Winnipeg Jets the Last Canadian Team in the Playoffs

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Nah, they will bring the Cup to...Winnipeg for the first time. I get bupkis out of the Jets winning a Cup. Dorion and Melnyk and then get bupkis. It's not a "Cup fo Canada" unless it's the Canada Cup or the Gold Medal at the Olympics or something.
In bringing the Cup to Winnipeg ( big if of course! ) they will be bringing the Cup to Canada regardless of how anyone wants to frame it.
It means something to a lot of Canadians ... not all for sure but a good many. First things first though ... one more W against the Preds is all that matters now.

Reactions: 10Ducky10 and bert

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
BTW, i think the Pens are still a bigger draw in Canada. I need to see the ratings.

Before you saw the ratings from Round 1, you were chastising everyone about Winnipeg's tiny market and how the Pens were a bigger draw in Canada. Then we posted the ratings where the Jets got double the viewers in Canada (1.2M for Jets/Wild on premium cable vs 580k for Pens/Flyers on CBC) and rather than saying "gee, I guess I was wrong", you proclaimed that it was proof that CBC made the right call by showcasing the Leafs - which nobody ever debated.

Its actually quite easy to admit when you're wrong. You should try it sometime.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
BTW, i think the Pens are still a bigger draw in Canada. I need to see the ratings.
Winnipeg-Minnesota had higher ratings in Canada than Pittsburgh-Philly (despite being on a channel that not everyone has) for the one game I saw ratings for.

Reactions: bert

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Winnipeg-Minnesota had higher ratings in Canada than Pittsburgh-Philly (despite being on a channel that not everyone has) for the one game I saw ratings for.
It's too bad that wasn't a closer series. Would have loved for it to turn into a grudge-match between neighbors. Plus, there was some really beautiful and physically brutal hockey being played in that series.

Reactions: Aggie204

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Before you saw the ratings from Round 1, you were chastising everyone about Winnipeg's tiny market and how the Pens were a bigger draw in Canada. Then we posted the ratings where the Jets got double the viewers in Canada (1.2M for Jets/Wild on premium cable vs 580k for Pens/Flyers on CBC) and rather than saying "gee, I guess I was wrong", you proclaimed that it was proof that CBC made the right call by showcasing the Leafs - which nobody ever debated.

Got em lol

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

I honestly don't recall them ever posted. We do know the Leafs are the biggest draw. My issue was some fans saying Leafs shouldn't be shown and give other teams a chance. Winnipeg is a tiny market. people hate me saying that, but am I wrong?

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
My two cents in the discussion where or not there are more Pens fans than Jets fans in Canada..Without a doubt there are more Pens fans. By that I mean there are more people in Canada outside of Manitoba who consider The Penguins as their team than The Jets..heck there are alot of Penguin fans in MB...but I would argue there are more Canadians cheering for the Jets than the Penguins...There is a big difference between cheering for a team and having that Team “Your” Team... not sure how many people in Halifax, Regina, St.Johns, or Whitehorse consider The Winnipeg Jets as “Their” team... but in time....

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I say this...if you cheer for multiple teams, if you cheer for a team that isn't your "fave" during the regular season or what have you.....then you're a bandwagoner.

I'm a Habs fan. Greatest franchise of all the timez. Wouldn't dream of cheering for another team. I just enjoy the Hockey.

There ain't no Canada team right now. They're off playing at the worlds atm.
Winnipeg is Canada's Team as long as they remain in the hunt. The title doesn't come with a lifetime appointment, naturally. Three years ago Montreal was Canada's Team because they were the only Canadian team to make the playoff. Right now, Winnipeg holds that distinction. I'm pulling for Washington, but I'd be happy with a Jets Cup win.

As for the bandwagon thing -- sure, it's not as intense as watching your own team. But it's still enjoyable, and a much better alternative than not watching at all.

Reactions: libertarian

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
My two cents in the discussion where or not there are more Pens fans than Jets fans in Canada..Without a doubt there are more Pens fans. By that I mean there are more people in Canada outside of Manitoba who consider The Penguins as their team than The Jets..heck there are alot of Penguin fans in MB...but I would argue there are more Canadians cheering for the Jets than the Penguins...There is a big difference between cheering for a team and having that Team “Your” Team... not sure how many people in Halifax, Regina, St.Johns, or Whitehorse consider The Winnipeg Jets as “Their” team... but in time....

I strongly disagree.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
In bringing the Cup to Winnipeg ( big if of course! ) they will be bringing the Cup to Canada regardless of how anyone wants to frame it.
It means something to a lot of Canadians ... not all for sure but a good many. First things first though ... one more W against the Preds is all that matters now.

Nationalism is lame, no matter how many scotiabank and tim hortons commercials that they throw at us.

Good for Winnipeg if they win, they're a fun team to watch! I just want a Winnipeg Washington final, exciting offensive minded teams going head to head and a cup going somewhere it has never been before.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
giphy.gif

You were saying?

Ofuzz

Jul 11, 2006
So I was in Las Vegas with a group of friends the week of the shootings in October. The Sunday was crazy, the Monday was quiet. On the Tuesday the Mandalay Bay pool opened up again. It was pretty deserted of course, just a handful of us. Wednesday was the start of the hockey season. Left the pool that afternoon and ventured over to the Luxor. About an hour before the puck was to drop on the season I took a look at the futures board and saw that the Jets were listed at 30-1 to come out of the west. Wasn't too sure if they'd win the west of course but I thought they rated shorter odds than that. Anyways, laid $50 to win $1500 on Winnipeg to do it. This Canuck fan has latched onto the Jets in a big way these playoffs. 5 more wins guys.............

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
I'm a Leafs fan first, but in general a hockey fan, and I sincerely enjoy watching this Jets team perform. Admire the way the team has been built. They have everything required, and I'm not surprised they're in a long run and could possibly win it all (I hope they go all the way).

They have speed, skill, size, grit and decent goaltending. What's not to like? I admire their composition and hope Leafs management can make the correct acquisitions and moves to be as successful in post-season hockey. Enjoy the show....

Reactions: libertarian

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I'm in Halifax, originally from Winnipeg. Lots of people here are on the Jets bandwagon. GO JETS GO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad