Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Barring a miracle, looks like that'll be it for Ryan Olsen and the Rockets season. EDIT: Heh, guess I spoke to soon, Rockets seem to have found new life and have tied it at 3!

Major props to him, looks like he's really blossoming. Showed a similar jump in PPG as Adam Lowry did from his 17 to 18 year old year, hopefully his 19 year old year goes as swimmingly as Lowry's did.

For those who have followed him more closely, do you see him translating as a C in the pros? From what little I've seen, seems like he would be more suited as a chippy, dump-and-chase type of winger on a checking line.

Last edited:

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Barring a miracle, looks like that'll be it for Ryan Olsen and the Rockets season.

Major props to him, looks like he's really blossoming. Showed a similar jump in PPG as Adam Lowry did from his 17 to 18 year old year, hopefully his 19 year old year goes as swimmingly as Lowry's did.

For those who have followed him more closely, do you see him translating as a C in the pros? From what little I've seen, seems like he would be more suited as a chippy, dump-and-chase type of winger on a checking line.

Kelowna just came back from a two goal deficit to tie it up 3-3 with 10 left to go in the third!

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Well, good job this year Rockets. Olsen's progress has been really great.

But can't go down 3-0 in back-to-back series and expect to go far. :(

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

Am unsure of that.

I was a bit disappointed in his overall play over the end of the regular season and carrying over into the playoffs. Through the first half of the season he was making plays at high speed and potting some beauties. Later in the year he seemed to lose a step to his speed almost; perhaps he is injured though. His scoring rate appeared to slow as well as the year wore on. Most of the playoffs it appeared he couldn't buy a goal in fact; he could have scored 20 given his numerous chances, and even the game commentators regularly referenced it. That said, one thing that seems to often get missed on our board is that a guy is actually playing very well even if he misses several seemingly glorious scoring opportunities - because you regularly have to put yourself into proper position in order to regularly garner those opportunities.

Based upon his play early in the year, and that he is very efficient on the draw, and can also distribute the puck fairly well, that he can skate, and projects out to a good size when he gains some weight, I think he can play center as a pro.... but next season he will need to bring some much needed consistency to his game. I don't think he was at the Jets prospect camp last summer for some reason; am guessing a visit to the camp this coming summer will impress upon him that he needs to step it up a notch going forward.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Am unsure of that.

I was a bit disappointed in his overall play over the end of the regular season and carrying over into the playoffs. Through the first half of the season he was making plays at high speed and potting some beauties. Later in the year he seemed to lose a step to his speed almost; perhaps he is injured though. His scoring rate appeared to slow as well as the year wore on. Most of the playoffs it appeared he couldn't buy a goal in fact; he could have scored 20 given his numerous chances, and even the game commentators regularly referenced it. That said, one thing that seems to often get missed on our board is that a guy is actually playing very well even if he misses several seemingly glorious scoring opportunities - because you regularly have to put yourself into proper position in order to regularly garner those opportunities.

Based upon his play early in the year, and that he is very efficient on the draw, and can also distribute the puck fairly well, that he can skate, and projects out to a good size when he gains some weight, I think he can play center as a pro.... but next season he will need to bring some much needed consistency to his game. I don't think he was at the Jets prospect camp last summer for some reason; am guessing a visit to the camp this coming summer will impress upon him that he needs to step it up a notch going forward.
I am really curious to see where he slots into the lineup next year.

He has made a nice jump offensively, but at some point that will max out unless he gets put on the 1st line in more of a scoring role.

Will he land that role next year or will he remain in a 2nd line shut down gig?

Tyson Baillie will be fighting for minutes.

His production has been really solid considering the defensive load he's hauled.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I am really curious to see where he slots into the lineup next year.

He has made a nice jump offensively, but at some point that will max out unless he gets put on the 1st line in more of a scoring role.

Will he land that role next year or will he remain in a 2nd line shut down gig?

If Scissons is back next season then Olsen slots back in at #2; if Scissons leaves then Olsen would probably move into #1 and Baillie at #2. Am unsure about Scissons' future status though.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Am unsure of that.

Thanks for the insight.

Apparently he really struggled in the first half of last season with Saskatoon, so like you said, establishing some consistency will be paramount.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Am unsure of that.

You're really becoming one of our junior player go to guys Gump. Always nice to read your analysis.

Question: Would you project Olsen to develop in a path similar to Cormier? Obviously we hope better, but somewhat similar? Cormier put up more points in his draft year, but in their next seasons Cormier was .94 ppg and Olsen was .81 ppg. Would it be fair to say that maybe the hope is that a guy like Olsen could develop into the player that it was hoped Cormier would be? I.E. Tough 3rd or 4th (more likely) line player who can also chip in a bit?

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
You're really becoming one of our junior player go to guys Gump. Always nice to read your analysis.

Question: Would you project Olsen to develop in a path similar to Cormier? Obviously we hope better, but somewhat similar? Cormier put up more points in his draft year, but in their next seasons Cormier was .94 ppg and Olsen was .81 ppg. Would it be fair to say that maybe the hope is that a guy like Olsen could develop into the player that it was hoped Cormier would be? I.E. Tough 3rd or 4th (more likely) line player who can also chip in a bit?
Thanks.

Cormier was always a guy on the national team radar though; he would have played U18 but was injured IIRC, and played U20. I guess that Olsen conversely might possibly garner some U20 interest, but only if he steps it up early next season. I think the difference between Olsen and Cormier as junior-aged players is that Cormier was a much nastier player with an edge (one that could go over the line at times), while Olsen is a guy that can play tough when motivated. I value that nasty unpredictability that Cormier once had though in fact, highly, Cormier's much publicized hit aside. People forget that when a guy like Messier for example was a junior and just coming into the NHL.... he was a scary nasty dude, the kind that would intentionally stick you in the face without a second thought. That rep bought him a lot of room on the ice over the years.

If anything, Cormier has toned his game down as a pro since he received that long suspension and I think his lack of an extreme edge has caught up with him of late.
Cormier has sort of regressed toward the sort of game that Olsen currently plays... if that makes any sense at all.

So, on balance, yes, I do believe that Olsen has the skills to become the sort of a 3rd/4th line player you suggest, but would like him to become a bit meaner in order to differentiate his game from others, I think he needs to step up his "compete" level, bring more battle. The fundamental skills are already there in place.

Last edited:

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Thanks.

Cormier was always a guy on the national team radar though; he would have played U18 but was injured IIRC, and played U20. I guess that Olsen conversely might possibly garner some U20 interest, but only if he steps it up early next season. I think the difference between Olsen and Cormier as junior-aged players is that Cormier was a much nastier player with an edge (one that could go over the line at times), while Olsen is a guy that can play tough when motivated. I value that nasty unpredictability that Cormier once had though in fact, highly, Cormier's much publicized hit aside. People forget that when a guy like Messier for example was a junior and just coming into the NHL.... he was a scary nasty dude, the kind that would intentionally stick you in the face without a second thought. That rep bought him a lot of room on the ice over the years.

If anything, Cormier has toned his game down as a pro since he received that long suspension and I think his lack of an extreme edge has caught up with him of late.
Cormier has sort of regressed toward the sort of game that Olsen currently plays... if that makes any sense at all.

So, on balance, yes, I do believe that Olsen has the skills to become the sort of a 3rd/4th line player you suggest, but would like him to become a bit meaner in order to differentiate his game from others, I think he needs to step up his "compete" level, bring more battle. The fundamental skills are already there in place.

I think your post leads me to an interesting thought, that it's perhaps the case with a mean streak, just as it is with goal scoring, that you've gotta be SUPER rough in Junior to have a mean streak at the NHL level at all. It's one thing to truck Juniors through the end boards, it's another thing to truck Chara. And I don't just mean in terms of strength. Guys who play with a lot of fire in Juniors look REALLY tough there, but in the NHL where you have the collective of ALL of the players who played that hard in junior, that fire doesn't translate into a mean streak anymore. Even though you're just as edgy as before.

I generally don't value a "mean streak" TOO much, (though I do love a good hipcheck front flip...) but you can see why a guy hoping to be a physical threat in the NHL has to be borderline TOO physical in Junior because EVERYONE'S physical threat level just appears to regress so much when you make the change from playing boys to playing men.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Makes perfect sense Gump, that's sort of what I was wondering.

Cormier was very highly thought of as a junior. He was Team Captain at the U20's for team Canada once upon a time. I am wondering if the thought (or hope) at the time with Cormier was that his offense would at some point catch up with his toughness? But even 2 years after being drafted, Cormier was still under a ppg.

Just sort of wondering that IF Olsen can improve his offense next year to close to, or over a ppg, AND keep bringing the physicality and toughness, that that would put Olsen's second season after being drafted a little ahead of Cormier's.

Sort of a case of one guy being better before the draft and then leveling off, and the other guy maybe not being as good pre-draft, but improving at hopefully a better rate?

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Makes perfect sense Gump, that's sort of what I was wondering.

Cormier was very highly thought of as a junior. He was Team Captain at the U20's for team Canada once upon a time. I am wondering if the thought (or hope) at the time with Cormier was that his offense would at some point catch up with his toughness? But even 2 years after being drafted, Cormier was still under a ppg.

Just sort of wondering that IF Olsen can improve his offense next year to close to, or over a ppg, AND keep bringing the physicality and toughness, that that would put Olsen's second season after being drafted a little ahead of Cormier's.

Sort of a case of one guy being better before the draft and then leveling off, and the other guy maybe not being as good pre-draft, but improving at hopefully a better rate?

Your post also makes a great deal of sense. I think Olsen can pot more points in a number one role (if he earns it that is and if Scissons moves on) given the benefit of another year of physical maturity and the additional icetime that a full year of #1 line a #1pp role would bring. As mentioned, I think he will also benefit from the Jets prospects camp this time - given that I'm pretty sure he missed the last one for some reason.

http://jets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=81262

Guess he either had some sort of a prior commitment or was rehabbing an injury?

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Sorry guys, I'm at the Jets game so can't really update today until later on. UMass and Yale tied at 2 heading into the 3rd I believe.

Dave512

Apr 10, 2012
Albany NY
UMass loses it in OT 3-2, Hellebuck stopped 44 of 47 shots though :handclap:

I couldn't watch OT, but from what I saw in regulation, Lowell couldn't get anything going all game, except for one 17 second span when they potted both their goals. I think the final shot total was like 47-18. Can't blame Hellebuyck for the loss - he still put up a .936 save percentage, and looked solid. Hope he can keep that up throughout his college years!

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
JST scores the 1-0 goal for Quinnipiac.

Sounds like he had an assist on the 2-0 goal as well.

Last edited:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Belleville looks like the lock to take on Barrie.

Going to be a very tough matchup. The bulls play a really strong defensive game infront of Malcolm Subban.

They went 1-1 against them during the season. First game was a 3-0 shutout for Belleville and the second was a 3-2 win for Barrie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad