OT: Winnipeg Ice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Winnipeg.JPG

Lets just say NO, and not discuss it anymore.

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
What about the 50 Below Sports +Entertainment name. Sounds like they made that up today (-50 windchill)

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Hoping a new name/Logo
Ice is cheesy... Logo is horrible
Start the name game once again!
Warriors- Good but also a name of one of the biggest gangs in the province
Falcons- Cool.. like it
Winnipeg Wasps... like it potential cool logo/Jersey

IMHO it'll be the Ice. (I like the logo) I believe they redesigned the Jersey, logo and colour scheme when they first purchased the team.

From this:
upload_2019-1-29_16-13-43.png

to this:
upload_2019-1-29_16-14-0.png

With that said, now that the team isn't in the mountains maybe the Sasquatch theme doesn't make as much sense but I guess we'll see.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
IMHO it'll be the Ice. (I like the logo) I believe they redesigned the Jersey, logo and colour scheme when they first purchased the team.

From this:
View attachment 180779

to this:
View attachment 180781

With that said, now that the team isn't in the mountains maybe the Sasquatch theme doesn't make as much sense but I guess we'll see.
My cousin (he was one of those kids that would make up the hugest lies possible to get attention) said he saw Sasquatch on an almost weekly basis near the Duck Mountains in the 80s (our family farms were at the foot of Duck Mountain Park), so I say keep that logo.

The original logo likes like Kokanee trying to cash in on the Ice beer fad of the early 90s. In fact wouldn't surprise me if there is truth in that lol

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Thanks for your opinion but that wasn't my question.

The point is that it is a moot point if they are profitable or not. Profitability is not the goal of the Moose organization its player development.

As an aside as part of TNSEs agreement with the Province of Manitoba in the building of BMTS and subsequent relocation of the Thrashers to Winnipeg. TNSE must remain as majority owners of the Moose until such time as the original agreement with the Province expires which I believe is 2029. It’s a safeguard in the event the Jets ever left that an anchor tenant would still be available for the facility.

Revolver

Mar 22, 2013
Winnipeg

Wasn’t there a Sasquatch sighting near Plum Coulee?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
It doesn’t matter what they are financially. It’s simply the cost of doing business in the NHL. TNSE has complete control over player development, don’t see that changing. I’m sure the compounded ticket increases for the Jets will more than off set any Moose losses.

This is bang on.

AHL teams in general don't make money. Better to take the loss with the team nearby and save some other costs than have them losing money somewhere else with the benefit of player development. If they could find another St. John's I think they would consider moving the team. I've heard they do not want to sell the franchise and want to retain control over it's management, they would let someone run the business side like St. John's.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Building a 5000 seat arena is kind of a major project. I will look forward to what the design is.

It also helps draw international events by having a second venue.

Reactions: SM

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Well, they're building the new arena five minutes from my house, so for fifteen bucks for the cheap seats, it may become an easy last minute entertainment decision for our household..."Hey, the Pats/Ice game starts in 20 minutes, ya wanna go?"

... wonder how much for a beer.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The proposed location is probably going to be quite close to where Bishop Grandin Blvd. and the William Clement Parkway are going to meet up. It would be like proposing a similar project at Kenaston and McGillivray in the 1990s...now look at it.
Proposed location, as far as I know, is off MacGillivray close to Fort Whyte (on the way to Oak Bluff).

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
If they did, they would be in one of the smallest arenas in the AHL that would not even hold an average Moose crowd this season. So yes, sounds like typical TNSE strategy. Create a situation where demand exceeds supply so you can charge more.
With the Jets and the Moose competing for the same dollars, 4,000 is an optimistic crowd for a WHL team in this city. The old Warriors were lucky to get half that in the early 1980's before they left.

Plus, while the location is very convenient for me and others who live in the South part of the city, I can't see the allure to the average fan living in North Kildonan/Transcona/St. Boniface. Too far to go. Although, I imagine the parking will be free (better be).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad