny thin slab for them to see out of.

The Muslim Canadian Congress, for example, 100% supports the banning of the Burqa, and lists it as a “practice that marginalized women”.

Claiming that criticism of the Burqa is “xenophobic” and requires “education” hinges with irony.

Those who are open minded about other cultures and stand for social justice and equality are the very people who OPPOSE burqas, not defend them.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with his tweets. Nothing.He brings up a very legitimate concern about an item that is used to marginalized women and how it could pose a security threat.

So much this. I 100% people encouraging making fun of the burka or criticizing the burka because it's an absurdly sexist and archaic symbol of misogyny that has no place in the modern world. It's the same way as making fun of or criticizing things like a dowry, that doesn't make you racist or xenophobic. It means you're criticizing a basic violation of human rights.

Reactions: wolfofthesteppes

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
No he wasn't, he was talking about wearing a burka in general.

Why do people interpret that tweet to mean that speaking a foreign language was the problem there? Why couldn't it have been "I'd rather be listening to the radio than listening to a phone call, and the guy is speaking in a foreign language for background info"?
I feel like when he said "people who wear the burkas" he was talking about people who wear burkas.

Why do people interpret that tweet like that? Because they're not naive.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

It is painfully obvious that most of the posters here are teenagers. They’re so eager to virtue signal that they don’t even stop to think if they have any idea what they’re talking about.
Right. It's sort of like criticizing the treatment of gays in the Islamic communities and then being labeled Islamophobic.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Says more about the paper than it does Binnington.

Paper's the ref. Jets fans should be the Hanson brother:

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Chips

Aug 19, 2015

He’s lucky he doesn’t box or play in NFL or NBA. Fair number of very high profile Muslim athletes who play in all three. Maybe they, or one of their mothers or sisters would be offended.

Holyfield
Ali (RIP)
Tyson
Khan
Rahman
Hopkins
Olajuwon
Jabar
O’Neal

Probably not before some SJW felt the need to dig it up after Binnington became famous. They probably never would have seen it

Funny how zealots practically amplify the very thing they claim to want to eradicate

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like when he said "people who wear the burkas" he was talking about people who wear burkas.

That tweet wasn't even remotely bad, the only one that bordered on bad was the joke about burkas. To say "how does TSA know who is wearing the burka" isn't even remotely racist, unless somehow just mentioning the burka makes you racist.

Why do people interpret that tweet like that? Because they're not naive.

No, because they're going in with an agenda because they want to be offended and scream about how righteous and non-racist they are.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
How exhausting is it constantly patting yourself on the back for never making a joke in your life? You're an inspiration.

It's wild seeing how many people on here are flipping out over these harmless tweets. They aren't even racist. They have to do with visual identification and no one likes listening to a phone conversation in a cab instead of music. Especially when you can't even understand what is being said.

Are some of you in the real working world? Serious question. People of all genders, races, religions, etc say way worse **** than this on a daily basis and everyone moves on with their lives 99% of the time (some people go too far, and that 1% gets fired). I can rattle of a dozen worse things I heard today alone in meetings. Yet here we are criticizing a guy for something he said as a kid. Get over yourselves.

As I said earlier in this thread: People who look for things to be offended by are pathetic. Gotta be a rough way to go through life. Must be fun at parties.
I’ve made plenty of insensitive jokes - as most have.

I’m not stupid enough to put them on Twitter. Not a public figure, but some of my customers might not think all my jokes are knee slappers. Common sense.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis

Holyfield
Ali (RIP)
Tyson
Khan
Rahman
Hopkins
Olajuwon
Jabar
O’Neal

No, he didn't, because they aren't bad tweets.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Probably not before some SJW felt the need to dig it up after Binnington became famous. They probably never would have seen it

Funny how zealots almost amplify the very thing they claim to want to eradicate
But he is famous and people have seen them.

Twitter is not always your friend.

I’m not trying to amplify what he’s said. I just think he’s a fool.

Expect the Peg fans to ride him hard. We’ll see how he responds to playoff pressure. :laugh:

This is not the biggest deal in the world, but if you think Blues management wants this sort of issue out there — and I’m NOT saying it’s earth shattering - I’m going to have to disagree with you.

Meanwhile there’s a few young NHL’ers scrolling through their Tweets to delete stupid kid stuff.

Tell the edgy jokes at parties, not on Twitter. All I’m saying.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
That tweet wasn't even remotely bad, the only one that bordered on bad was the joke about burkas. To say "how does TSA know who is wearing the burka" isn't even remotely racist, unless somehow just mentioning the burka makes you racist.

No, because they're going in with an agenda because they want to be offended and scream about how righteous and non-racist they are.
The tweet wasnt remotely bad TO YOU. Do you fall into the demographic he's talking about? If not, then your opinion on if its offensive or not is irrelevant.

Like I would agree with you that theres not much to be offended by with these tweets, but im not in a position to determine that.

Its like if I made a joke about black people, and a black person got offended by it. I cant tell that black person not be offended by it because im not black. I might not find it offensive, but that doesnt mean anything.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005

It's ironic to complain about the irony of others' complaints - when you are neglecting the fact that while yes, some women in Burqas are marginalized, it is in fact marginalizing to prevent women who WANT to use them from doing so. Perhaps the teenagers on the site aren't the only problem.

Reactions: 4Orr

Kreegz2

Dec 11, 2011
Don't say and do stupid hateful ****. It shouldn't be that hard.

Binnington didnt do or say anything hateful though. Thats the issue. Our side is perfectly willing to debate these matters, but it seems your side is content to plug your ears and call us roaches.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
The tweet wasnt remotely bad TO YOU. Do you fall into the demographic he's talking about? If not, then your opinion on if its offensive or not is irrelevant.

Its like if I made a joke about black people, and a black person got offended by it. I cant tell that black person not be offended by it because im not black. I might not find it offensive, but that doesnt mean anything.

Exactly. And really, this should be basic common sense.

Binnington didnt do or say anything hateful though. Thats the issue. Our side is perfectly willing to debate these matters, but it seems your side is content to plug your ears and call us roaches.

See the post above. Do you fall into the demographic he was referencing/making comments about? If not then it's not up to you to determine if his comments were intolerant or not.

"Our side"? Is that the side that marches with Tiki torches in the streets calling black people the n-word and screaming "Jews will not replace us"? I don't consider myself on any "side". I believe in empathy and compassion for other people and don't tolerate xenophobia towards those who are subject to distasteful comments. Shouldn't most people be?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Like I would agree with you that theres not much to be offended by with these tweets, but im not in a position to determine that.

Its like if I made a joke about black people, and a black person got offended by it. I cant tell that black person not be offended by it. I might not find it offensive, but that doesnt mean anything.

I can agree with this entirely, but my issue is that the people screaming that it's offensive aren't the people in the demographic he's talking about. I can totally get this argument if many Muslim women were saying it was offensive and I was arguing "lol you guys are idiots", but that's not the case. Go through twitter, it's the same white far left libs who do this all of the time screaming about how it's racist and it's a hack male journalist bringing up the tweets in the first place.

If there were Muslim women saying it was offensive, I wouldn't tell them they're wrong because they're allowed to feel offended. The problem is that they're not the ones saying it's offensive.

Exactly. And really, this should be basic common sense.

So where are all of these Muslim women saying it's offensive? Hell, if you wanted me to place a bet, I'd be saying that Muslim women would be offended that people are in essence defending the burka by going after someone who criticized it/joked about it.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Absolutely. No good will from press on this. My only point is why give them cannon fodder and how many times are we going to see it happen that past Twitter comments come back to cause problems. This ain’t first public explanation we’ve seen.

Twitter is a one way broadcast to huge numbers of people if you’re in the public eye. Just as everyone has right to say his Tweets were not offensive, there are people out there who also have the right to think they are.

Why go there?

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
"Also If you're underage & nervous of getting into a bar, throw the damn burka on. no way the bouncer will get into that awkward questioning"

If you can't figure out why that is xenophobic and in bad taste you have the issue not me.

Snowflake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad