Winnipeg newspaper attempts a hit piece on Jordan Binnington ahead of Game 1, resurfacing old Tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It’s not fake outrage. I don’t think the tweets were the most offensive in the world, but they certainly were poorly thought out. He wants to say that to someone face to face? Fine, he’d probably have a dialogue. He’s a moron because Twitter is essentially a one way street. You put it out there and it goes to whoever sees it. Might as well go into the city center and say it on a rented microphone and boom box. Expect pushback, people ignoring you and, I’d imagine, some support.

If your son, who is trying to get a job in the world, said “hey Dad..... I’m thinking of posting xyz (his tweets). What do you think?”

If you don’t say “probably not a good idea”, you’d be doing him a disservice.

I don’t think he’s a heinous racist based on what I know of him. I do think he’s a fool.

I bet there are one or two Blues who think those tweets are either bad taste or not what they need on eve of playoffs.

And before we get angry at the press for digging it up, if you don’t put it out there, nothing to dig up.

They guy also doesn’t seem to have a good agent. In this day and age, any agent that isn’t saying “do you have foolish tweets out there” is not doing his job.

If there a 30 teams and just one team that thinks they don’t want that headache, then you’ve made it harder to get a job with 3% of your potential employers. I stand by my comment, the guy’s a fool for having those out there.

So, you just think it's dumb to use twitter or other social media? I mean, I agree with that, but those tweets in context are not problematic. The issue has to be with the "journalist" taking the tweets out of context.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
It’s not fake outrage. I don’t think the tweets were the most offensive in the world, but they certainly were poorly thought out. He wants to say that to someone face to face? Fine, he’d probably have a dialogue. He’s a moron because Twitter is essentially a one way street. You put it out there and it goes to whoever sees it. Might as well go into the city center and say it on a rented microphone and boom box. Expect pushback, people ignoring you and, I’d imagine, some support.

If your son, who is trying to get a job in the world, said “hey Dad..... I’m thinking of posting xyz (his tweets). What do you think?”

I don’t think he’s a heinous racist based on what I know of him. I do think he’s a fool.

I bet there are one or two Blues who think those tweets are either bad taste or not what they need on eve of playoffs.

And before we get angry at the press for digging it up, if you don’t put it out there, nothing to dig up.

They guy also doesn’t seem to have a good agent. In this day and age, any agent that isn’t saying “do you have foolish tweets out there” is not doing his job.

If there a 30 teams and just one team that thinks they don’t want that headache, then you’ve made it harder to get a job with 3% of your potential employers. I stand by my comment, the guy’s a fool for having those out there.
"I bet there are one or two Blues who think those tweets are either bad taste"

I can guarantee you that the entire team doesnt give a shit and neither do sane and fair minded people.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
They have to lift the face covering if requested to. They’ll sometimes go to a private room with a female security agent.

A person wearing a burka to sneak into a bar would be extremely suspicious considering most observant Muslims don’t drink.
Exactly. But don’t let sense get in the way of the people defending ridiculous tweets!

I travel a lot for work and I assure you it is not uncommon for people wearing Burkas asked/required to lift them for identification sake.

Again, I bet there are one or two Blues players thinking “yeah, we need this”.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I mean, I agree, women should have the right to choose what they wear. Islam, especially in the middle east tends to be grossly oppressive.

His tweets were dumb and I would consider them offensive. I don't think it's a huge issue, people can have ****ty opinions. I do think that we should be willing and able to point out when an opinion sucks.

With the added context of the political climate of that time, I don't see what's wrong with the tweets. It's really showing the issue about being able to identify a person that is wearing a burka, which was an issue at the time.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I dont think the comments were that bad, then again im not one of the people that could be offended by these comments.

But an actual apology probably would've been better than his response to these tweets.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Oh really? How would you feel if I said I think Americans are stupid for voting in Trump? I'm sure that would go over well in St. Louis. And, what if I thought that Americans wearing a MAGA hat in Canada should get special treatment and those that talk with a southern accent sound like they have marbles in their mouths? I know Trump has said that numerous times about Southerners.

I would feel like you are right.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I dont think the comments were that bad, then again im not one of the people that could be offended by these comments.

But an actual apology probably would've been better than his response to these tweets.
Apologize for what though? Apologize to who? It's not even like someone who saw the tweets was genuinely offended by them.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
This is great personality. The league needs more of this, we need less generic soundbytes and more of this.

OH WAIT. I guess speaking your mind is only personality in a narrow definition that fits hive mind on HF.

Mido

Dec 10, 2018
The last one was probably the worst one, implying a different language being spoken is just the last straw, so to speak. I said lots of shitty things when I was 19 too, it wears off.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Apologize for what though? Apologize to who? It's not even like someone who saw the tweets was genuinely offended by them.
I dont find his comments offensive, but im not the type of person he's talking about, so me finding it not offensive is irrelevant. But the people he's talking about could find it offensive.

And I feel like most of the people who saw the tweets were white, so yeah, they're not gonna have a problem with it.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
So, you just think it's dumb to use twitter or other social media? I mean, I agree with that, but those tweets in context are not problematic. The issue has to be with the "journalist" taking the tweets out of context.
I think it’s foolish to put out Tweets that might come back to bite you if you’re a public figure. If you did it when you were a kid, now you’re a pro making very good money, I’d imagine you can probably hire someone to wipe them. This isn’t a huge issue, but it’s not what the Blues want or need.

If he gets lit up, opposing fans will be chanting you can bet. Making problems where they don’t need to exist.

I’ve told insensitive jokes — I expect we all have. Putting them on public broadcast where you have no idea who sees them is indeed dumb. If you’re a public figure? That times two.

How many kids have been told to be careful with social media when applying to college? Colleges can and do search social media and make decisions based on what’s there.

Social media is not always your friend.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I dont find his comments offensive, but im not the typs of person he's talking about, so me finding it not offensive is irrelevant. But the people he's talking about could find it offensive.

Again, who is he talking about? He's talking about wearing a burka, he's not talking about any person or group of people.

It really shouldn't be hard. Who specifically should be offended and why specifically should they be offended?

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I think it’s foolish to put out Tweets that might come back to bite you if you’re a public figure. If you did it when you were a kid, now you’re a pro making very good money, I’d imagine you can probably hire someone to wipe them. This isn’t a huge issue, but it’s not what the Blues want or need.

If he gets lit up, opposing fans will be chanting you can bet. Making problems where they don’t need to exist.

I’ve told insensitive jokes — I expect we all have. Putting them on public broadcast where you have no idea who sees them is indeed dumb. If you’re a public figure? That times two.

How many kids have been told to be careful with social media when applying to college? Colleges can and do search social media and make decisions based on what’s there.

He probably didn't think to delete them because they aren't bad tweets.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
"I bet there are one or two Blues who think those tweets are either bad taste"

I can guarantee you that the entire team doesnt give a **** and neither do sane and fair minded people.
You can’t guarantee me any such thing. Because you don’t know.

I said I’d bet there’s one or two who think they don’t need this on eve of playoffs. They need this kid focusing on ONE thing. Keeping the puck out of the net.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I too believe that teenagers are incapble of ever growing up and maturing their world view. Bigotry is immutable and everyone who has ever engaged in bigoted speech should be mercilessly raked over the coals in public for the rest of their lives.

Reactions: Dbrownss and Sorry

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014

I said I’d bet there’s one or two who think they don’t need this on eve of playoffs. They need this kid focusing on ONE thing. Keeping the puck out of the net.
Yes I can, because I am always right.

Reactions: Default and Tryblot

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

I'm still trying to figure out from people that think the tweets are bad, why are they bad? The first 2 are in relation to a political debate at the time over whether immigrants becoming citizens could have their burka on or not for their picture. The 3rd tweet can either be described as anti-immigrant or just not liking taxi drivers talking on the phone in general. I don't think we have enough info on that one.

I genuinely want to know what the disconnect is between the people that are outraged and the people that don't think it's a big deal.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis

It's not like him or the Blues started this ****fest.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

How exhausting is it constantly patting yourself on the back for never making a joke in your life? You're an inspiration.

It's wild seeing how many people on here are flipping out over these harmless tweets. They aren't even racist. They have to do with visual identification and no one likes listening to a phone conversation in a cab instead of music. Especially when you can't even understand what is being said.

Are some of you in the real working world? Serious question. People of all genders, races, religions, etc say way worse shit than this on a daily basis and everyone moves on with their lives 99% of the time (some people go too far, and that 1% gets fired). I can rattle of a dozen worse things I heard today alone in meetings. Yet here we are criticizing a guy for something he said as a kid. Get over yourselves.

As I said earlier in this thread: People who look for things to be offended by are pathetic. Gotta be a rough way to go through life. Must be fun at parties.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Again, who is he talking about? He's talking about wearing a burka, he's not talking about any person or group of people.

It really shouldn't be hard. Who specifically should be offended and why specifically should they be offended?
I think he's talking about the group of people in America that wear burkas or speak other languages...

Again, im not in a position to say if those comments are something to be offended by.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think he's talking about the group of people in America that wear burkas

No he wasn't, he was talking about wearing a burka in general.

or speak other languages...

Why do people interpret that tweet to mean that speaking a foreign language was the problem there? Why couldn't it have been "I'd rather be listening to the radio than listening to a phone call, and the guy is speaking in a foreign language for background info"?

To me, you have to make gross reaches or assumptions to even make these border on offensive. You have to assume he was making fun of the burka (which I don't even see as bigoted because the concept of the burka is heinously sexist, it 100% should be criticized) or he is intolerant of other languages, which just shows you're going in there looking to be offended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad