Winnipeg looks good

Status
Not open for further replies.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Maybe it would be best if there would be sort of BSL-4 class biowaste container zoo for us in these boards, equipped with oneway transparent virtual glass, so that others could watch (voluntary option) when we analyze Laine, and his surrounding habitats without continuous harassment to our studies by wisearse oneliners and sarcastic infantile whining. Then, occasionally after some clear, but uneasy consensual conclusion, some hardcore Laine-fanboy would come to make a public statement about the findings...

Joking aside.

Part of whole phenomenon is based to cultural things of Finns. We love discuss (contrary to stereotypic perception about Finns) if we have the topic and people who find interesting to debate about it. It's not always that we even try to ensure that our own opinion would be someway more right then others when we throw things to the collective mill to be discussed, it's just the way how different perceptions test each others, verifying or falsifying a claim, conjecture, or theory. It can be very painful to watch. We can even argue between each others over minor things with levels of apparent - but only superficial - person to person aggression and hostility, and it usually doesn't mean a ****!

It just happens to be so that HF's main boards are currently the most uncensored forum for these discussions. Problem is likely related to some difficulties to allocate enough moderation resources for more relevant and better fitting and appropriate sub-forums of the site.

There is that ignore button. Click it before making some stupid trollish comment with only intention to cause endless chain of retaliations.

We 're Finns.

Edit/add: Practical solution: Permanently pinned 'Laine -megathread' at Jets forums, pinned to stay on the first page (honestly, it's hard to believe it would ever drop out of first page :D), but always at the bottom of it, point being that it also stays there. Such thread should have under close supervision, but with minimum censorship applied to it. Bursts of outpouring Laine-hype at main boards could be relatively easily transferred to it too. That's my 'biowaste container bin concept', in it's simplicity. Win-win. :)

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
man WPG is a good team. really good.

Yeah but they have absolutely 0 playoff success/experience as a team. I think this can be a real problem for them this year.

Very few teams get it right the first time around regardless of how good they look in the regular season

Vegas has the same problem.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Agree with the comments of the only thing that would worry about me from a Winnipeg standpoint is will their goaltending hold up in the playoffs. Also Maurice is not going to win you games on coaching alone, just hope he does not lose you games would be my hope if you are a Jets fan.

This team is deep and will be deeper when they get their full line up back. Adding Statsny to center Laine and Ehlers is already paying dividends. Their chemistry is apparent, and will only get better I surmise with more familiarity with each other.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Helle's problem last year was going down early and letting in soft goals. For the most part this year he corrected both. But lately he has been back to letting in the soft goals. I've never had full trust in him. Luckily we have two very good backup goalies in case Helle can't handle the pressure.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Jets fans, Blues fan here.

That game was awesome last night win or lose. That offense is just unreal. Goaltending just fell a bit short.

I thought Stas fit in perfectly on the PP and loved watching that line play. What'd you think of his first game?

My team officially croaked last night, so I'll probably be a Jets fan for the remainder of this season. Good luck!

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
What's going on with Bryan Little this year? I don't recall him being as bad as he has been this season.

I'm hoping injury but he has been pretty bad since last seasons end quarter. He suffered from ELL but other than a few positive glimpses he has been a total non-factor even in other lines. Yesterday I was trying to find him on the ice and he was actually hard to find on TV screen because it follows the puck and these days Little is completely outside of the play.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm hoping injury but he has been pretty bad since last seasons end quarter. He suffered from ELL but other than a few positive glimpses he has been a total non-factor even in other lines. Yesterday I was trying to find him on the ice and he was actually hard to find on TV screen because it follows the puck and these days Little is completely outside of the play.

Little is signed for 4 more years after this season at 5.2M per. I know it's only a game and Little may bounce back in the playoffs or next year. But I'd have to find a way to re-sign Statsny next year. Only way I see this is if Little is moved to allocate the cap assets to him. It's obvious very early on his chemistry with Laine and Ehlers is attractive if Chevy wants to do this. Also he did waive his NTC to come to Winnipeg, he may be open to the idea.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Little is signed for 4 more years after this season at 5.2M per. I know it's only a game and Little may bounce back in the playoffs or next year. But I'd have to find a way to re-sign Statsny next year. Only way I see this is if Little is moved to allocate the cap assets to him. It's obvious very early on his chemistry with Laine and Ehlers is attractive if Chevy wants to do this. Also he did waive his NTC to come to Winnipeg, he may be open to the idea.

After he plays with Ehlers and Laine he will want to stay. The pending cup helps too.

And yeah I would make a business decision with Little but most of the fanbase would not.

Reactions: Asiantuntija

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
After he plays with Ehlers and Laine he will want to stay. The pending cup helps too.

And yeah I would make a business decision with Little but most of the fanbase would not.

I'd wait on Little a little bit. He has proven to be a good player in the past. But if he does not pick it up. He may be the guy that is expendable if Chevy attempts to re-sign Statsny. Which we know he already did at one point. And based on his comments on him at the trade deadline, would love to have him on the team.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
LOL!

I'm Laine fanboy too, sure. But when it's clear I'm also fan of Psych0dad , should I be concerned?!

Of course I do not agree with him in all of his stipulations, but but WOW! that tenacity and endurance far above and beyond the call of duty (of casual Laine fanboy) against nealry overwhelming odds. How anyone couldn't love and respect that!?!

Psych0dad The Warrior monk of the Cult of Laine. :yo:

Lol thanks, respect brother.

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
My expectations for the Jets from the beginning of the season was to make the playoffs. And it looks like they are on their way to the playoffs.

My concern is, they’ve been good with their special teams. They’ve drawn a lot of penalties with their skill and speed and have been able to capitalize on the power plays. This all good in the regular season, but we all know what happens in the playoffs.

A minor slash/hook/trip/interference is not going to draw penalties. So there goes your power play goals. And those minor slash/hook/trip/interference will slow down the speed and skill.

This is when playoff hockey experience comes to play. That Hartnel hook on Ehlers last night would never get called in the playoffs.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Jets fans, Blues fan here.

That game was awesome last night win or lose. That offense is just unreal. Goaltending just fell a bit short.

I thought Stas fit in perfectly on the PP and loved watching that line play. What'd you think of his first game?

My team officially croaked last night, so I'll probably be a Jets fan for the remainder of this season. Good luck!
He seems really solid, that can become a really good line once they start meah a bit more. Overall im optinistic to see laine at 5v5 again.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I'd wait on Little a little bit. He has proven to be a good player in the past. But if he does not pick it up. He may be the guy that is expendable if Chevy attempts to re-sign Statsny. Which we know he already did at one point. And based on his comments on him at the trade deadline, would love to have him on the team.
Little is on pace for 48 points with excellent defensive play after getting shuttered to the 2nd PP. the problem isn’t with Bryan Little, the problem is with your expectations of of a 2nd line C

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
So your sample size of Laine being defensively better is 5 games? We can grab a strech of 5 games where Wheeler has superior stats to Laine too.
His argument for Laine being better defensively is that in 2 games when the Jets didn’t have last change, the opposing players played their best offensive talent against the Laine line while playing their best defensive players against the Wheeler line. He’s been ‘watching hockey’ for 30 years but still thinks opposing coaches playing their best offensive talents against Laine (when their teams are down and seeking a goal) means that they respect him more defensively. After all, when coaches are looking for a goal they always try to get their best players out against the other teams ‘best’ defensive players, right?

Best to just ignore the rabid Laine fanboys. By and large their opinions are just clueless. Most have about zero understanding of hockey. Wheeler is far better than Laine at literally every aspect of hockey than putting the puck in the net. Anyone that watches the Jets and has even the slightly understanding of hockey can see this. But of course the Laine fanboys will laser focus on Laine’s best stretch of the season offensively and ignore the fact that Wheeler has more assists than Laine has points....

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
You probably didn’t get a chance to follow the Laine threads on the Jets board but there have been civil wars with less blood shed. Ask the mods how The Jets fan base and Laine fans play together?

At a minimum you will need at least two cans of paint, two different colours, and two brushes.

How about two separate Laine threads?

Patrik Laine discussion (logic only)

Patrik Laine discussion (emotion based)

And then everyone could find their own preferred crowd? Those who like to say things that aren't true could go in the emotion thread and those who like facts would populate the other one.

That's where the divide is, so why not divide it into two threads? We can't have discussions where reality and fantasy clash, they aren't compatible.

In a perfect logical world we would have only one thread and full co-operation and mutual understanding of basics but due to the duncical equilibrium we kinda need to keep the conversations separate. People get offended by the truth and they start lashing out in anger. And others get frustrated about the inability of some to understand basics.

If there would be a natural order there, the correct arguments would win over incorrect ones. But because the discussion is moderated, a lot of bad ideas go unchallenged (or else...), and are supported by a false notion of it being the greater good to just conform to false narratives.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Just looked over the matchups from the Dallas/St.Louis games, the only time since the bump to the third line when opposing coaches have had last change. When trailing and desparate for a goal, Yeo played

Sobotka, Stastny, Steen, Edmundson, Pietrangelo against the Wheeler line. Laine got Scwartz, Scheen, Tarasenko, Bouwmeester, Parayko

In the Dallas game, again with Hitchcock desperate for a goal Wheeler played against

Eli - Speeza- Faksa, Johns, Methot while Laine faced down Radulov - Benn - Seguin, Lindell, Klingberg

@Psych0dad’s thoughts: “this means they respect Laine defensively. I am a very smart individual :)

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
His argument for Laine being better defensively is that in 2 games when the Jets didn’t have last change, the opposing players played their best offensive talent against the Laine line while playing their best defensive players against the Wheeler line. He’s been ‘watching hockey’ for 30 years but still thinks opposing coaches playing their best offensive talents against Laine (when their teams are down and seeking a goal) means that they respect him more defensively. After all, when coaches are looking for a goal they always try to get their best players out against the other teams ‘best’ defensive players, right?

Best to just ignore the rabid Laine fanboys. By and large their opinions are just clueless. Most have about zero understanding of hockey. Wheeler is far better than Laine at literally every aspect of hockey than putting the puck in the net. Anyone that watches the Jets and has even the slightly understanding of hockey can see this. But of course the Laine fanboys will laser focus on Laine’s best stretch of the season offensively and ignore the fact that Wheeler has more assists than Laine has points....

The problem with strawmen is that they just need someone to hold a flame to them for a second and they go up in smoke.

I'm not even going to bother addressing this now. Playoffs and after extension is signed we will see who was right.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Just looked over the matchups from the Dallas/St.Louis games, the only time since the bump to the third line when opposing coaches have had last change. When trailing and desparate for a goal, Yeo played

Sobotka, Stastny, Steen, Edmundson, Pietrangelo against the Wheeler line. Laine got Scwartz, Scheen, Tarasenko, Bouwmeester, Parayko

In the Dallas game, again with Hitchcock desperate for a goal Wheeler played against

Eli - Speeza- Faksa, Johns, Methot while Laine faced down Radulov - Benn - Seguin, Lindell, Klingberg

@Psych0dad’s thoughts: “this means they respect Laine defensively. I am a very smart individual :)

You're kinda missing the part that they lost the game trying to play their best players against Laine. He killed them. He was the difference with 13 minutes of icetime.

I haven't argued at any point that opponents play their best line against Laine because they think he is their best defensive player. You completely made that argument up. That's reverse actually.

Just keep ignoring reality.

Last 5 games:

Wheeler
2 goals, 7 assists. -1
18 shots
Icetime between 17:41 and 21:53

Laine
5 goals, 4 assists. +7
11 shots
Icetime between 12:50 and 15:06

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Last 63 games: Wheeler: 18 goals, 55 assists, 73 points. Laine: 31 goals, 22 assists, 53 points

Last 2 seasons: Wheeler: 44 goals, 103 assists, 147 points+14

Laine: 68 goals, 50 assists, 118 points, +8

You were saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad