OT: Winnipeg Ice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah exactly. I might be inclined to take a shot at Savoie 1st since they've also got the 9th pick. Now I'm even more bummed out that Savoie was denied exceptional status.

Edit: Draft him 1st, and if he wants to play in the WHL for a certain team... get a king's ransom from that team.
Why wouldn't he play with the Ice?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
he committed to u of denver this week if I recall correctly. Hopefully ownership can change his mind, his jersey sales would be huge
So if it is a bantam draft the kid has to be a couple years away from the NCAA, where is he expected to play the next couple seasons? I'm assuming the USHL would be most likely.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
So if it is a bantam draft the kid has to be a couple years away from the NCAA, where is he expected to play the next couple seasons? I'm assuming the USHL would be most likely.

Or the AJHL, so Mom can continue to cook his dinner and clean up his room. :nod:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

He was denied exceptional status for the AJHL and then denied exceptional status for the WHL. He has been accelerating his schooling to play for U of Denver in his draft year. His brother Carter, AJHL rookie of the year, is also committed to playing for Denver. He was apparently reluctant to commit to playing with Prince George, which is why Hockey Canada denied him exceptional status.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out as Winnipeg might be a more enticing city for him to play in with an NHL team next door and likely more frequent scouting. They have a lot of talent coming up with Krebs, McClennon and Lambos. Adding Savoie could form a pretty heavy team, having a player of that calibre is likely to attract some top imports as well. Now that we Winnipeg knows they have the best shot at it they need to recruit hard and get him to sign at all costs. I wonder if they might even petition Hockey Canada to reconsider granting him ES as well.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He was denied exceptional status for the AJHL and then denied exceptional status for the WHL. He has been accelerating his schooling to play for U of Denver in his draft year. His brother Carter, AJHL rookie of the year, is also committed to playing for Denver. He was apparently reluctant to commit to playing with Prince George, which is why Hockey Canada denied him exceptional status.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out as Winnipeg might be a more enticing city for him to play in with an NHL team next door and likely more frequent scouting. They have a lot of talent coming up with Krebs, McClennon and Lambos. Adding Savoie could form a pretty heavy team, having a player of that calibre is likely to attract some top imports as well. Now that we Winnipeg knows they have the best shot at it they need to recruit hard and get him to sign at all costs. I wonder if they might even petition Hockey Canada to reconsider granting him ES as well.
Thanks Dax. Your definitely a go to guy on prospects/junior players.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

I heard talk that it’s harder to be granted exceptional status while playing in the Dub. Something about how they don’t want such young kids making the huge road trips that are necessary in the WHL. Wonder if that’s why he was denied?

Edit: Speaking of exceptional status, how on earth was Sean Day granted it? If he can be granted it, you would think Savoie would get it. I wonder if Connor Bedard tries when it’s his time.

Reactions: KingBogo

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

If they aren't able to ours are him the WHO would be the top 3 kids that they would be looking at?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I heard talk that it’s harder to be granted exceptional status while playing in the Dub. Something about how they don’t want such young kids making the huge road trips that are necessary in the WHL. Wonder if that’s why he was denied?

Edit: Speaking of exceptional status, how on earth was Sean Day granted it? If he can be granted it, you would think Savoie would get it. I wonder if Connor Bedard tries when it’s his time.

I think the travel thing is overrated especially for a kid coming out of the CSSHL, a pretty much Western Canada wide league that travels from Winnipeg out to Vancouver Island. Though Hockey Canada guys live in Ontario so a 2 hour drive to play hockey might seem long to them. Western kids are used to heavy travel schedules in pretty much ever higher level of sport. When I played baseball, hockey, football and soccer I travelled 1-6 hours for games and tournaments often.

From what I've heard from a friend within the WHL, they denied Savoie because he basically told them that he will not play for Prince George if they get the 1st overall pick and would go to the NCAA if they selected him. That would be really bad look on the league to grant him ES only to have him drop in the draft or get drafted by PG and go to the NCAA anyways. It's a big reason why I think exceptional status decisions should be made after the draft lottery. Shane Wright on the other hand committed fully to playing anywhere in the OHL, who doesn't have a draft lottery for 1st overall and at the time it looked like Flint had the first overall pick locked up (yes that Flint that has no clean drinking water and a massive poverty problem). Wright lucked out and got Kingston after all was said and done but the fact that he committed to going to whoever drafted him is why he was granted ES and Savoie was not.

Sean Day was granted because he was a great skater that was doing well playing in midget in his draft year. But nothing about him was really exceptional outside of the hype he had and his skating. Which didn't really get much better.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If they aren't able to ours are him the WHO would be the top 3 kids that they would be looking at?
I was wonder this as well, not that it is very likely that I've heard anything about them. Now that we have a Junior team in the city I will have to get more informed on the amateur side of hockey.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Hard to say, so many of this class have committed to the NCAA but that can be a tactic to sway bad teams from taking them. Winnipeg might have an upper hand now with some of these kids based on being a fresh and exciting new place with a lot of potential.

Koehn Ziemmer - Is a 5'10 RH center playing out of OHA EDM bantam prep team. 2nd in scoring in the league behind only Bedard. Good quick high IQ player. Equal opportunity kid that can score and set up plays.

Keaton Dowhaniuk - A 5'10, RHD, also playing out of OHA EDM bantam. Led the league in scoring for defencemen. Real efficient heads up defender who plays the modern offensive puck mover style of game. Would make a great partner for Lambos.

Brandon Lisowsky - 5'8, LH center playing out of BWC bantam. A pure goalscorer with a quick release. Could end up shifting to wing at higher levels. Scored 4 goals in 3 games when he was called up to Elite 15's.

Connor Geekie - A big 6'3 LW, Manitoba kid. Physical net driver with a real solid shot, greats hands and good skater. Led Winnipeg bantam in goals and points.

If they don't get Savoie I'd imagine it will be one of those 4. Ziemmer or Dowhaniuk seem like the best picks.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Hard to say, so many of this class have committed to the NCAA but that can be a tactic to sway bad teams from taking them. Winnipeg might have an upper hand now with some of these kids based on being a fresh and exciting new place with a lot of potential.

Koehn Ziemmer - Is a 5'10 RH center playing out of OHA EDM bantam prep team. 2nd in scoring in the league behind only Bedard. Good quick high IQ player. Equal opportunity kid that can score and set up plays.

Keaton Dowhaniuk - A 5'10, RHD, also playing out of OHA EDM bantam. Led the league in scoring for defencemen. Real efficient heads up defender who plays the modern offensive puck mover style of game. Would make a great partner for Lambos.

Brandon Lisowsky - 5'8, LH center playing out of BWC bantam. A pure goalscorer with a quick release. Could end up shifting to wing at higher levels. Scored 4 goals in 3 games when he was called up to Elite 15's.

Connor Geekie - A big 6'3 LW, Manitoba kid. Physical net driver with a real solid shot, greats hands and good skater. Led Winnipeg bantam in goals and points.

If they don't get Savoie I'd imagine it will be one of those 4. Ziemmer or Dowhaniuk seem like the best picks.
Keep posting background info Dax. Getting interested in amateur hockey is a new thing for me at least but I'm kind of liking it and hope to be able to catch some of the Ice games.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
From what I've heard from a friend within the WHL, they denied Savoie because he basically told them that he will not play for Prince George if they get the 1st overall pick and would go to the NCAA if they selected him. That would be really bad look on the league to grant him ES only to have him drop in the draft or get drafted by PG and go to the NCAA anyways.

0a2b76fd6d6ef6b4fe0abbff1b45d0469e4baad1f8576f08798b81cc6b1e4fb7.jpg

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
So I don't have as good of an understanding as I'd like on the WHL, if we were to draft somebody like Savoie, and he chooses to go the NCAA route, do we get compensation at all? Or is it just a wasted pick? Can we talk to him beforehand to know if he'd sign here or not? Like could we trade his pick to a team that he considers "worthy" of his talents for a king's ransom if he doesn't want to play here?

I'm excited for this new chapter. I've always followed the WHL kind of haphazardly but this might get me into it a bit more.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So I don't have as good of an understanding as I'd like on the WHL, if we were to draft somebody like Savoie, and he chooses to go the NCAA route, do we get compensation at all? Or is it just a wasted pick? Can we talk to him beforehand to know if he'd sign here or not? Like could we trade his pick to a team that he considers "worthy" of his talents for a king's ransom if he doesn't want to play here?

I'm excited for this new chapter. I've always followed the WHL kind of haphazardly but this might get me into it a bit more.

No there is no compensation for picking players that don't report. They can talk to him before hand and any player they intend on drafting. You can draft him and trade his rights. If he signs though 15/16 year olds cannot be traded when signed as of this coming season.

Reactions: Atoyot

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

That sounds like an excuse they made up to (poorly) fit the situation and the real reason is something else. He's not just any young kid, he's an exceptional young kid (arguably, I guess). Unless he has demonstrated some travel-related weakness, he should be able to handle it. Denying him status for travel reasons seems bogus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad