Player Discussion: Winnipeg Jets Defense

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I think they definitely provide the tool sets that the Jets need.

Issue may be timeline though. Are they thrust in a major role in time?
I think Maurice currently sees them as #8 and #9 in his depth chart at best. I think we'd be looking at at least 3 injuries on D-men at the same time for that to happen. I don't think there is any way they'll see enough ice time without injuries, so the only other way that'd happen would be if we start losing. A lot.

So no, I doubt we'll see it in time.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Again playing very limited minutes and low level competition will do that. Give Morrissey those minutes and watch him look great too.
I agree Morrissey is the better defenseman. Pionk too. Not sure I would put anyone else above Stanley though (save for Heinola/Samberg). Limited minutes or not.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I think Maurice currently sees them as #8 and #9 in his depth chart at best. I think we'd be looking at at least 3 injuries on D-men at the same time for that to happen. I don't think there is any way they'll see enough ice time without injuries, so the only other way that'd happen would be if we start losing. A lot.

I just mean so that their addition isn't countered by other player's falling but ya that too haha.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Everyone is saying Maurice, but that's Cheveldayoff who constructed the roster allowing for only one young player to potentially make the team, and that young player's spot was filled when he acquired Forsberg off waivers. That's not a coaching issue, and we're not going to create any depth by waiving all the vets ahead of the young players. Though I think Niku may get squeezed. Injury replacement is how you make your mark, it's how Stanley made his mark. There's also a complete disregard for special teams roles, where a lot of the potential players haven't yet had any impact. And it's fundamental to winning. What we should be looking at is the potential we could have with an unlimited playoff roster. Steady growth, which is what the AHL allows for. It's not as big of a deal as it's made out to be, especially if the team is winning, more than losing. Considering we've lost 3 late games, this team could have more points on the table already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teemusalami204

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I agree Morrissey is the better defenseman. Pionk too. Not sure I would put anyone else above Stanley though (save for Heinola/Samberg). Limited minutes or not.

I think Stanley has more potential by virtue of being younger than Poolman, Beaulieu, Forbort and DeMelo. But I think his upside is still limited to being not much better than Forbort currently is if used in the same manner.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think they definitely provide the tool sets that the Jets need.

Issue may be timeline though. Are they thrust in a major role in time?
I might be a bit overly optimistic, but I think both Samberg and Heinola could improve the Jets' D right now. Heinola is such a good puck mover and Samberg is a big, mobile, shutdown D who can move the puck. Moose are playing Samberg on RD. It would be a game-changer if he would be a strong top-4 RD.

By the way, the Moose are developing Perfetti at C, according to Pascal Vincent.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I might be a bit overly optimistic, but I think both Samberg and Heinola could improve the Jets' D right now. Heinola is such a good puck mover and Samberg is a big, mobile, shutdown D who can move the puck. Moose are playing Samberg on RD. It would be a game-changer if he would be a strong top-4 RD.

By the way, the Moose are developing Perfetti at C, according to Pascal Vincent.

I think if Dubois and Schief stick at C for us in the long term then Perfetti is almost certainly going to be a top 6 winger.

Reactions: GNP

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

You might be overly optimistic, but it would be close.
The question for me is not whether they could improve our D now, but whether top minutes on the Moose is the finishing school that will make them even better in the future. The AHL builds competence but also NHL confidence, which is easily lost by good young defensemen.
There is no question that Samberg and Heinola are front and centre in the Jets development plans, but since they are solidly in a playoff position, they have the luxury of waiting until their finishing school term is complete. Won't be long now.

Reactions: Dano64 and GNP

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Heinola with the Moose makes sense to slide the ELC.

If Samberg plays 5-6 games and doesn’t find his way up I’ll be quite disappointed. The window really opens next year and there’s no advantage to playing Beaulieu over Samberg right now...even Stanley over Samberg. You get a look at Samberg and get an idea of what we have and where he might slot in next season.

ghyrti

Oct 21, 2014
Again playing very limited minutes and low level competition will do that. Give Morrissey those minutes and watch him look great too.
I'd say that he started with limited minutes against soft competition (with arguably the worst partner) and the pairing was 5GF-2GA 5-on-5 for his first 6 games. Got an upgrade in partner, some better minutes and in the next 5 games that pairing was 4GF-0GA 5-on-5. So you've got a young player who's building confidence and game is trending upward that gets rewarded with a trip to the taxi squad. Here's all the pairings that are above 0 5-on-5.

GFGA+/-
64/2404
64/88523
44/14202
44/24101
44/4101
64/24101
44/3321
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: hn777

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'd say that he started with limited minutes against soft competition (with arguably the worst partner) and the pairing was 5GF-2GA 5-on-5 for his first 6 games. Got an upgrade in partner, some better minutes and in the next 5 games that pairing was 4GF-0GA 5-on-5. So you've got a young player who's building confidence and game is trending upward that gets rewarded with a trip to the taxi squad. Here's all the pairings that are above 0 5-on-5.

GFGA+/-
64/2404
64/88523
44/14202
44/24101
44/4101
64/24101
44/3321
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Where did you get that info from because I am positive that Stanley/Forbort got scored against vs. Calgary.

I think Chevy is at the point where he has to make room for some young players, because we can't carry an extra goalie, forward, and d-man and have a prospect win a job, without someone losing theirs. With injuries we've managed well in the first quarter of the year, but at some point for Stanley to be a full time member of the team, Niku is going to have to get moved or waived on to the taxi squad.

I think Maurice sees that Stanley can be more effective than Beaulieu right now. He's also trying to keep Boo Boo's confidence up, because he's struggling, and Maurice relied on him pretty heavily last year. I think the nature of Stanley's game is what we need. Someone who can cover the front of the net. Win board battles. Someone who can get the puck on net from the blueline.

After that it's next opportunity for Samberg and Heinola. Samberg's will definitely come this year. But he isn't being hurt by getting top PK reps on the Moose, because it would be pretty risky for him to get PK reps on the Jets, first. Already has 1 goal against. So there's always room for improvement. Heinola I am not so sure. If the Jets burn year one of his ELC this year, are they getting the best years out of his ELC?

Reactions: hn777

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
=
DumpsterFire2.jpg

Reactions: TheGovernment

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
My heart says Beaulieu but my mind reminds me someone took Sbisa haha.

Also there is the fact that he's been a part of this team, and is well respected by teammates, and building a team is a process of integrating individuals. Then there is the expansion draft, where he will not be protected. Then there is the fact he is doing well on the PK. If we waived Niku, would anyone touch him?

Reactions: hn777 and Jet

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Also there is the fact that he's been a part of this team, and is well respected by teammates, and building a team is a process of integrating individuals. Then there is the expansion draft, where he will not be protected. If we waived Niku, would anyone touch him?
He's also utter and complete garbage, which when our team defense is one of our biggest issues does much to nullify his part of the team. But it might be preferable to waive Niku because of the expansion draft.

Reactions: rubikscube

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
He's also utter and complete garbage, which when our team defense is one of our biggest issues does much to nullify his part of the team. But it might be preferable to waive Niku because of the expansion draft.
Utter and complete garbage?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
So, if someone claimed Niku, what do we lose?
A career AHLer that would be called up only after many injuries? There's D men in the system that can be called up after lots of injuries.
Don't waive an XD D man in boolow, sit him. If someone needs to be waived, waive Niku.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Well you are entitled to your opinion, because it's a forum, but I think that's probably more conjecture than truth. He's definitely going through a cold spell though, I'm not going to deny this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad