Winnipeg Jets v1.0: Where are they now?

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Remember these guys?

Poolintwins_zpsc6360be2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Didn't quite work out too well. I thought they would be the next big players for the Jets at one point in time. Anyways, Paul is an associate coach at the University of Notre Dame. I am not sure where Perry is but heard he was coaching high school and AAA in Ohio.

http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/paul_pooley_194096.html

Vaguely ... what year was that?

Where's Ron "Bam Bam" Ashton these days? Or Ron Snell?

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
^^^84-85^^^ had a decent college career at Ohio State.

Do you mean Brent Ashton and Ron Loustel? Don't recall the other guys.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario

While not wishing to question Wikipedia's status as the source of all truth, the stat line of 16 goals, 20 assists and 366 penalty minutes in 36 lifetime games doesn't quite accord with my recollections (except maybe the 366 penalty minutes). That would have been quite the career!

100 penalty minutes in a game was impressive, though.

seasontixholder*

Joe Daley still has his card shop. And Perry Miller although he only played for the WHA Jets, he used to be the manager at Wise Guys downtown years ago.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Wonder what Barry Long and Teddy Green are up to these days? Green was one of the few Manitobans to ever actually play for the Jets.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
While not wishing to question Wikipedia's status as the source of all truth, the stat line of 16 goals, 20 assists and 366 penalty minutes in 36 lifetime games doesn't quite accord with my recollections (except maybe the 366 penalty minutes). That would have been quite the career!

100 penalty minutes in a game was impressive, though.

Hockeydb doesn't concur with the Wikipedia entry: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=8601

36 GP, 1 G, 3 A and 66 PIM...so not sure how he could've gotten 100 in a game.

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
Wonder what Barry Long and Teddy Green are up to these days? Green was one of the few Manitobans to ever actually play for the Jets.

Well, Ted Green did go on to be an assistant with the great Oilers in the 80s. Perhaps he still lives in Edmonton?

As for Barry Long - have no idea where he is these days.

RonJon

May 18, 2011
I believe Laurie Boschman is in Ottawa in Real Estate

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Went to a hockey school when Laurie Boschman was a Jet and he and Doug Smail were there.

Boschman taught several things

Slash players on the back of the skates. You can use a very short slash to the back of the skates and it hurts like hell. It will get guys off what they are doing and start to get mad at you.

When you are going to take someone into the boards, put your butt end out about and inch and jam into the ribs. This hurts like hell and will get people to retalitate against you.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

Ted Green lives in New Jersey, i believe.
i'm friends with his niece. super nice guy (i've talked to him on the phone once before)

hockey-brent

Sep 1, 2006
Winnipeg
Well, Ted Green did go on to be an assistant with the great Oilers in the 80s. Perhaps he still lives in Edmonton?

As for Barry Long - have no idea where he is these days.

Barry Long is living out in Edmonton. He was scouting for the Sharks until a few years back, I think he's since retired.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Went to a hockey school when Laurie Boschman was a Jet and he and Doug Smail were there.

Boschman taught several things

Slash players on the back of the skates. You can use a very short slash to the back of the skates and it hurts like hell. It will get guys off what they are doing and start to get mad at you.

When you are going to take someone into the boards, put your butt end out about and inch and jam into the ribs. This hurts like hell and will get people to retalitate against you.

I think Evander Kane must have attended the Doug Smail school of how to shoot high and wide. :)

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Ted Green lives in New Jersey, i believe.
i'm friends with his niece. super nice guy (i've talked to him on the phone once before)

Well that's pretty cool, I had completely forgot he coached with those mid '80's Oiler teams but now I remember it plain as day.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Serge Savard is Senior VP of the Montreal Canadiens.........and a HOF'er.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Dave Manson is coaching in the WHL somewhere, might be Prince Albert or one of the teams out in BC, can't recall exactly. Russ Romaniuk lived in Winnipeg but recently moved back to SASK, met him a couple times, was a real ***** really.. Thought he was some superstar that everyone should know.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Well that's pretty cool, I had completely forgot he coached with those mid '80's Oiler teams but now I remember it plain as day.

he was an assistant coach with the Rangers for a few years. hence the New Jersey residence.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Dave Manson is coaching in the WHL somewhere, might be Prince Albert or one of the teams out in BC, can't recall exactly. Russ Romaniuk lived in Winnipeg but recently moved back to SASK, met him a couple times, was a real ***** really.. Thought he was some superstar that everyone should know.

He was a nice guy the past few years when he was working at Assiniboine Golf Club. Treated my senior citizen mom and her friends very well when they golfed each Wednesday.

I had a good conversation with him at the Ralph a couple years back when he was there to watch UND and I was there with DU alumni to watch the Pioneers lay a smackdown on the Sioux. Nice guy then too.

When he played in the MJHL for the Saints and my buddies played for the Blues they didn't really care for him.;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad