Winnipeg Jets v1.0: Where are they now?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Doug Soetart was GM of the Everett Silvertips and is now scouting for Red Bull Salzburg in Austria.

Brian Hayward, currently Ducks homer colour guy and Teemu Selanne Master of Ceremonies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
He was a nice guy the past few years when he was working at Assiniboine Golf Club. Treated my senior citizen mom and her friends very well when they golfed each Wednesday.

I had a good conversation with him at the Ralph a couple years back when he was there to watch UND and I was there with DU alumni to watch the Pioneers lay a smackdown on the Sioux. Nice guy then too.

When he played in the MJHL for the Saints and my buddies played for the Blues they didn't really care for him.;)

did his voice ever recover?

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
Luciano Borsato lives in Toronto

When I was in university we managed to get tickets for about 10 guys about 10 rows or so behind the Jets bench. For whatever reason, we decided to cheer like madmen for Borsato. We would cheer when he touched the puck, we'd scream for him to be on during powerplays and penalty kill.

It was one of my fun memories of the 1.0 games I attended. I wonder if he remembers that game....he looked back at us and smiled quite a few times....and you could see other Jets asking him if we were his friends or family.

Good times

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
Dave Manson is coaching in the WHL somewhere, might be Prince Albert or one of the teams out in BC, can't recall exactly. Russ Romaniuk lived in Winnipeg but recently moved back to SASK, met him a couple times, was a real ***** really.. Thought he was some superstar that everyone should know.

Didn't russ Romaniuk break his hand trying to fight three guys at a red light? Right in the middle of the season too I think....

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Jets that played on the 89-90 team:

Pat Elynuik- Runs hockey development camp in Calgary

Thomas Steen- former City Councillor, charged with assault last year.

Brent Ashton- "Following his career, Ashton returned to his hometown of Saskatoon where he operates Brent Ashton Sportswear, as well as coaches minor hockey."

Fredrik Olausson- coaches in the Swedish Elite League

Dave McLlwain- went overseas to play in Germany for a decade, until retiring in 2009.

Paul Fenton- assistant GM for Nashville Predators

Peter Taglianetti- lives in Pittsburgh, works with orthopedic surgeon, to help hockey players with performance and minimize injuries.

Bob Essensa- lives in Michigan, helps coach in the Bruins organization.

Doug Smail- lives in Colorado, and coaches minor hockey

Daniel Berthiaume- "lives in Hardy, Virginia, where he owns and operates Captain Bert's Fishin' Charters on Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia, a freshwater striped bass fishery."

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Phil Housley- lives in Minnesota, led USA to Gold Medal in 2013 World Jr Tourney.

Alexei Zhamnov- general manager of Vityaz Chekhov in the KHL

Darrin Shannon- resides in Alliston, Ontario and is an investment manager.

Troy Murray- Blackhawks radio color analyst.

Stu Barnes- lives in Plano, Texas as a Hockey Operations Consultant

Kris King- Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations for NHL's central office in Toronto.

Ed Olczyk- game analyst for the Chicago Blackhawks television broadcasts

Keith Tkachuk- lives in St.Louis, minor league hockey coach.

Mike Eagles- athletic director, St.Thomas University (Fredericton, NB)

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Jets that played on the 89-90 team:

Pat Elynuik- Runs hockey development camp in Calgary

Thomas Steen- former City Councillor, charged with assault last year.

Brent Ashton- "Following his career, Ashton returned to his hometown of Saskatoon where he operates Brent Ashton Sportswear, as well as coaches minor hockey."

Fredrik Olausson- coaches in the Swedish Elite League

Dave McLlwain- went overseas to play in Germany for a decade, until retiring in 2009.

Paul Fenton- assistant GM for Nashville Predators

Peter Taglianetti- lives in Pittsburgh, works with orthopedic surgeon, to help hockey players with performance and minimize injuries.

Bob Essensa- lives in Michigan, helps coach in the Bruins organization.

Doug Smail- lives in Colorado, and coaches minor hockey

Daniel Berthiaume- "lives in Hardy, Virginia, where he owns and operates Captain Bert's Fishin' Charters on Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia, a freshwater striped bass fishery."

this one is my favorite...

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Went to a hockey school when Laurie Boschman was a Jet and he and Doug Smail were there.

Boschman taught several things

Slash players on the back of the skates. You can use a very short slash to the back of the skates and it hurts like hell. It will get guys off what they are doing and start to get mad at you.

When you are going to take someone into the boards, put your butt end out about and inch and jam into the ribs. This hurts like hell and will get people to retalitate against you.
That's hilarious :laugh:

I used to work with someone here in Ottawa who knew him well.... their sons played hockey together.

He is the nicest, most soft-spoken guy you'll ever meet apparently, but as we all know he was an absolute terror on the ice.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Bill Derlago is a car dealer in Ont

Tim Watters, real estate agent in Pheonix

Dan Bylsma is currently ..........unemployed.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Went to a hockey school when Laurie Boschman was a Jet and he and Doug Smail were there.

Slash players on the back of the skates. You can use a very short slash to the back of the skates and it hurts like hell. It will get guys off what they are doing and start to get mad at you.

When you are going to take someone into the boards, put your butt end out about and inch and jam into the ribs. This hurts like hell and will get people to retalitate against you.

Maybe the funniest part about this as it relates to Boschman is that he was/is a devout Christian, quite the dichotomy.

He runs an organization called Hockey Ministries International, training kids on how to dirt bag the opposition and then make peace with the Lord later :).

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
Maybe the funniest part about this as it relates to Boschman is that he was/is a devout Christian, quite the dichotomy.

He runs an organization called Hockey Ministries International, training kids on how to dirt bag the opposition and then make peace with the Lord later :).

:laugh:

Too funny.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

So when people say Luongo was the only goalie captain, we do have another example...

:D

seasontixholder*

Phil Housley- lives in Minnesota, led USA to Gold Medal in 2013 World Jr Tourney.

Alexei Zhamnov- general manager of Vityaz Chekhov in the KHL

Darrin Shannon- resides in Alliston, Ontario and is an investment manager.

Troy Murray- Blackhawks radio color analyst.

Stu Barnes- lives in Plano, Texas as a Hockey Operations Consultant

Kris King- Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations for NHL's central office in Toronto.

Ed Olczyk- game analyst for the Chicago Blackhawks television broadcasts

Keith Tkachuk- lives in St.Louis, minor league hockey coach.

Mike Eagles- athletic director, St.Thomas University (Fredericton, NB)

But a major league jerk.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com

Sounds like Boschman ;)

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Aside about Cheveldae: in the Jets v1.0 final season, my Atom AA team was selling 50-50 tickets at a game. It was actually the one vs. Edmonton where Deron Quint scored the quickest two goals in NHL history. Our team was standing in the tunnels of the arena about 2 hours before the game, and the "Original" Chevy walks by.

My teammate: Hey Chevy, you starting tonight?
Cheveldae: Yep.
Teammate: Aww, we're gonna lose tonight!

Looking back, he was a really good sport about it, just laughed and shook his head.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
this one is my favorite...

a dozen years ago living in NC I went to quite a few Greensboro Generals games. He was already retired and running his fishing outfit 90 miles north of there, but they called him out of retirement for a few games when they had injury problems. I just about spat out my beer when they announced him as the starting goalie one night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad