Winnipeg Jets Top 20 Prospects 2017 - #8

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Harkins and then Foley. I am not voting for a high schooler in the top ten until he at least plays against men in College.

He was going to stay away from college until 2018-19 year as he thought he was going get burried by depth. He only commited to go to college this year when some of the depth in front of him went pro.

I want Sam-berg to turn out as well but not gifting him a top 10 hf Jet prospect spot until he does something to deserve it.

So how is that different than any other 2nd round pick in their draft year? Sutter went 9th in 2012, Petan 6th in 2013, Glover 10 in 2014, Harkins 8th in 2015. Even Stanley went 10th last year and most that of him below a 1st round pick. The current years second pick always goes in the 6-10 range. No gifting just ranking where you see them fitting in.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I'm glad see have other defenseman to be hopeful for other than Stanley.

Even with the rumours, Stanley wasn't getting picked in the 1st round

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I'm surprised you're not voting for Poolman 2.0 for that reason.

Kovacevic is very similar to your boy.

Kovacevic
6'3, 215 lbs
Summer baby (July)
Put up 19 points in 36 games as a freshman @ 19yo

Poolman
6'4, 216 lbs
Summer baby (June)
Put up 18 points in 40 games as a freshman @ 20yo

Both are big bodies that like to play physical but won't chase the play for a hit, while also having solid mobility and puck sense. Two-way defenders that play the dzone well, bruise the opponent, get the puck, and move it out with a sound first pass. Will jump into play in the offensive zone when required but not much of risk takers. Both are late bloomers with late growth spurts.
From what I've seen, Poolman had a little more pop in his game at the same age. That is to say he looked more dynamic without actually accomplishing more.

Add Virtanen, please.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm glad see have other defenseman to be hopeful for other than Stanley.

Even with the rumours, Stanley wasn't getting picked in the 1st round

And how do you know this? All the teams share their draft boards with you? Just about every consensus list had him 1st round. MyNHLDraft which does a master consensus that includes Hockey Prospect, Future Considerations, Craig Button, ISS Hockey, Corey Pronman of ESPN, Damien Cox, The Hockey News, McKeen's Hockey, NA Central Scouting, Hockey Prospectus and the Draft Analyst had him ranked 24th.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
From what I've seen, Poolman had a little more pop in his game at the same age. That is to say he looked more dynamic without actually accomplishing more.

Add Virtanen, please.

I don't believe Poolman was actually playing defense in college at the same age so as a forward I'd imagine he'd have some more pop in his game :p

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I don't believe Poolman was actually playing defense in college at the same age so as a forward I'd imagine he'd have some more pop in his game :p

Poolman at the same age was actually playing defense...in the USHL. So I agree he probably showed more pop playing against kids in USHL than Kovacevic did in college.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Poolman at the same age was actually playing defense...in the USHL. So I agree he probably showed more pop playing against kids in USHL than Kovacevic did in college.

You are correct I was off by a couple of years. Poolman didn't even start college until age 21. Pretty crazy his development path.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Regardless of the age / opposition, I thought Poolman was more dynamic when he emtered college versus what I've seen from Kovacevic. Poolman had the rep of "rover" and "Byfuglien lite" due to the forward play, and while that talk drove me nuts it was visibly apparent why they'd try him at wing on the 1st line.

I've never been high on him as a prospect, but I have always liked some of the physical tools. Kovacevic doesn't flash much dynamism, he doesn't take chances, but he is smart and hella steady.

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay
Nice try team Samberg. All this talk of defensemen almost swayed my vote...almost.
Voted Harkins amidst all this posturing. ;)

Add non defenseman Santeri Virtanen pls. :D

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Samberg, then Harkins, then ABS to fill out the top 10.
It's close but Harkins projects bottom 6.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
My rankings and notes as of today, subject to change tomorrow.
1 Connor - Elite talent.
2 Roslovic - High level talent.
Significant drop-off (High upside or very close to NHL ready.)
3 Vesalainen - So much speed, size, skill. Can he put it together.
4 Niku - Likely NHLer. How high is his ceiling? Maybe a quality2nd pair guy.
5 Samberg - Loads of skill, but lots to prove.
6 Poolman - Near NHL ready, low ceiling.
7 Harkins - Near NHL ready, low ceiling.
8 Kovacevic - Strong college performance is eye catching, play lacks pop.
9 Spacek - Smaller skilled guy. Has some NHL caliber skill, but not sure he finds a role here.
10 Lemieux - 4th liner. Meh.
11 Virtanen - I am really intrigued by this kid. Does the little things well, reminds me of Copp.
12 Comrie - Still a talented goalie prospect, but I want to see him stop more pucks.
13 Gawanke - Strong numbers. Smart player. Reminds me of Morrissey in how he reads play. Can he fix his skating? He needs to.
Drop-off (Long shot upside or near ready marginal NHL talents.)
14 DeLeo - I think he can play NHL hockey, but I doubt he'll play here.
15 Foley - Real potential as a depth forward. Lots to like. Maybe too low.
16 Appleton - Doesn't move very well, but produces very well. Some real potential here.
17 Green - Flashy skating provides hope, but he is still looks like a long shot.
18 Stanley - skating. Looks like a longshot, but his shot rates make me hopeful.
19 Berdin - Stops pucks better than most. Upside! All goalies are long shots.
20 Nogier - Probable depth player, can he become more than a 7, 8, 9?
21 McKenzie - Really fun to watch, but he has a long road ahead of him.
22 Evingson - Looked good in the NAHL. Projection = ??? Ask me next year.
Drop-off (Really really long shots or near done.)
23 Lipon - I've always enjoyed Lippy, but he doesn't have an NHL role beyond 4th liner who can fight.
24 Kraskovsky - Not sure he'll ever come to NA.
25 Franklin - Poor man's Foley.
26 Cederholm - Nothing to get excited about yet.
27 Lodge - He's got some skill, but it looks like AHL skill at this point.
28 Stallard - Unlikely to be in the system much longer.
29 Glover - Unlikely to be in the system much longer.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
And how do you know this? All the teams share their draft boards with you? Just about every consensus list had him 1st round. MyNHLDraft which does a master consensus that includes Hockey Prospect, Future Considerations, Craig Button, ISS Hockey, Corey Pronman of ESPN, Damien Cox, The Hockey News, McKeen's Hockey, NA Central Scouting, Hockey Prospectus and the Draft Analyst had him ranked 24th.

I don't
I'm just saying hindsight is 20/20 And this guy is nowhere near 1st round calibre
How did anyone have them in their 1st round?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Harkins - ranked in the 1st round on everyone's draft list except McKeens in 2015 - scored 1.125 points/game in the WHL and had 2g, 2a, 4p in 4 AHL games this year and looked pretty decent. Samberg was playing high school hockey...he's a nice swing for the fences with his toolbox, but to ranking him ahead of Harkins at this point is overly optimistic.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Harkins - ranked in the 1st round on everyone's draft list except McKeens in 2015 - scored 1.125 points/game in the WHL and had 2g, 2a, 4p in 4 AHL games this year and looked pretty decent. Samberg was playing high school hockey...he's a nice swing for the fences with his toolbox, but to ranking him ahead of Harkins at this point is overly optimistic.

Well said.

Also 2015 draft (Harkins) was a much deeper/ quality draft than 2017 Sam-berg s draft.
Example..... 4 th rounder Spacek (108th pick in 2015) was just rated at 7th in our ranking. (Should have been Harkins @ #6).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't
I'm just saying hindsight is 20/20 And this guy is nowhere near 1st round calibre
How did anyone have them in their 1st round?

There are plenty of prospect analysis out there all you need to do is a quick search. Just because you have an opinion (which is shared by many others) doesn't mean Stanley wasn't on just about on every scouting consensus lists as a late 1st round pick. Many sources taking the time to document why they believed so if you care to read up on it.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Scoring 1.125 points per game isn't notable. That is exactly why he's not high on everyone's list.

Kosmachuk 1.49 ppg
Lipon 1.46 ppg
Spacek 1.44 ppg
Lemieux 1.38 ppg
De Leo 1.25 ppg
Lowry 1.22 ppg
Genarro 1.16 ppg
Harkins 1.13 ppg

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
There are plenty of prospect analysis out there all you need to do is a quick search. Just because you have an opinion (which is shared by many others) doesn't mean Stanley wasn't on just about on every scouting consensus lists as a late 1st round pick. Many sources taking the time to document why they believed so if you care to read up on it.

? I understand there's scouting
But look at how this project doesn't look so good so far
Hindsight is 20/20
What scouts had to say doesn't change the now
Bad scouts i guess

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
? I understand there's scouting
But look at how this project doesn't look so good so far
Hindsight is 20/20
What scouts had to say doesn't change the now
Bad scouts i guess

It's one year into this "project". I didn't particularly like the pick at the time, but no matter what you think of the prospect, it does take time for them to develop. Sorry - just the way it is with most non-lottery picks.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It's one year into this "project". I didn't particularly like the pick at the time, but no matter what you think of the prospect, it does take time for them to develop. Sorry - just the way it is with most non-lottery picks.

Even though I was the biggest critic of the Logan Stanley pick this was always going to be a 3-5 year project.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad