OT: Winnipeg Ice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
This... Plus they make money on Merchandise and Drink/Food sales an extra 40+ games from October till April. Lastly, they aren't paying for flights back and forth to another city when players are Recalled/Assigned... It's a Win/Win for True North.
As far as flights in and out is it that much of a savings? Wouldn't the schedule be that when the Moose are at home the Jets are on the road and vice versa? They can't use the same building at the same dates. I don't know just putting it out there.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
We already have the Bisons Mens and Womens (national champions) and Winnipeg Blues that play in front of basically friends and family.

That's always been the case since before the Goldeyes started up in 1994 and the Moose began play in 1996. Not sure why University sports has never caught on in Winnipeg. In regards to the Winnipeg Blues, we'll have to see if support will increase once 50BSE acquires the team as planned.

:jets

Jaffray15

Mar 12, 2008
Winnipeg
www.nhl94.com
As far as flights in and out is it that much of a savings? Wouldn't the schedule be that when the Moose are at home the Jets are on the road and vice versa? They can't use the same building at the same dates. I don't know just putting it out there.

The Jets/Moose schedule has many dates where they are playing out of Bell MTS Place, 3-4 days in a row. This is why the Jets sometime carry the minimum players needed on their roster (20 players), to save paying players NHL salaries versus AHL.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
The point is that it is a moot point if they are profitable or not. Profitability is not the goal of the Moose organization its player development.

As an aside as part of TNSEs agreement with the Province of Manitoba in the building of BMTS and subsequent relocation of the Thrashers to Winnipeg. TNSE must remain as majority owners of the Moose until such time as the original agreement with the Province expires which I believe is 2029. It’s a safeguard in the event the Jets ever left that an anchor tenant would still be available for the facility.
lol thank you again for your opinion, but again that was not the question :laugh:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Season Seat Deposit

A non-refundable deposit of $50 per seat (the "Deposit") is required to register your name on the Winnipeg Ice Season Ticket Wait List.

WFP says tickets will range from $15 for standing to $35 for premium ( $8.75 more than the most expensive Moose package ).

Moose are $26.25 , $21.00, $15.75 per game per seat for full and mini-packs.

Last edited:
Reactions: pegcity

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
One thing to keep in mind is that the ICE haven't been good for the last 4 years. Their win percentages are .215 .278 .424 and currently .280 and by all accounts it will be sometime before they are good again. Will potential fans stick around long enough for them to get good? Or patient enough for the cyclical nature of major junior hockey? Not every team is Brandon or London that make the playoffs seemingly every year.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Proposed location, as far as I know, is off MacGillivray close to Fort Whyte (on the way to Oak Bluff).
This is the idea for the William Clement Parkway Extension. The approximate area where they want to build this arena is in the green circle.
upload_2019-1-30_14-11-43.png

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I believe it's where The Rink hockey training facility is building a new (ahem) rink/training facility.
Yes, at McGillivray Boulevard and Loudoun Road. That's the general vicinity of where I drew that green circle. It's a mile west of McGillivray and McCreary, which is the road to Fort Whyte.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Yes, at McGillivray Boulevard and Loudoun Road. That's the general vicinity of where I drew that green circle. It's a mile west of McGillivray and McCreary, which is the road to Fort Whyte.
Like I said earlier, while that location is great for those of us who live in the South part of the city, I don't know how many junior hockey lovers there are from the North and East part of the city who'll drive all the way down there in the winter to watch a mediocre junior team.

I have to assume that a large part of the team's costs/profits will come from the rest of the facility.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Like I said earlier, while that location is great for those of us who live in the South part of the city, I don't know how many junior hockey lovers there are from the North and East part of the city who'll drive all the way down there in the winter to watch a mediocre junior team.

I have to assume that a large part of the team's costs/profits will come from the rest of the facility.
I think it sets up a nice development system - just having another CHL team in the province helps that. But having the Blues there, plus the Rink Academy...it might give local talent a bit of a boost.

But yeah, it's a bit of a long haul from pretty much anywhere but Southwest Winnipeg right now. We'll see if there's enough interest to make it work.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I think it sets up a nice development system - just having another CHL team in the province helps that. But having the Blues there, plus the Rink Academy...it might give local talent a bit of a boost.

But yeah, it's a bit of a long haul from pretty much anywhere but Southwest Winnipeg right now. We'll see if there's enough interest to make it work.
...and it gives my kid an opportunity to stay at home when he makes the WHL. ;)

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Season Seat Deposit

A non-refundable deposit of $50 per seat (the "Deposit") is required to register your name on the Winnipeg Ice Season Ticket Wait List.

WFP says tickets will range from $15 for standing to $35 for premium ( $8.75 more than the most expensive Moose package ).

Moose are $26.25 , $21.00, $15.75 per game per seat for full and mini-packs.
Unless I lived in the area, which I don’t, I can’t think of a reason to spend the same or more money on the Ice rather than the Moose.

I have Moose half-seasons and would have been interested in getting an Ice mini pack up until I saw those prices.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Unless I lived in the area, which I don’t, I can’t think of a reason to spend the same or more money on the Ice rather than the Moose.

I have Moose half-seasons and would have been interested in getting an Ice mini pack up until I saw those prices.

I'm surprised as well. Pricing yourself higher than the Moose? Is this a good plan to succeed... when I'm sure people with family that want to attend hockey would like an actual cheaper option than the Jets or Moose. Unless these prices are only this high for the first couple of years while they play at the UofM with limited seating, and they would lower them or at least have cheaper options, when they build their new home.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
One thing to keep in mind is that the ICE haven't been good for the last 4 years. Their win percentages are .215 .278 .424 and currently .280 and by all accounts it will be sometime before they are good again. Will potential fans stick around long enough for them to get good? Or patient enough for the cyclical nature of major junior hockey? Not every team is Brandon or London that make the playoffs seemingly every year.

They'll be playing in Max Bell next year. It'll be easy to fill that one up, and by then, they'll be in their new building and their defined window will be open.

The thing is with Major Junior Teams is contender windows are very defined and predictable.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

From the outside looking in, it does look like they are going to set up a development system. I know that they have already acquired WHL rights to some players currently playing at RHA.

Charge players $20000 a year at the RHA and then feed them into their CHL and MJHL franchises. RHA grads looking to get NCAA scholarships going to MJHL and those wanting to follow the CHL route having heir rights acquired by the Ice.

Once RHA players start graduating into the NCAA ranks through their MJHL franchise and getting drafted out of the CHL franchise into the NHL it should bode very well from the business of hockey at RHA.

I know some of the investors involved and wish them much success.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

My ears perk up when no numbers are given, but they seem pretty happy.

Realistically, they'll only fit, what, 2,000 fans in Max Bell?

The media space is not close to adequate either. No idea about what kind of requirements there are for scouts.

It'll be an awkward first year that's for sure.

I'm sure the Jets are actually pretty happy with this. Now they can actively scout the WHL in their backyard, and meet with any Dub players currently in the system.

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
The arena will have areas to talk not like the tight concourse at MTS. That will draw in extra people along with the cheaper tickets, parking , alcohol

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I'm surprised as well. Pricing yourself higher than the Moose? Is this a good plan to succeed... when I'm sure people with family that want to attend hockey would like an actual cheaper option than the Jets or Moose.

The pricing hierarchy will remain NHL>AHL>WHL. TNSE will facilitate this by raising Moose ticket prices. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad