GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
There's definitely a chance that Tavares waives, especially since he has at least 1 more large contract in his career. If he's told that it's not coming and the chance to get that security elsewhere then he has every reason to consider a move.

IMO, the reason for considering him sticking around is that Berube may insist on it.

Good luck replacing your 2C with that significant amount of cap space with the current UFA group and no assets to work with.
This. if Tavares were UFA this year he would have the best offensive stats of any UFA centre. Yes, he is overpaid but only for one more year. Our off-season should be about changing the culture and balance...

(1) Replace Keefe with coach that is known to hold players accountable - check
(2) Extend Tavares for 3 x $2.5M on July 1. Showing that he (and others?) are willing to take a discount to win in Toronto
(3) JT gives the C to Matthews. New coach, new captain.
(4) Convert Marner into three useful pieces (two defensemen) through trade and/or free agency with cap space created from moving Marner.
(5) Re-sign Domi and Bertuzzi
(6) Allow young players to continue to grow and contribute on low salaries...Knies, McMann, Holmberg, Robertson, Benoit, Will...and then Cowan, Minten, Grebenkin, Niemela, and Hildeby.

• Love
Reactions: aingefan

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
So you think Tavares, with 11M cap hit and 65 points to his name, should return enough assets to acquire a suitable 2C?
It doesn't even have to be a 2c

The CapFriendly idea I go with is to Dallas is basically to replace Pavelski @ 4m retained for Suter and Steel.

Then you buy Suter out.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Just perusing other boards:

1000006561.jpg

It's a lot of "stuff" and virtually all require new contracts in or around the near future (according to capfriendly), but I like the idea of a multi-piece framework with a forward coming back in the deal. Not sure Tomasino fits the mold, but I'll admit I haven't seen many Predators games this year. Just find it sort of interesting to read what other fans are thinking.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don’t see the point in dumping Tavares just to dump him. There’s nothing currently available to us worth spending that money on. Better off just pulling a Vegas and acquiring someone at the deadline and extending them with Tavares’ cap space.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
As much as I’d want JT traded, I think he’ll be back. At least he’s shown he’s got that fight under him and he’s willing to get dirty if need be. He’s a good role model for a player like Cowan making up two thirds of a solid third line.

Reactions: aingefan

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Im on the team that thinks Woll is legit #1 option for us in net.

I know he has some injury issues, but Trelving has already pointed that out and now that the narrative is out there, I think Woll will take his off-season training very seriously.

If we're trading Marner, go for another area of depth and need. As others said, either a top defenseman of his caliber or a young offensive option like Tomasino or McTavish

As much as I’d want JT traded, I think he’ll be back. At least he’s shown he’s got that fight under him and he’s willing to get dirty if need be. He’s a good role model for a player like Cowan making up two thirds of a solid third line.
I thought it was interesting Tavares said just 2 days ago that Treliving reached out and texted Tavares about Berube being named our coach and to reach out to him.

Maybe its nothing, but if Tavares was someone they wanted to trade this off-season, I don't know if he necessarily does that.

But I acknowledge I could be reaching here

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Im on the team that thinks Woll is legit #1 option for us in net.

I know he has some injury issues, but Trelving has already pointed that out and now that the narrative is out there, I think Woll will take his off-season training very seriously.

If we're trading Marner, go for another area of depth and need. As others said, either a top defenseman of his caliber or a young offensive option like Tomasino or McTavish

I thought it was interesting Tavares said just 2 days ago that Treliving reached out and texted Tavares about Berube being named our coach and to reach out to him.

Maybe its nothing, but if Tavares was someone they wanted to trade this off-season, I don't know if he necessarily does that.

But I acknowledge I could be reaching here
Depending if Marner is traded and how much cap space that opens up, Dakota Joshua would be fun to place next to JT’s left side on the third line. There’s the previous history between Joshua and Berube who basically gave him his first NHL shot.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Mock off-season V4:

To TOR: Dach, Korczak
To VGK: Marner (50% retained), Kovacevic, Dewar
To MTL: Theodore, Roy, Marner retention (5.45M)

To NSH: Robertson, Timmins
To TOR: Tomasino

To UTA: Kampf, Liljegren
To TOR: McBain

To PIT: Jarnkrok
To TOR: PIT 24 2nd

To STL: Woll
To TOR: Binnington

UFA:
Montour 7.5Mx5 (not sure what the market will be like for Montour)
Tanev 5Mx2
Bertuzzi 5Mx4
Domi 4Mx4
Driedger 1Mx1

Screen Shot 2024-05-20 at 11.50.28 AM.png

Leafs pick up significant C depth. Their U25 C's are now: Dach, McBain, Tomasino, Minten.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Are we sleeping on Anaheim as a Marner target
I could see Utah being a real player here. Plenty of young players coming up, tons of draft picks, have the cap space and a new owner looking to make a big splash…

To Toronto: Dylan Guenther + Sean Durzi
To Utah: Mitch Marner

Re-sign Durzi, 6 years at 4.5 million per.

Reactions: aingefan and Altair

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I could see Utah being a real player here. Plenty of young players coming up, tons of draft picks, have the cap space and a new owner looking to make a big splash…

To Toronto: Dylan Guenther + Sean Durzi
To Utah: Mitch Marner

Re-sign Durzi, 6 years at 4.5 million per.
Utah has so many players I would be happy with.

They have skill, they have size, and a lot of guys I would love to see come in a trade.

Only question is if he would waive to go there.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Depending if Marner is traded and how much cap space that opens up, Dakota Joshua would be fun to place next to JT’s left side on the third line. There’s the previous history between Joshua and Berube who basically gave him his first NHL shot.
Would like this as well.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It depends what his priorities are. He'll have made 100M in his career. Is he more motivated by money or by coming home to his wife and kids during the season and raising his kids with their grandparents in the picture?

I'm not sure if you're married but, at some point it's a hard sell to your wife that you willingly chose to move away from family so you can make extra money that will end up meaningless in the long run.

I think the more likely draw than money is chasing a cup before his career ends

Reactions: Americanadian

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If you're saying the Leafs have to eat 2.8M in dead cap to get rid of him, why do you insist on getting an asset back if a 3rd team eats salary?

Option 1:
To TOR: Kuzy
To CAR: Tavares

Toronto eats 2.8M dead cap, no assets

Option 2:
To Team X: Tavares (50% retained)
To Team Y: 50% Tavares salary, Team X 25 2nd
To TOR: nothing

Toronto eats no salary, receives no asset.

If option 2 were to happen I think the Leafs should just be happy to get out of the entire deal for free and not expect an asset back.

Yes. That would be ideal. I don’t know how feasible it is. That’s why I said barring that situation.

Tavares if he were to waive. Would probably go to a contender. More likely east to be close to home.

So of the playoff teams.
NYR NYI CAR BOS TBL FLA WSH.

CAR/BOS/WSH are probably the only options and CAR needs C depth the most.

In the West.
VAN EDM NSH VGK COL WPG LA DAL

I don’t see any of those teams needing/fitting him.

Mock off-season V4:

UFA:
Tanev 5Mx2
Bertuzzi 5Mx4
Domi 4Mx4
Driedger 1Mx1

View attachment 873508

Leafs pick up significant C depth. Their U25 C's are now: Dach, McBain, Tomasino, Minten

What program is this

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
To Toronto-
Lawson Crouse
Clayton Keller
Maveric Lamoureux

To Utah-
Mitch Marner
Timothy Liljegren
Nick Robertson

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Mock off-season V4:

UFA:
Tanev 5Mx2
Bertuzzi 5Mx4
Domi 4Mx4
Driedger 1Mx1

View attachment 873508

Leafs pick up significant C depth. Their U25 C's are now: Dach, McBain, Tomasino, Minten.

its totally trash for toronto, giving up marner for an average injury prone 2C. Its probably the worst trade offer i saw.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
its totally trash for toronto, giving up marner for an average injury prone 2C. Its probably the worst trade offer i saw.
Dach put up 38 points in 58 games at 21. He's 6'4 and is a 92nd percentile skater (speed). He's signed until 2026 under 3.5M. He'd be an awesome 2C as he enters his prime.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Dach put up 38 points in 58 games at 21. He's 6'4 and is a 92nd percentile skater (speed). He's signed until 2026 under 3.5M. He'd be an awesome 2C as he enters his prime.

if he's healthy, since he,@ in the NHL he never played at complete season ..

and we still talk about a top 10 offensive player in the NHL since he's in the NHL.

A superstar winger value or even a top pair D value >>>>>>> 2nd c whatever whats the contract are

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He also struggled in Chicago on top of being injury prone. He’s a fine player but there’s no chance I’m giving up Marner with him being the main piece coming to Toronto.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
He also struggled in Chicago on top of being injury prone. He’s a fine player but there’s no chance I’m giving up Marner with him being the main piece coming to Toronto.
The injury history is worrisome although he production at 18/19/20 on bad Chicago teams is not.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Utah has so many players I would be happy with.

They have skill, they have size, and a lot of guys I would love to see come in a trade.

Only question is if he would waive to go there.
Salt Lake City is beautiful, 10x better than Toronto. A lot less pressure from the fans and media. Lots of activities to do all year round. Chance to play in an inaugural season setting records from day one, likelihood of that happening ever again is very very slim. Potentially being named the first ever Utah captain? Etc.

Plenty of pros and cons from both sides but if he were willing to waive to go there, there’s definitely a deal to be made there IMO.

Reactions: weems and LeafSteel

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Curious though.

Does this mean you are moving on from Robertson or not resigning Bertuzzi?
A few different factors here… Depends on the Marner trade, who we get back and how much cap space we opened up. Then how much would Joshua want on the open market? Marchment ended up getting 4.5 per, that’s too rich for my liking so the most I would pay for Joshua would be 3.5 per. Is that enough for a player coming off a pretty good year looking to cash in?

When it comes to Robertson, I like him but I don’t see a future here for him. I would move on regardless and trade him while he still has some solid value.

Warren Foegele is another name I would have interest in. Hits plenty and can skate fast. He’s also from the GTA. Third line of McMann - Tavares - Foegele would be real solid. Cowan in for McMann if he’s injured or can’t pick up where he left off last season. McMann re-injuring his knee worries me a little.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad