Winnipeg Jets Top 25 Under 25

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I would tend to agree. But I guess I put more weight on a higher ceiling than a higher floor? Of course I lean to the optimistic side.

Reality tends to favor realistic over optimistic.

I agree about Connor's ceiling. I am a huge fan, but I lean towards realism. I put a lengthy thought on his value relative to Petan and Burmi on page 1.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I did too... and I think Harkins is massively underrated.

I do too, truck.

Harkins has a chance to be a terrific player in a few years. It would not surprise me if he turned out to be the 'surprise' of the 2015 draft. The 2015 draft for the Jets was outstanding, IMO.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

I agree about Connor's ceiling. I am a huge fan, but I lean towards realism. I put a lengthy thought on his value relative to Petan and Burmi on page 1.

Absolutely. And Connor needs to prove his ability at a higher level. First in NCAA, then pro.

We all think he will, but until he has, a player that has performed at a higher level should be ranked higher, IMO.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

This may be true because of what you do as a writer. But my "fandom" has less constraints on it, so I will continue to favour potential and almost unreachable ceilings over what statistically is more realistic. After all that's our road to the cup.

That is until proven otherwise of course ;) I'm not delusional afterall :)

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I do too, truck.

Harkins has a chance to be a terrific player in a few years. It would not surprise me if he turned out to be the 'surprise' of the 2015 draft. The 2015 draft for the Jets was outstanding, IMO.

I am hopeful that he can be an ROR (or Bergeron if I am being unrealistically optimistic). It isn't the likely Scenario, but I think he has difference maker two-way skill. I also think he has the kind of game that could stand out very early.

I don't think he will make the team right away, but I do think he has that kind of potential.

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
This may be true because of what you do as a writer. But my "fandom" has less constraints on it, so I will continue to favour potential and almost unreachable ceilings over what statistically is more realistic. After all that's our road to the cup.

That is until proven otherwise of course ;) I'm not delusional afterall :)

There is no separation between my fandom and writing.

I am just a fan who writes about things that interest me. I have a different perspective than you as a fan. I guess I embrace reality and hope to be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed. That is the only real difference. I still hope for the best, I just don't bet or bank on it.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
He gives me that vibe as well, which is great because I really wanted Horvat back in 2013.

I'd love if Harkins turned out to be another Horvat. I liked Harkins with our second first and thought it was great value to get him in the second round. I feel like we could have three first round talents from this draft.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

I am just a fan who writes about things that interest me. I have a different perspective than you as a fan. I guess I embrace reality and hope to be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed. That is the only real difference. I still hope for the best, I just don't bet or bank on it.

I think most understand the reality of a player not reaching their full potential.

As a fan, having several prospect that sit outside of your top ten, with the potential to be a top 10 players for us down the road, that excites me.

The potential is high with many, odds are a few will reach their potential. Character guys like Harkins work hard at reaching their full potential.

Sure would be nice.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I'd love if Harkins turned out to be another Horvat. I liked Harkins with our second first and thought it was great value to get him in the second round. I feel like we could have three first round talents from this draft.

I would have been happy with him at the first pick. That was pre-Connor availability though.

I mentioned it earlier, but 5 on 5 scoring...

There are only few WHLers who have posted significantly higher 5 on 5 scoring at 17 years old over the last few years...

2011-12: Nobody over .74
2012-13: Only Petan was notably higher (1.07). Descheneau & Shinkaruk at .75
2013-14: Reinhart .95, Draisaitl. 92, Hawryluk .75, Scherbak .74, De Leo .74. Below them we're Virtanen and point.
2014-15: Barzal .77

That list is mostly elite players or undersized players that were downgraded due to size.

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

I have a different perspective than you as a writer. I guess I believe my opinion of Connor is reality, I expect to not be disappointed and be pleasantly correct with my opinion. I still hope Im not wrong but I bank on my opinion being correct. Using riddles means nothing to me, but what I do know is Connor is just too good to be that low, and that is the truth.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I do too, truck.

I liked our draft a lot, but I wanted no part of Harkins with our first two picks as I had many guys ahead of him. I was happy to get him where we did, but I am not as high on him as others. He is an interesting prospect but has a long way to go and I am more sceptical than most.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I liked our draft a lot, but I wanted no part of Harkins with our first two picks as I had many guys ahead of him. I was happy to get him where we did, but I am not as high on him as others. He is an interesting prospect but has a long way to go and I am more sceptical than most.

I wasn't as keen on him for one of our two first rounders, mostly because he doesn't seem to have as high end skating, pace and skill. I felt that the Jets still needed another home-run (or two) in the skill department. However, he's a great pick from the perspective of having a solid two-way player with good character who can play up and down the line-up.

I think he might be able to play at a higher pace if/when his skating and quickness improve. He does seem to have good hockey sense and anticipation. If he works hard on his quickness and ends up with good size, he could be a terrific top-9 forward.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I wasn't as keen on him for one of our two first rounders, mostly because he doesn't seem to have as high end skating, pace and skill. I felt that the Jets still needed another home-run (or two) in the skill department. However, he's a great pick from the perspective of having a solid two-way player with good character who can play up and down the line-up.

I think he might be able to play at a higher pace if/when his skating and quickness improve. He does seem to have good hockey sense and anticipation. If he works hard on his quickness and ends up with good size, he could be a terrific top-9 forward.

Exactly my thought, he has a ways to go and Im rooting for him, but Im not going to start pencilling him in as a ROR potential. That seems to be unrealistic.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I wasn't super keen on him with our first pick given what I saw of him at the U18's. Having said that I liked what I saw at the prospect camp and the highlight videos and I went back and watched a couple of U1i games and realized that my initial assessment of him was off. He played much better than I originally thought. His cycle and defensive games we're excellent. He was getting to the right spots consistently and he was creating a decent amount of scoring chances that weren't going in the net.

I'm actually pretty excited to see what he can do next year.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I wasn't super keen on him with our first pick given what I saw of him at the U18's. Having said that I liked what I saw at the prospect camp and the highlight videos and I went back and watched a couple of U1i games and realized that my initial assessment of him was off. He played much better than I originally thought. His cycle and defensive games we're excellent. He was getting to the right spots consistently and he was creating a decent amount of scoring chances that weren't going in the net.

I'm actually pretty excited to see what he can do next year.

Anyone wonder why so many teams passed on him? There is a reason he went where he did. Like I said, many better players to take in the first round this year which is why I didn't want him in top 25, but good value where he went, has a ways to go but his character should help him improve.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I certainly hope you are right!
I've followed Horvat closely since 2013, when he did a number on Scheifele and the Colts to win the OHL Championship and MVP award.
The other Wpg connection with Horvat is that he was essentially considered as valuable as our old friend Cory Schneider by the Canucks, who traded Cory to NJD for #9 OA. Schneider would have looked great between the pipes in Wpg for the last few years.
Oh well, guess we will have to live with Harkins and Hellebyuck instead of Horvat and Schneider.:D

I might be misremembering, but while the Knights won, didn't Scheifele put up a tonne of points that series? Scheifele had 41 points in 21 games that playoffs, and I think was injured towards the end?

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I am counting on a big season for Harkins as he leads Prince George this year in the WHL..... I am predicting a 90-100 PT season from him this year. A lot of teams are going to be kicking themselves for not taking him late 1 st or early - mid 2 nd.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I am counting on a big season for Harkins as he leads Prince George this year in the WHL..... I am predicting a 90-100 PT season from him this year. A lot of teams are going to be kicking themselves for not taking him late 1 st or early - mid 2 nd.

Add....... It will be interesting to watch how he develops compared to Daniel Sprong ........ Who was picked by Pitt with the pick just B4.

It appears Sprong is a high offence boom or bust pick and Harkins in a more steady 2- way player with offensive upside.

Sprong with some character issues and Harkins listed as a (TNSE) high character prospect.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

The % of his teams points was always something that stuck out to me (along with his defensive play).

I liked hearing that the Cougars traded for Gabrielle earlier this summer and not knowing the Cougars team well, I'm hoping they have some young guys ready to step up. It will be interesting to see how Harkins could perform offensively with some additional talent around him.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I might be misremembering, but while the Knights won, didn't Scheifele put up a tonne of points that series? Scheifele had 41 points in 21 games that playoffs, and I think was injured towards the end?

Sheifele missed game 7 and they lost.
The opposing coach said the reason they lost was because Scheifele didn't dress.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am hopeful that he can be an ROR (or Bergeron if I am being unrealistically optimistic). It isn't the likely Scenario, but I think he has difference maker two-way skill. I also think he has the kind of game that could stand out very early.

I don't think he will make the team right away, but I do think he has that kind of potential.

This is how I see it as well. I think ROR is the guy I would target as a comparable. In the case of Bergy and ROR they were both second round picks with mature games that made the leap right out of the draft. With all the other prospects we have knocking on the door I can't see it this season but I wouldn't be shocked if his path is expedited and he has a shot fin 2016-17.

To me he has Adam Lowry drive/professionalism but his game is much more mature at a similar age.

Look at these interesting draft year comps.

Harkins GP 70 G 20 A 59 Pts 79
O'Reilly GP 68 G 16 A 50 Pts 66
Bergeron GP 70 G 23 A 50 Pts 73

just sayin :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad