Winnipeg Jets v1.0: Where are they now?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
187.gif

There are going to be some dandies here.
e.g. Pat Elynuik runs a hockey development camp
Ray Neufeld used to teach St John's Ambulance. I last saw him in Wpg in 1998.

Derfel*

Teemu Selanne is giving motivational speeches in Anaheim, and doesn't charge for overtime?

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
There is a disproportionate number of Jets 1.0 alum who have worked or are still working in hockey at the NHL level - coaching, scouting, etc. and that speaks to the great quality of the old Jets in Winnipeg.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Whatever happened to Mike Ford ... next to Sjoberg our top defenceman in the glory days of the team? He just vanished ... I don't think I've ever even heard his name since the end of the WHA.

Veli Pekka Ketola, I found out from HF Boards, is a Finnish TV hockey analyst. What about Heikki (Hexi) Riihiranta, though?

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
80-Jets.jpg

Here is a Q & A with Doug Smail I did back in 2011.

We have chatted on the show in the past with Phil Housley (Preds assistant coach) and Fredrik Olausson (living in Sweden). You can even go fishing with Daniel Berthiaume.

I'm positive I've done a post similar to this but I cannot for the life of me find it.

Yeah, I remember that Q&A with Smail. Good one.

Fishing with the Bandit? Count me in!:D

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Whatever happened to Mike Ford ... next to Sjoberg our top defenceman in the glory days of the team? He just vanished ... I don't think I've ever even heard his name since the end of the WHA.

Veli Pekka Ketola, I found out from HF Boards, is a Finnish TV hockey analyst. What about Heikki (Hexi) Riihiranta, though?

Heikki Riihiranta was the Finnish National team manager from 93 to 2003

seasontixholder*

Bill Lesuk lives down the street from me. He was a scout for Phoenix but I believe he is retired.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
When I was over in Bosnia in '97 I met Ed (Steady Eddy) Staniowski, he was a Major in the Canadian Forces.

ed_stan_soldier.jpg

(Photo: Lt. Col. Ed Staniowski in uniform on deployment in Afghanistan. - Eddie Staniowski)

http://www.reginapatsalumni.net/2011/05/ex-regina-pats-eddie-staniowski-sees.html

ETA: I wish I would have been able to catch up with him in '08 in Afghanistan but I really didn't even know he was there at the time.

Last edited:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

A few years ago someone told me he was living in Winnipeg and playing oldtimer hockey.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
A few years ago someone told me he was living in Winnipeg and playing oldtimer hockey.

Thanks ... thinking about it, it's kind of weird. You think of the Jets and it's all so memorable -- Hull-Nilsson-Hedberg, Joe Daley in net and on defence Sjoberg and ... and ... uh ... um ... oh right, Mike Ford! I must have heard Ken Nicolson say his name ten thousand times but I don't recollect him ever being singled out in any way or doing interviews or subsequently being remembered by anyone. Curious thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad