Winnipeg looks good

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Little is on pace for 48 points with excellent defensive play after getting shuttered to the 2nd PP. the problem isn’t with Bryan Little, the problem is with your expectations of of a 2nd line C

Not at all. Little is in his last year as a 4.7M cap hit. He is going up to a 5,2M cap hit next year x 5, with expected continuance of his most production of a 60-65 pt pace to now on actually a 47 pt pace. How are my expectations a problem? When he has shown he can be as good and productive as 60 - 65 pts player.

Now that Statsny is the #2C, maybe the expectations drop since he will see less offensive responsibilities. But prior to this, you can't be telling me he has been as good as his past 2 seasons. Nor if Statsny signs and stays, I would say 5.2M per is probably the most you want to spend on a #3C in the NHL these days.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Not at all. Little is in his last year as a 4.7M cap hit. He is going up to a 5,2M cap hit next year x 5, with expected continuance of his most production of a 60-65 pt pace to now on actually a 47 pt pace. How are my expectations a problem? When he has shown he can be as good and productive as 60 - 65 pts player.

Now that Statsny is the #2C, maybe the expectations drop since he will see less offensive responsibilities. But prior to this, you can't be telling me he has been as good as his past 2 seasons.
Little was underpaid on his previous contract as a 1A/1B Centre. Now he is fairly paid as a 2C and still performing as such. 48 points is borderline first line these days. 60+ points is easily first line

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Last 63 games: Wheeler: 18 goals, 55 assists, 73 points. Laine: 31 goals, 22 assists, 53 points

Last 2 seasons: Wheeler: 44 goals, 103 assists, 147 points+14

Laine: 68 goals, 50 assists, 118 points, +8

You were saying?

I'm saying Laine is the better player.

You refuse to look into statistics that would show you more detail. Only with detail can you get clarity.

Tell me are their icetime and PP usage and linemates equal? How about you post average TOI and PP TOI? Shot accuracy and average distance of goals scored.

How about you look at Laines GF60-GA60 difference with the same center that Wheeler plays exclusively. Compare it to Wheeler.

Bring out those stats so we can get an honest view of what the big picture is.

If you limit your analysis from the onset to produce results you want to hear, it's a completely flawed, useless study. It doesn't survive the scientific method.

You were saying?

@JetsHomer

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Little was underpaid on his previous contract as a 1A/1B Centre. Now he is fairly paid as a 2C and still performing as such. 48 points is borderline first line these days. 60+ points is easily first line

47 points pace actually. But that was not the point in my post. Given Little has shown he can be better and more productive at 4.7 until this season where he as given a shot with Laine and Ehlers. Then 47 points pace would be disappointing given we are used to a higher standard of play. And starting next season he will be making 5.2M.

All I have to say, is I am happy the Jets got Statsny if you are happy with a 47 pt pace for a #2C. You should be over the moon with Statsny then after he is done this year with the Jets. I don't expect him to pot 2 pts a game the rest of the way, but I certainly expect more than a 47 pt pace from a #2C centering 2 talents like Laine and Ehlers. And to boot you lose nothing defensively from him.

Wedgeden

Mar 31, 2012
They mentioned in the broadcast that Laine has been focusing more on skating the past couple weeks. Prior to that he had apparently said that he'd been too worried about taking the perfect shot. What a night and day difference.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I have previously been able to gauge Laine fairly accurately through the last 3 years or so, but one trend has been clear, I'm always betting too low on him. He beats my predictions at every stage. And people really think that I'm overrating him, even though I'm just underestimating him less than most are.

I've said before 70+ goal seasons and around 140 pts max.

I have to correct that higher by the looks of it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Laine might get 70+ points on the third line.

Laine is just 1 pt off that pace right now. I think he is much stronger this season. He was tiring at this point last year. But this season, you get the feeling he is getting better as the year progresses. Look out, he may spark talk again as the best player picked from the 2016 draft. I think he is just starting to hit his stride.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Laine is just 1 pt off that pace right now. I think he is much stronger this season. He was tiring at this point last year. But this season, you get the feeling he is getting better as the year progresses. Look out, he may spark talk again as the best player picked from the 2016 draft. I think he is just starting to hit his stride.

Consequently, he was moved to the Little line around this time of the year. Coming off of league leading 2 months in ppg and gpg. He did tire I'm sure, like all players do during the season.

But why was he able to play 100+ games the previous season without ever dipping once?
He won gold in Liiga (and HE truly f***ing won that trophy for them)

He won the gold in WJC and was the MVP there (not officially)

He had silver medals in World championships and won the MVP award.

100+ games of just winning and MVP'ing and All-starring at 16-17 years of age, against men. High level professionals. He showed no slowing.

Why did he dip instantly after a loong hot streak and never came back offensively until the tail end of this season?

He was moved to Littles line and fell off the face of the earth. In preseason he played with Scheifele and Wheeler. He lead the preseason scoring and had a 5pt game etc. Back to Littles line for most of regular season. Now away from Little he is doing what, 2 ppg ?

I've arrived to the conclusion that it was the lineup change. And because I have arrived to that conclusion I can rather safely say it will be easily shown by statistics if one so chooses to dig them up. I trust my analysis but people can prove me wrong with facts.

Last edited:

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Wait...........are people trying to say Laine is better than Wheeler right now?

giphy.gif

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Same people that think Laine is going to put up 140+ points and pretty much solidifying himself as a top 5 player all time

I mean.....he could. His shot is out of this world.

He has a lot to fix before that comes to fruition though.

While he has speed, he still look awkward as hell skating.

He has good hands but needs some serious improvement.

It's his shot though....man....it's really something else.

The only reason I think he can reach those numbers is because of how raw he looks right now.

No way is he better than Wheeler at the moment though.

Reactions: Daximus

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

The only reason I think he can reach those numbers is because of how raw he looks right now.

If he had continued playing with Chef, nobody would question his position as the best player in the world at this point.

Now the lid has finally come off. Still not totally because they keep him playing 13 minutes a game kinda thing. If he was playing 19 minutes a game with Chef (or anyone except Little) nobody would have any shadow of a doubt anymore.

You will see very soon. He is threatening Gretzkys scoring pace as a teenager, likely will pass it. Needs 9 more goals.

And he does it with handcuffs on. Almost all on PP.

And away from Little he has been impossible to contain for opponents.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
If he had continued playing with Chef, nobody would question his position as the best player in the world at this point.

Now the lid has finally come off. Still not totally because they keep him playing 13 minutes a game kinda thing. If he was playing 19 minutes a game with Chef (or anyone except Little) nobody would have any shadow of a doubt anymore.

You will see very soon.

I don't think the "best player in the world" would require specific line mates to be the "best player in the world."

The best player in the world doesn't need to be on a specific line to be better. He would be the guy you put guys with to make THEM better.

Laine is an excellent finisher. One of the best in the world. At no point has he ever been the driving force on a line though. Ehlers is WAY better at creating space for himself.

Hands: Ehlers
Speed: Ehlers
Vision: Ehlers
Shot: Laine X 10000000000.

Don't get me wrong, Laine can pull off a toe drag and he has some pretty good board play, but he's not even close to where he needs to be to be in the "best player" category.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I don't think the "best player in the world" would require specific line mates to be the "best player in the world."

The best player in the world doesn't need to be on a specific line to be better. He would be the guy you put guys with to make THEM better.

Laine is an excellent finisher. One of the best in the world. At no point has he ever been the driving force on a line though. Ehlers is WAY better at creating space for himself.

Hands: Ehlers
Speed: Ehlers
Vision: Ehlers
Shot: Laine X 10000000000.

Don't get me wrong, Laine can pull off a toe drag and he has some pretty good board play, but he's not even close to where he needs to be to be in the "best player" category.

You can give subjective value to the "best player". I'm not talking about that.

I mean the truly most valuable player. You have to count the value from actual numbers. Like how much you contribute to the objective of the game. Who contributes the most is the most valuable player.

"Best player" is arbitrary. MVP is not.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
You can give subjective value to the "best player". I'm not talking about that.

I mean the truly most valuable player. You have to count the value from actual numbers. Like how much you contribute to the objective of the game. Who contributes the most is the most valuable player.

"Best player" is arbitrary. MVP is not.

Well that seems rather silly. If that was true, then the Hart trophy would just automatically go to whomever won the Art Ross.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I'll eat my hand if Laine ever puts up 140 points in this scoring environment. If Crosby can't do it then I don't think anyone will ever sniff 140 unless there are some major changes to the game. Let's not get carried away here boys.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
No it wouldn't. And it's not silly at all. It's perfectly logical and honest.
Well then why are you saying "You have to count the value from actual numbers. Like how much you contribute to the objective of the game. Who contributes the most is the most valuable player."?

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I'll eat my hand if Laine ever puts up 140 points in this scoring environment. If Crosby can't do it then I don't think anyone will ever sniff 140 unless there are some major changes to the game. Let's not get carried away here boys.

Yeah 140 is ridiculous. I don't think he will reach that level either.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
No it wouldn't. And it's not silly at all. It's perfectly logical and honest.

It's a simple way of viewing a complex game that doesn't always tell the full story.

If point totals are everything then what would be have to add to Laine to get Reilly Smith?

58 points > 53 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad