Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Belleville Bulls 5 - Sudbury Wolves 0
Round 2 Game 4 - Bulls win series 4-0
Last Updated: Final

Player|Goals|Assists|Points|+/-|PIM
Austen Brassard |1|0|1|+1|0

1. BELV A. Brassard, (3) (B. Gaunce, J. Subban), 15:21

Quinnipiac 4 - St. Cloud State 1
NCAA Frozen Four Semifinals
Last Updated: Final

Player|Goals|Assists|Points|+/-|PIM
Jordan Samuels-Thomas |1|1|2|+2|0

1st 01:49 PP J. SAMUELS-THOMAS (RUSSELL GOODMAN)
1st 05:07 EV BEN ARNT (J. SAMUELS-THOMAS)

UMass Lowell 2 - Yale 3
NCAA Frozen Four Semifinals
Last Updated: Final OT

Player|MIN|S|SV|GA|SV%|GAA
Connor Hellebuyck |66:59|47|44|3|.936|2.69

Upcoming Games

April 13

32K2aNk.png

April 19

wgS8FBW.png

Blainville-Boisbriand Armada vs. Baie-Comeau Drakkar
Round 3 Game 1
6:30 CST

Last edited:

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I had kind of written JST off as a prospect.

It's good to see he's making a difference for Quinnipiac. Hopefully they win the title.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
He was a hard guy to get a read on as a Jets fan since he had to sit out last season and most of us wouldn't have been paying attention to him prior to that, didn't really know what we were gonna get.

Definitely has exceeded my expectations this season, looking forward to seeing him in training camp next year.

--

Also see that U-ML had no shots in the overtime period last night, seems like Yale really had them outmatched.

It's too bad that we couldn't have seen 2 Jets prospects head to head in the final, regardless though it would be hard to imagine a better freshman season for Hellebuyck.

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
So did I. Just like I did on Saponari to be honest.

Somethings you like to be wrong.

I wasn't sure what to expect from big Saps, but I have always had my eye on JST.

He is a big man with a really nice release on his wrister. Haven't seen him play a ton, but you gotta think he could do some damage in and around the net at any level, even if it is a depth role.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Keith McCambridge was just interview on TSN 1290 by Rick Ralph and was pretty much raving about my boy Adam Lowry. Says he eased him in to start but is now already using him on face-offs, on the pp, and on pk as well, based upon the trust he has gained due his physicality and the quality of his play. Very encouraging to hear the AHL coach pumping Lowry's tires to that extent given that Lowry has only been there for such a short period of time.

:handclap:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Keith McCambridge was just interview on TSN 1290 by Rick Ralph and was pretty much raving about my boy Adam Lowry. Says he eased him in to start but is now already using him on face-offs, on the pp, and on pk as well, based upon the trust he has gained due his physicality and the quality of his play. Very encouraging to hear the AHL coach pumping Lowry's tires to that extent given that Lowry has only been there for such a short period of time.

I found it interesting that McCambridge said Lowry needs to fill out his form (was during last St.J game).
I thought Lowry looks pretty strong and pretty physically developed already.

EDIT:
It was in a positive way, as in along the lines of: once he fills out he'll be a real positive player in the pro-level

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I found it interesting that McCambridge said Lowry needs to fill out his form (was during last St.J game).
I thought Lowry looks pretty strong and pretty physically developed already.

EDIT:
It was in a positive way, as in along the lines of: once he fills out he'll be a real positive player in the pro-level

The one thing that doesn't suprise me at all is that Adam would be a coach friendly prospect. he has many strengths but the one thing that seems obvious when you listen to him is that he really understands the game at a level beyond his years.

when Lowry has the weight on his frame to impose himself in a similar fashion on pros like he did in the WHL this past season we will see something special. I think its easy for a coach to visualize Adam's power game being effective with another 15 to 20 pounds of muscle. Adam would be the exact type of player you would love to coach.

I'll be honest.....I am pleasantly suprised, I thought it would take Adam a little longer to adapt to the speed and strength of the AHL (not the mental side but the physical side)

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

Fantastic to hear, thanks for passing that along Gump!

Last edited:

jetkarma*

OUR boy ;)

but seriously this kid has hockey knowledge like crazy plus is academically smart , he GETS it. Coaches will always love him.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
They are replaying the McCambridge interview coming up next....
http://www.tsn.ca/Winnipeg/listen/

I caught it on the rebound right when jumped into my vehicle after reading your post Gump.

hard to not love that 3rd round pick...that is why it is exciting to have 6 picks in the first three rounds this year. Knowing we pulled Lowry from the 3rd round makes me realize how valuable those picks can be when you get it right. Adam has a ways to go but listening to How coach already trusts him lets me know he should have a solid year in the AHL next season at a minimum. Would love to see him report to camp at north of 210 Next fall.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

No one should have doubted you Gump. He's no sure thing but if he is earning the coach's trust that quickly that's a super good thing. Do you think there's a chance he gets a sniff of the big club next year?

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
He's no sure thing but if he is earning the coach's trust that quickly that's a super good thing. Do you think there's a chance he gets a sniff of the big club next year?

Not sure what you mean by the "he's no sure thing" comment? No one is guaranteed to be a star but it is fairly safe to project that he will be an NHL player within a few years. No one claimed he'd be a star.

He is a super cerebral player - the result of being mentored from day one by his father who was a very smart NHL player in his own right. He is a kid that (since he was drafted) has grown physically by an incredible amount into a 6'5", 205 lb beast already. One of the reasons he was drafted where he was in the third round is because at that time he'd yet to grow into his body, he was gangly, awkward looking, and was probably not strong enough in testing as a result. People in the past also knocked his skating because he looked like a spider on the ice when he was younger, was all arms and legs. This past season he became the only consensus WHL All-Star selection due that he is a responsible player that plays a 200 ft game; you have to be able to skate to accomplish that. You have to be able to skate to become so quickly acclimatized to AHL pro as well. He isn't Bure but his skating isn't really much of an issue, either.

I still think there is a chance we could see him on the Jets at some point next season, in a limited role if he gains 10 or 15 pounds over the summer. There are a ton of expiring contracts at the end of this season and that could present an opportunity for him at camp. There will also be injury call-ups. I suspect what will probably happen though is he'll eventually earn his NHL spot on merit based upon AHL play after some time spent there. I've watched all of his AHL games and he appears a bit tentative right now, but that is also natural when learning a new system on the fly.

This is a kid that plays a very physical game, hits with regularity, forechecks religiously and hard and heavy whenever possible, he also goes to the net and battles for garbage where others won't. Imagine an Andrew Ladd on steroids, but one that battles in the paint much harder. What I see when I watch him play is the sort of player that the current Jets roster is missing in their forward mix, a pure power forward. I hope he does play for the club at some point in the next year and wouldn't bet against him succeeding.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
IMO Its looking more and more likely that Lowry will a regular member of the Jets sooner rather than later.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Not sure what you mean by the "he's no sure thing" comment? No one is guaranteed to be a star but it is fairly safe to project that he will be an NHL player within a few years. No one claimed he'd be a star.

He is a super cerebral player - the result of being mentored from day one by his father who was a very smart NHL player in his own right. He is a kid that (since he was drafted) has grown physically by an incredible amount into a 6'5", 205 lb beast already. One of the reasons he was drafted where he was in the third round is because at that time he'd yet to grow into his body, he was gangly, awkward looking, and was probably not strong enough in testing as a result. People in the past also knocked his skating because he looked like a spider on the ice when he was younger, was all arms and legs. This past season he became the only consensus WHL All-Star selection due that he is a responsible player that plays a 200 ft game; you have to be able to skate to accomplish that. You have to be able to skate to become so quickly acclimatized to AHL pro as well. He isn't Bure but his skating isn't really much of an issue, either.

I still think there is a chance we could see him on the Jets at some point next season, in a limited role if he gains 10 or 15 pounds over the summer. There are a ton of expiring contracts at the end of this season and that could present an opportunity for him at camp. There will also be injury call-ups. I suspect what will probably happen though is he'll eventually earn his NHL spot on merit based upon AHL play after some time spent there. I've watched all of his AHL games and he appears a bit tentative right now, but that is also natural when learning a new system on the fly.

This is a kid that plays a very physical game, hits with regularity, forechecks religiously and hard and heavy whenever possible, he also goes to the net and battles for garbage where others won't. Imagine an Andrew Ladd on steroids, but one that battles in the paint much harder. What I see when I watch him play is the sort of player that the current Jets roster is missing in their forward mix, a pure power forward. I hope he does play for the club at some point in the next year and wouldn't bet against him succeeding.

No sure thing to make the big club next fall is what I meant, sorry. Sounds like a great fit here one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad