OT: Winnipeg Ice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
100% pure speculation, like grade A Colombian pure, BUT I work very close to the 24/7 In Touch facility on St.James by the old arena spot and over the past couple of days there has been a ton of activity on the empty lots where the old arena used to sit, drilling core samples and such.

Given the food served in the old arena, they could be testing the site for toxic waste. :laugh:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
100% pure speculation, like grade A Colombian pure, BUT I work very close to the 24/7 In Touch facility on St.James by the old arena spot and over the past couple of days there has been a ton of activity on the empty lots where the old arena used to sit, drilling core samples and such.

I wouldn't be surprised if the owner of 24/7 In touch/Kooteney ice is eyeing up the spot. I can't imagine there being any interest in more retail space, again this is 100% pure speculation.

I know what thats for.. Its not an arena

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This article puts it in the South Landing industrial area.
Kootenay Ice move to Manitoba not confirmed, but looking more likely

"Upon relocation, the Ice are expected to use the cramped quarters at the University of Manitoba's aging Wayne Fleming Arena as a new home for up to two seasons while a new arena, seating between 4,500 and 5,000 spectators, is constructed on a parcel of land next to The Rink Academy's new digs on South Landing, near the corner of McGillivray Boulevard and Loudoun Road".

Seems pretty far removed from other attractions, like bars and restaurants. Like, who says to their family, "hey, how about we head out to an industrial park for the evening?" :sarcasm:

Oof the entire time I lived in Winnipeg I don't think I've ever been to that part of town. When people were saying McGillivray in relation to the new arena, I thought people meant the Kenaston and McGillivray area with all those strip malls by Mongos. I had to google map McGillivray Boulevard and Loudoun Road, it literally looks like the middle of nowhere.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Hmmmm I heard the new arena was already underway...:huh:
There is a new arena being built but it is small with minimal spectator space, there would be an additional 5000 seat arena being built if they in fact move.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Oof the entire time I lived in Winnipeg I don't think I've ever been to that part of town. When people were saying McGillivray in relation to the new arena, I thought people meant the Kenaston and McGillivray area with all those strip malls by Mongos. I had to google map McGillivray Boulevard and Loudoun Road, it literally looks like the middle of nowhere.

Technically, it's not Winnipeg. Ladies and gentlemen, presenting your....

Oak Bluff ICE!!!! :laugh:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The Ice have now had over 50 players come through the organization in the last year. Seem to be acquiring a lot of Manitoba born players. I don't think that is a great strategy but we'll see how it plays out.

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
I had to google map McGillivray Boulevard and Loudoun Road, it literally looks like the middle of nowhere.

Exactly, but less than 1 hour access for the 80000+ residents in and between Portage la Prairie, Morden/Winkler and Steinbach. It is also nearest the new housing development in Winnipeg that some say will be larger than Brandon.

Don't be surprised if Ryan Cyr (Spokane goalie coach and The Rink president) joins the Ice's coaching staff this summer.

Stocking up on MB talent will leverage their initial business proposal. As the Jets have proven, the hype will take care of revenues the first few years. Even if they sucker the locals for a few years, then skip town, so what? It's just a business and it looks a lot better than Cranbrook.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Sorry if this was already posted.

A new Rink rising in South Landing

Article says viewing for 700 and construction started Nov 2017. The move of the Ice comes too far into the construction process to expand on the 700 capacity for that rink. Soooooo..... acquire adjacent land and build a bigger arena on it?

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Sorry if this was already posted.

A new Rink rising in South Landing

Article says viewing for 700 and construction started Nov 2017. The move of the Ice comes too far into the construction process to expand on the 700 capacity for that rink. Soooooo..... acquire adjacent land and build a bigger arena on it?

they have the land. That rink is for RHA and stuff like that. A second rink will be built for the Ice

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
The Rink’s new facility is almost finished and is about to be opening soon. Not sure if it has been mention but it contains a full sized rink, a 120ft x 60ft rink and a goalie sheet. Also, there is going to be a track that runs around the full sized rink. Very state of the art facility, such as the full sized workout gym for developing players.

DuckyChuck

May 6, 2015
Poster said old arena site, but he must mean old stadium site. There's a PF Changs going up in that lot somewhere, it could be related to that.

Turns out the city is using the space for holding materials and equipment while they stabilize the creek bed prior to resurfacing Empress.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I want us to never get ECHL after WHL moves here. WHL will probably be here to stay when this arena deal gets one, might even be the second home for the Moose. Might even open a door for minor league basketball to come to Winnipeg one day, or something similar.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I want us to never get ECHL after WHL moves here. WHL will probably be here to stay when this arena deal gets one, might even be the second home for the Moose. Might even open a door for minor league basketball to come to Winnipeg one day, or something similar.
I cannot see three hockey teams working in a market as small as Winnipeg. I still think the Moose will be gone if the WHL lands a team here.

Reactions: sipowicz

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
It sounds like the overall project will provide the owners with some dollars and not simply the ticket sales of a WHL hockey team. That should help them be viable long term.

The benefits from having the Moose nearby for the Jets has to be positive, and potentially playing games at the new facility could work well for that group too.

Interesting that the Blues are part of the package.

MJHL, WHL, AHL, and NHL. Just missing a professional female hockey team to play out of this new facility.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
How amazing would it be if all three did end up coexisting though?

I think that would be pretty cool

Moose can't draw flies nowadays the 7500 fans for Moose games is now 2800 really don't think anyone is getting excited for the WHL and an even lower level of hockey, Gen X and Millennials aren't interested in anything but the real thing, NHL! IMO

It's too bad Canada didn't jump into college hockey big time thirty years ago like the US did, US college hockey is killing the CHL right now! Hockey Canada is asleep at the wheel more worried about the kind of suit a teenager wears to the rink than skills and development!

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Moose can't draw flies nowadays the 7500 fans for Moose games is now 2800 really don't think anyone is getting excited for the WHL and an even lower level of hockey, Gen X and Millennials aren't interested in anything but the real thing, NHL! IMO

It's too bad Canada didn't jump into college hockey big time thirty years ago like the US did, US college hockey is killing the CHL right now!

The question is if they are losing money? 2800 is pretty poor, but is it a net negative for TNSE? Ive read conflicting statements on that. There must be a good benefit to having them in the same house and perhaps cost savings in that regard offset by the tickets. Theres the further question of corporate support, as long as that is supplying enough business for the Moose I don't see the ticket sales as worrisome overall, despite the drop that is 7500 to 2800

Is there core market that would go out to WHL games? I'd like to experience it once, but otherwise I have no interest in the WHL, and the AHL is only something I enjoy from a Jets prospects perspective. My sports time is invested in the Jets and in other leagues or teams that I enjoy following in different sports.

I am sure though, that of the core hockey community there would be plenty who are WHL fans but no interest in the AHL. I have come across a few people who fall into that category.

How many tickets do the Moose need to stay afloat? And how many tickets do the WHL need? Within an hours drive of Winnipeg there's about a million people, and the location of the WHL facility and team will be better suited for perimeter highway access as opposed to going downtown. WHL tickets may also be cheaper than AHL, enough for another separate market to develop.

I don't know any of this, I am just wondering if there's the possibility that all three could realistically work

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

It's too bad Canada didn't jump into college hockey big time thirty years ago like the US did, US college hockey is killing the CHL right now! Hockey Canada is asleep at the wheel more worried about the kind of suit a teenager wears to the rink than skills and development!
image_att_graph.php

Not 2800 yet according to Hockey DB, but definitely dropping. The question would be, is it dropping because the team is just for developing players and not really caring about winning ( like when the Moose 1.0 were here ) or is it dropping because of the Jets? And would it drop further if the WHL is here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad