Player Discussion: Winnipeg Jets Defense

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Forbort another one... Over rated

Seems like he's on ice for every goal against.. think he's seriously overrated and def not a top 4 D. Honestly not sure why he was gifted a spot.

Reactions: Huffer

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Playing defense would be a good start.
Did just fine in Liiga and AHL, never even got a chance in the Jets.
He has never translated any of that into measurable, sustained success in the NHL. You know what you wrote about Niku above (in broad terms) could be said about thousands of AHL players over the years who never ended up doing anything in the NHL.

It's almost like theres a huge talent gap between the AHL and NHL, not to mention the mental aspect of it.
Yeah, he has played 37 minutes combined in the last year, why give him a one way contract if you’re not gonna play him at all? And just like you said, Jets have horrible record at developing players, watch Niku become good dman in other team once actually given the chance, it’s just hilarious to say he has not translated it to NHL level when he barely has got a chance.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Yeah, he has played 37 minutes combined in the last year, why give him a one way contract if you’re not gonna play him at all? And just like you said, Jets have horrible record at developing players, watch Niku become good dman in other team once actually given the chance, it’s just hilarious to say he has not translated it to NHL level when he barely has got a chance.
Aavgaard is that you?

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I was watching the Vegas game last night, man am I jealous of that defense. Big, fast and physical.

I do believe our defense could be built better, but I'm afraid we are going to have a hard time maximizing our performance as long as we are tied to that Morrissey contract. I could see what Chevy was going for, but I have zero confidence that Josh is going to be worth that money and time. 7 more years

Chevy has a tough call to make!

His cap hit is 6.25 mil. Chill that's so easy to move for a top 4 defenseman these days

Myers just signed a 6 million contract who's older and coughs up more penalties

Wheeler's contract is probably the worst on the Jets
Trade him now before it's too late

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I was watching the Vegas game last night, man am I jealous of that defense. Big, fast and physical.

I do believe our defense could be built better, but I'm afraid we are going to have a hard time maximizing our performance as long as we are tied to that Morrissey contract. I could see what Chevy was going for, but I have zero confidence that Josh is going to be worth that money and time. 7 more years

Chevy has a tough call to make!

Vegas is better than the Jets at making moves pretty easily. They trying to win every year. Not sit on their hands, then eventually give up more than grt back because say around waiting for something that wasn't going to happen

Reactions: hn777

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Did you miss the first three games this season? The guy was horrible.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Vegas is better than the Jets at making moves pretty easily. They trying to win every year. Not sit on their hands, then eventually give up more than grt back because say around waiting for something that wasn't going to happen
Vegas is more aggressive but I wouldn’t really say it’s worked out for them yet. They also have an easier time attracting free agents.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

There are so many things wrong with this post.

Niku has played plenty as a Jet and had never put together an nhl level defensive game.

All of those players I listed did sweet f*** all with other teams in the nhl, so saying it has something to do with the Jets is ridiculous.

The Jets have developed countless players, including several low draft pics. Just because a fan thinks a particular prospect is more than he ends up being is not somehow the teams fault.

Finally, he got a one way deal because I'm sure that was a condition of him re-signing - pretty standard for a player in the system for that long. Are you suggesting the Jets let a prospect walk for nothing?

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and sipowicz

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
That chart that shows the Jets are the 2nd worst team in the league is all we need to know. We have vastly over rated our D talent level, possibly under rated how poor the team D is and how poor the coaching/system is.

If I am rating the D now:
Morrissey is a #3 with chance to be a #2 but he is trending the wrong way
Pionk is a good #3
DeMelo is a 4/5
Poolman is a 5/6
Forbort is a 5/6
Beaulieu is a 6/7
Stanley is a 6/7 with a chance to be a 4/5

Niku is a fringe NHLer.
Neither Heinola nor Samberg have enough experience to accurately rank them. Hoping/dreaming either (or both) are top 4 is just that. Hoping. In a short season that neither has played a minute yet this season is telling (at least to me). A team trying to win / thinking it has a chance to win does not sit better players just to extend their ELC. If they can improve the team's chance to win I think they would play. Of course, we have the coaching group we have, so there is that.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Vegas is more aggressive but I wouldn’t really say it’s worked out for them yet. They also have an easier time attracting free agents.

They've done been than the Jets since they got here so I would say so

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
They've done been than the Jets since they got here so I would say so
Well, they’ve murdered their once deep prospect pool and are constantly in cap trouble. They have a very easy time attracting free agents. They’re in their window right now, we’ll see if they do anything with it.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Poolman is massively underrated. Ppl don't like him cuz he's 26 but what I see Is a guy who can move the puck and actually make a pass and 95 percent of the team can actually clear the D zone.. dude really did step up vs Calgary last play Ins and is actually a solid NHL d man.

Stanley been hella sheltered. Beaulieu sucks. Poolman is great value and a solid top 3 RHD.

27 and will be 28 in June! Just to be correct!:D

Reactions: snowkiddin

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
So if I am reading this right...we have the second worst defence in the league.
Overall team defensive structure and buy-in off a little. To me, overall coaching structure is missing the boat with overall potential of this roster. Our so-called make-shift D are staying afloat 2 outbof 3 periods, or better each game. They are not flashy but, getting the job done more than not. Tesm defensive play is more suspect than the effort and ability of our defenders specifically. IMO, eye-test perception, that is.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
And it would not have anything to do with the 0% state tax, warmer climate, ideal city for sports athletes, one of the top destinations for UFA's. Everything about Vegas is the exact opposite of Winnipeg.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Niku is not NHL caliber. I don't know why Seattle would want him in the expansion draft.

Winnipeg needs to stop drafting Finns , never seems to work that well.

Niku- 7th round picks rarely make it to the NHL level.
Laine- one of the top snipers in the NHL
Heinola- potential to be a top pairing Defenseman.

This is saying nothing of the Jets 1.0 drafting of Selanne and Numminen,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad