SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
IF... WPG is thinking of the future...

Byfuglien, Little

to the Islers for

Hamonic, deHaan, Halak, futures

Isles get top RH D to play with Leddy. Little, to play RW with Tavares. experienced vets for PO drive.

WPG gets LH depth in deHaan, Hamonic (going home) to replace Buff, Halak, who can help them next year, + picks/prospects for future (TBD)

In theory this isn't actually that bad for us, however outside of Scheifele we don't have any top centremen or youth who could challenge for the spot. Perreault would be next in line but he's better as a winger and likely to be moved/exposed.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
This is very confusing. This rumor is two months too late. They need to trade an extra forward or pick for a defensemen on an ELC for this to make sense.

I think it shows they had no idea how the Tyler Myers injury/personal problem was going to go. He's played 11 games this year, but I image he still gets protected.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
This is very confusing. This rumor is two months too late. They need to trade an extra forward or pick for a defensemen on an ELC for this to make sense.

I think it shows they had no idea how the Tyler Myers injury/personal problem was going to go. He's played 11 games this year, but I image he still gets protected.

Myers could be deemed exempt simply because of his injury issues. I feel like they may be banking on this.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Myers could be deemed exempt simply because of his injury issues. I feel like they may be banking on this.

His injury is not classified as a career-ending one, so that possibility goes out of the window. And believe you me, the amount of organizations who are planning their expansion moves based on an injury is zero.

Should Myers not play for the rest of the season, he may be exposed. That is quite unlikely, as we would be able to protect enough of our best forwards to make Myers enticing again. It's not worth speculating at this point, to be honest. Too many moving parts.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
No sense rushing and adding someone this year. Unless they have another couple years of term. But if thats the case the expansion draft makes it tough. May as well wait until the summer. And my guess is a package around Little+ for an actual top 4 Dman+. Little will be in his last year next year, no sense waiting and trading him for much less at the TD. If the Jets do that and keep Scheifele, Perreault, Petan and Lowry down the middle, or even Roslovic they will be alright. Can even toss in a 3C with a year or 2 left to lessen the blow.

You wanna trade Bryan Little? For a 2nd pairing defenseman? Have you been painting with the windows shut? Bryan Little is 0.88pts/g. Better if you consider that one of those games, he played a single shift before being injured. That's 20th in the league. 3rd on our team. There are 17 teams that don't have a center as productive as he's been so far this season, and he's considered one of the top 10 shutdown C in the league on top of that. Your desired return, would be the 3rd or 4th best defenseman on any given team, so on average somewhere between the 61st and 120th best defenceman in the league.

I don't want to lose Little for anything at all, nevermind a return that would make Chevy the laughing stock of the hockey world.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
And a top 29 coach.
Easy to blame coach look at Oilers last year with Tmac and this year by adding 3 solid NHL dman to roster . Jets are close to being a force a few tweaks needed might have to be done by moving a top core piece like Wheeler even though how much it stings he would bring a very good dman in return.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Easy to blame coach look at Oilers last year with Tmac and this year by adding 3 solid NHL dman to roster . Jets are close to being a force a few tweaks needed might have to be done by moving a top core piece like Wheeler even though how much it stings he would bring a very good dman in return.

Different situation, really. Mark Stuart is pretty much the only thing wrong with Winnipeg's D as far as personnel go. I firmly believe that it's the way our coach is deploying his defensemen and the "system" he's got them playing that is causing us to struggle as much as we have. A solid 3 LHD who can hop up to 2nd pairing in case of an injury is about all we need, talent-wise. There's usually a few of those guys in UFA every year. Certainly shouldn't cost a top 6 forward if we're going to trade for a guy like that.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Another reason the Jets may need another D.

http://jetsnation.ca/2017/2/9/by-th...the-nhl?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Estimates the WAR/GAR for the Jets D based on some of the models subcomponents. Trouba is a beast and may get into the top 10 NHL D this year, but after that the news isn’t good. Buff slips a bit and my end up outside the top 30 for the first time since ~2010. Enstrom has slipped noticeably and rates outside the top 120 (top 4) Morrissey may just barely squeak into the top 120. Postma does well for a bottom pair guy, but as an offensively oriented RHD he’s really far down the depth chart on this team.

Overall Enstrom’s decline means that the Jets really needs a LHD who can step into the #2 role.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Brendan Smith for a low pick or a project prospect.

With the playoffs becoming more out of reach I don't think the Jets are going to trade for non exempt D, but Smith would be a guy I would be approaching in FA in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad