Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Reinhart interests me alot but why would he come here?

FA class is weak. Maybe sign a few guys to short term deals and wait for next years. Idk if its any better tho.

Cant see anyone coming here unless overpaid.

Not really on the Lindholm hype

Reactions: wintersej

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I get the first part.

But, while it is a career year, I don’t consider 37 goals, good wheels and 80 PIM, to be at the “dime a dozen” level.

I think as a JDB replacement, you can still count on 25+ goals and 65/70, PIM on the second line, which is pretty good production for 3.6.

And obviousl with far less 200 foot game, but it saves money for 2024, but if he does what you suggest then Varano wants Debrusk money the following year

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Are we better off with Zadorov (5-5.5?) and Vatrano at a combined 8/9 or JDB (who we’ve heard may not be back) and Carlo for 10 or so?

Problem of course here is Zadarov doesn't play 2nd pairing RHD. And that is beyond the problem that there is no guarantee you can get him, even if you are willing to bid very aggressively

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
And obviousl with far less 200 foot game, but it saves money for 2024, but if he does what you suggest then Varano wants Debrusk money the following year

Maybe, or maybe he takes something less to round out his career here?

Who knows?

Problem of course here is Zadarov doesn't play 2nd pairing RHD. And that is beyond the problem that there is no guarantee you can get him, even if you are willing to bid very aggressively

Well, I think there are lots of moving parts in any off season.

Maybe it’s not Zadorov, but someone else.

With that being said, I find Zadorov to be tremendously underrated here.

He’s definitely playing like a second pair guy when it counts right now.

I guess it depends on how the rest of the blue line is constructed.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Maybe, or maybe he takes something less to round out his career here?

Who knows?

Well, I think there are lots of moving parts in any off season.

Maybe it’s not Zadorov, but someone else.

With that being said, I find Zadorov to be tremendously underrated here.

He’s definitely playing like a second pair guy when it counts right now.

I guess it depends on how the rest of the blue line is constructed.

Maybe he takes less, he has no connections to Boston though so that would seem shocking

OK so with Zadarov and no Carlo I guess your defensive pairings are

Lindholm-McAvoy
Zadarov-Peek
Lohrei - X
With Witherspoon, Regular, and a discount vet competing for 3rd line RHD

I guess you could re-jigger the 3LHD all over the pairings, and Mony will

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Reactions: Gordoff and Bodit9

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Maybe he takes less, he has no connections to Boston though so that would seem shocking

OK so with Zadarov and no Carlo I guess your defensive pairings are

Lindholm-McAvoy
Zadarov-Peek
Lohrei - X
With Witherspoon, Regular, and a discount vet competing for 3rd line RHD

I guess you could re-jigger the 3LHD all over the pairings, and Mony will

Vatrano grew up in Massachusetts, I think.

And, as much as we tend to obsess (me included) about pairings…with so much special teams I don’t worry about it as much.

You could also go

Zadorov - McAvoy
Lindholm - Peake
Lohrei - ??

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
I think Sweeney will make something happen out of left field to address the centre position. Lindholm seems pretty decent but I'm hoping for a Chara/Savard type of off season. Will need to get creative for sure but seems like Sweeney does decent at this. They need gritty playoff performers, #1 center, someone in the bottom six forward and bottom pairing vet that can play physical. A Toffoli/Bert as well as getting a 1st round pick in this draft. Have a feeling it will be a pretty good offseason. Also wouldn't be surprised to see one of Lysell/Merkulov make the team out of camp and should be given every opportunity too.

Gone: Jake, Gryz, Shat, Forb, Maroon, Linus, JVR
Redundant: Heinen, Geekie

Bertuzzi ### Pasta
Marchand Zacha Freddy
Joshua Coyle ###
Brazeau Beecher Lauko

### McAvoy
Lindholm Carlo
Lohrei Peeke
Wotherspoon

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Frederic + Ullmark for Mercer

This roster leaves the Bruins with around $5M of cap space so the Bruins could technically move Zacha to wing and go after Lindholm instead of Bertuzzi while still having some spare change for a bottom paring defenseman.

Bertuzzi ($5.5M AAV) - Zacha - Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle - Mercer ($5.75M AAV)
Trenin ($2.25 AAV) - Merkulov/Poitras - Geekie
Lauko - Beecher - Brazeau
Maroon ($1M AAV)

Lindholm - McAvoy
Lohrei - Carlo
Wotherpsoon/X - Peeke
X/Wotherspoon

Swayman ($7.5M AAV)
Bussi ($950k AAV)
That would be giving Ullmark away for free, Freddy is as good or better than Mercer in some aspects of the game, I would say Frederic and Ullmark to NJ for Mercer + 2024 1st, otherwise find another dance partner.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
This is not an anti Carlo idea.

Just thinking of hockey trades that may help both teams.

Thoughts on a deal centered around Carlo and Vatrano?

Not sure if Anaheim would give up much more, due to Carlo being signed for 3 more years vs. Vatrano for 1.

Anaheim is terrible defensively.

Boston could use a guy who shoots and skates like Vatrano, plus he’s got some sandpaper to his game, as he was in the top 25 or so in PIM.

He’s signed for 3.65 and is a UFA next summer. The B’s can then replace Carlo with Zadorov or another more physical guy.

Again, I like Carlo, I just like Vatrano too and TBH the defense can use a little thunder and Carlo might be the most marketable guy they have back there due to his ability and contract situation.
They would have more than just Vatrano to get Carlo, big top 4 RHD are worth more than a mid 6 winger who had a career year.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
So pulling this from the trash bag thread - better to discuss here. @LouJersey made the point of how Ullmark could sculpt his NTC list around who has established goalies, etc. The goal - if you’re the agent and player - is the get the player in a position of control as much as possible. They can always waive (and in his case do so only if there’s a big extension in place) but trying to balance that with places you would never want to play is key.

I took a crack at building his list (obviously we’re not in his head and maybe he’s always wanted to go back to Buffalo or something lol) but here’s what I would do.

On List (City/Franchise):
Winnipeg (yes Hellebuyck but not taking any chances of going to that godforsaken place)
Edmonton
Calgary
Buffalo
Columbus
Utah* (guessing he had to turn his list in prior to knowing the move so it was AZ)

Off List (established goalie)
NYR
Dallas
florida
Vancouver
Nashville
Tampa
NYI

That leaves 18 teams to slot.

On List (control)
LAK
Ottawa
NJD
Detroit

These are the four teams most in need and I’d want control over that

Off List (Boston not trading with them)
Toronto
Montreal

Chances of a Bruins deal there are very slim so I’d take the chance

That leaves me six teams to put on my list.

My last six would be:
Anaheim
SJ
Chicago

(Three franchises years away from competing)

Carolina
Colorado
Pittsburgh

(Three good franchises who I wouldn’t mind playing for, but want control.)

So that would leave the following teams Boston could trade freely with:

NYR
NYI
Dallas
Florida
Vancouver
Nashville
Tampa
NYI

Toronto
Montreal

St Louis
Washington
Minnesota
Philadelphia
Seattle

Makes it pretty hard to make an Ullmark trade without getting him to waive.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Hope Sweeney can pull a rabbit out of a hat . Not much to choose from in the FA market. Cap jail bait , way to easy to take on a bad contract.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Providence for a year, let him play a full schedule, dominate the league and then either bring him up for the playoffs or ready to take a top 3 center spot the next year. Stephenson can play wing. I'm sure there will be injuries he can get called up then.
Totally agree, Poitras was not ready for the NHL last year, should have gone back to Junior. A year or two in the AHL will help him to round out his game and be ready next trip to the big league.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Forward Jake DeBrusk is an unrestricted free agent and the Bruins should finally part ways with the 27-year-old homegrown talent. He led the Bruins with five goals and six assists for 11 points in 13 playoff games, but his lack of urgency to get back on his feet after partially blocking a shot in Game 7 led to the Panthers game-tying goal. He’s been too inconsistent during his career. No doubt he’s seeking a huge pay day as a UFA and the Bruins shouldn’t re-sign him.

If Joe McDonald writing this not good

spitballing

Zacha- LINDHOLM- Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle - MERCER

That’s doable

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Vatrano grew up in Massachusetts, I think.

And, as much as we tend to obsess (me included) about pairings…with so much special teams I don’t worry about it as much.

You could also go

Zadorov - McAvoy
Lindholm - Peake
Lohrei - ??

No connection to Boston is Zadarov not Vatran, who has a ton of connections to Boston

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Forward Jake DeBrusk is an unrestricted free agent and the Bruins should finally part ways with the 27-year-old homegrown talent. He led the Bruins with five goals and six assists for 11 points in 13 playoff games, but his lack of urgency to get back on his feet after partially blocking a shot in Game 7 led to the Panthers game-tying goal. He’s been too inconsistent during his career. No doubt he’s seeking a huge pay day as a UFA and the Bruins shouldn’t re-sign him.

If Joe McDonald writing this not good

spitballing

Zacha- LINDHOLM- Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle - MERCER

That’s doable

I still think the best plan is to move Ullmark for a package that includes a 1 this season and fill out the top 6 via FA.

As much as I want a Zadorov type on the back end, I don’t think going into the RS with:

McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, Peake, Lohrei, Wotherspoon, Regula is a bad idea.

Use the money for Lindholm, first and foremost, then hopefully two out of:

Monahan, Stephenson, Toffoli, Guentzel, Mantha, Sprong, etc.

Last edited:

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Totally agree, Poitras was not ready for the NHL last year, should have gone back to Junior. A year or two in the AHL will help him to round out his game and be ready next trip to the big league.
I think his game is ok it’s his strength he got knocked around like a rag doll ,was terrified every time he was on the ice that he was going to get killed.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
That would be giving Ullmark away for free, Freddy is as good or better than Mercer in some aspects of the game, I would say Frederic and Ullmark to NJ for Mercer + 2024 1st, otherwise find another dance partner.
As a basis of a deal it works with plusses coming from NJ.

Reactions: bbfan419
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad