Winnipeg Jets Top 25 Under 25

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Sheifele missed game 7 and they lost.
The opposing coach said the reason they lost was because Scheifele didn't dress.

Yea Scheif had two 5 point games in that series alone and he destroyed his match ups. Colts should have won that series, they were up 3-1 and cruising until Camara took that bone headed suspension, Scheif got injured, and I think Hall might have been injured as well.

jetman

May 21, 2015

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Jeez I hope Helly comes in this year. I get this response just thinking about him...

quagmire_400x400.jpg

Is that wrong?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Exactly my thought, he has a ways to go and Im rooting for him, but Im not going to start pencilling him in as a ROR potential. That seems to be unrealistic.

Most all of our prospect dreams are unrealistic. Finding first liners is hard.

The reality is that even an outcome similar to Drew Stafford is about all you can expect or ask for in a player like Connor. Less is entirely possible. More is also possible. Zero NHL games is perhaps near or more likely than him becoming a Hart candidate.

Lots of maybes and guessing. Lots of projections. Few will land at the top end of their upside.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I would have been happy with him at the first pick. That was pre-Connor availability though.

I mentioned it earlier, but 5 on 5 scoring...

There are only few WHLers who have posted significantly higher 5 on 5 scoring at 17 years old over the last few years...

2011-12: Nobody over .74
2012-13: Only Petan was notably higher (1.07). Descheneau & Shinkaruk at .75
2013-14: Reinhart .95, Draisaitl. 92, Hawryluk .75, Scherbak .74, De Leo .74. Below them we're Virtanen and point.
2014-15: Barzal .77

That list is mostly elite players or undersized players that were downgraded due to size.

Just playing with some data I've been working on acquiring but I've got Harkins as 4th in the WHL last year in even strength primary assists.. I think his offensive ability / creativeness is super underrated.

PS another familiar name came in at #1 :p

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Just playing with some data I've been working on acquiring but I've got Harkins as 4th in the WHL last year in even strength primary assists.. I think his offensive ability / creativeness is super underrated.

PS another familiar name came in at #1 :p

That is what amuses me most.

People apologize for his lack of offense, but he was damn productive with no help.

it isn't like he racked up assists playing with a sniper.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
It's just such a weird scenario, literally none of the traditional reasons for a player falling apply to Harkins.. I legitimately don't understand why he fell as far as he did.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That is what amuses me most.

People apologize for his lack of offense, but he was damn productive with no help.

it isn't like he racked up assists playing with a sniper.

Probably because he doesn't look flashy doing it. I had to rewatch him to really appreciate how he is such a productive Player.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's just such a weird scenario, literally none of the traditional reasons for a player falling apply to Harkins.. I legitimately don't understand why he fell as far as he did.

Scheifele draft year 66 games, 75 pts = 1.136 ppg.
Harkins draft year 70 games, 79 pts = 1.129 ppg. That is less than the difference of a single point.

I never heard anyone say Scheifele had inadequate offensive potential.

Harkins fell because he was in an exceptionally strong deep draft class and didn't get any hype. We will be the beneficiaries. :)

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Scheifele draft year 66 games, 75 pts = 1.136 ppg.
Harkins draft year 70 games, 79 pts = 1.129 ppg. That is less than the difference of a single point.

I never heard anyone say Scheifele had inadequate offensive potential.

Harkins fell because he was in an exceptionally strong deep draft class and didn't get any hype. We will be the beneficiaries. :)

Yes, but the deal with Scheifele was the development curve, which was remarkably steep. I do hope you are right though!

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Sheifele missed game 7 and they lost.
The opposing coach said the reason they lost was because Scheifele didn't dress.
My recollection is that Scheifele was the odds-on favourite MVP and most talented offensive player in that series, but Horvat played him tough defensively, Scheif was productive but beaten up, and Horvat was the star in Game 7 and won MVP. Not bad for a kid who'd just turned 18.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Most all of our prospect dreams are unrealistic. Finding first liners is hard.

The reality is that even an outcome similar to Drew Stafford is about all you can expect or ask for in a player like Connor. Less is entirely possible. More is also possible. Zero NHL games is perhaps near or more likely than him becoming a Hart candidate.

Lots of maybes and guessing. Lots of projections. Few will land at the top end of their upside.

Nah. I don't lump Connor in with most prospects. He will be a special player, top 6 for sure in my books. He may not be a Hart candidate but he will be a key player for the Jets for a very long time.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
My recollection is that Scheifele was the odds-on favourite MVP and most talented offensive player in that series, but Horvat played him tough defensively, Scheif was productive but beaten up, and Horvat was the star in Game 7 and won MVP. Not bad for a kid who'd just turned 18.
Scheif was productive is like saying Ali could box...
He DOMINATED in that series.
The only reason the Colts lost was because Scheif missed the last game.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Nah. I don't lump Connor in with most prospects. He will be a special player, top 6 for sure in my books. He may not be a Hart candidate but he will be a key player for the Jets for a very long time.

Connor will become our 1LW.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Scheif was productive is like saying Ali could box...
He DOMINATED in that series.
The only reason the Colts lost was because Scheif missed the last game.

The way Scheifele dominated in that series went a long ways to convince me he was going to be a top Jet player one day. The kid hasn't disappointed since.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Well not really. PCS .5 says he has a 50% chance of doing any significant time in the NHL -- does it not

No, it means that 50% of players in similar height and scoring went on to play 200+ NHL games. And his PCS P/GP is even higher. Those are very good PCS numbers.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

100% agree. There is a reason Petan fell to us at 43 (thank god) because of a size bias. Other than a strong draft year there is zero reason Harkins fell to us at 47.

Do a little tap dance and enjoy :laugh:

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
100% agree. There is a reason Petan fell to us at 43 (thank god) because of a size bias. Other than a strong draft year there is zero reason Harkins fell to us at 47.

Do a little tap dance and enjoy :laugh:

Or Connor to 17, frankly.

Well, there is a reason, and his name rhymes with Schweeny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad