OT: Winnipeg Ice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
This might be a dumb question - but - What about the Ticketmaster taxes? They are quite significant when buying single seats. Would you not save all of those if you bought STs? That would apply to Jets, Moose and Ice, presumably.

Sigh. I remember a time when the ticket price was the ticket price. You walked up to a box office and bought whatever tickets you wanted and the price you paid was printed on the ticket. :laugh:

Luddite! :laugh:

If they're smart, and want to make this as affordable as possible, they will setup their own ticket site (like many arts organizations do) and avoid the TM fees. But hire someone that actually knows how to setup a ticket site (unlike many arts organizations).

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Grand Forks loves and supports UND hockey why would they want to support anything else and how could they with 90K, Fargo is more interested in college sports as well with three universities and all their teams, USHL also does well in Fargo.
It's surprising easy to get a ticket to a UND game. Can't see them sharing a building with an AHL team

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Luddite! :laugh:

If they're smart, and want to make this as affordable as possible, they will setup their own ticket site (like many arts organizations do) and avoid the TM fees. But hire someone that actually knows how to setup a ticket site (unlike many arts organizations).

The Warriors use Ticket Rocket. Definitely more straight forward with pricing than Ticket Master but also a lot more buggy. Sometimes it's tough to get into the site for big games if it's flooded with traffic.

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
72 MB kids on WHL rosters but only one team in the province doesn't make sense to me. The Ice just traded for a MB-born defenseman today and already had 3 MB kids on regular roster. Ice drafted 3 MB kids last year and Draftgeeks is projecting them to take a few more this year. The team's preference for MB talent is becoming obvious.
Personally, I'd like to see someone other than TNSE get a piece of the pie in Manitoba's hockey entertainment market.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
72 MB kids on WHL rosters but only one team in the province doesn't make sense to me. The Ice just traded for a MB-born defenseman today and already had 3 MB kids on regular roster. Ice drafted 3 MB kids last year and Draftgeeks is projecting them to take a few more this year. The team's preference for MB talent is becoming obvious.
Personally, I'd like to see someone other than TNSE get a piece of the pie in Manitoba's hockey entertainment market.

At the risk of casting aspersions on this province's hockey programs, I don't think focusing on Manitoba talent is the way to a Memorial Cup. Sure, we produce a few good ones but the focus should always be on acquiring the best players, not the closest ones.

Just did a little digging on the kid they just got, Marco Creta. I know his parents peripherally, more so his mom, from my working days. Small world. Maybe I can get some insider info. ;)

Reactions: wgpsensfan

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
So is the arena for these guys going to be on McGillivray across IKEA where they had the Cavalia tent? I've heard rumors of both locations. South end makes sense though because that's where the money is in Winnipeg.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
So is the arena for these guys going to be on McGillivray across IKEA where they had the Cavalia tent? I've heard rumors of both locations. South end makes sense though because that's where the money is in Winnipeg.

I thought it was going to be where Rink Hockey Academy is on Lowson Cres.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Interesting that the Wheat Kings chose the Kootenay Ice for Winnipeg Blue Bombers Night.

Ibanezrokr

Mar 22, 2018

...thats not mcgillivary. thats kenaston.

There maybe a lot of money in the south end, but a lot it is of a demographic that may not be super into hockey. I personally am all for it. It works for me for my own agenda, but admit the demographic that would support it may be elsewhere. People looking to spend 20-30$ on good quality hockey rather than those willing to buy jets tickets.

I will personally make sure i catch an Selects game.

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
At the risk of casting aspersions on this province's hockey programs, I don't think focusing on Manitoba talent is the way to a Memorial Cup. Sure, we produce a few good ones but the focus should always be on acquiring the best players, not the closest ones.
I was about to fully agree with you until I had a quick look at the BWK 1996 and 2016 playoff rosters and saw that 17 and 13 MB players helped them to WHL championships respectively. Local talent often earns its way onto local teams during tryouts.
But I think for the Ice it is just good politics to acquire MB talent if they intend to move. And, like it or not, it brings out the fans.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
...thats not mcgillivary. thats kenaston.

There maybe a lot of money in the south end, but a lot it is of a demographic that may not be super into hockey. I personally am all for it. It works for me for my own agenda, but admit the demographic that would support it may be elsewhere. People looking to spend 20-30$ on good quality hockey rather than those willing to buy jets tickets.

I will personally make sure i catch an Selects game.
I mean to say "on McGillivray or across IKEA"

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The rumour is that the Rink is building a new arena on McGillivray somewhere West of Kenaston.

This article puts it in the South Landing industrial area.
Kootenay Ice move to Manitoba not confirmed, but looking more likely

"Upon relocation, the Ice are expected to use the cramped quarters at the University of Manitoba's aging Wayne Fleming Arena as a new home for up to two seasons while a new arena, seating between 4,500 and 5,000 spectators, is constructed on a parcel of land next to The Rink Academy's new digs on South Landing, near the corner of McGillivray Boulevard and Loudoun Road".

Seems pretty far removed from other attractions, like bars and restaurants. Like, who says to their family, "hey, how about we head out to an industrial park for the evening?" :sarcasm:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Yeah, location sucks imo.
But I understand. Land is more expensive closer to the core. It'll be easy to get to from R90 or the perimeter.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
This article puts it in the South Landing industrial area.
Kootenay Ice move to Manitoba not confirmed, but looking more likely

"Upon relocation, the Ice are expected to use the cramped quarters at the University of Manitoba's aging Wayne Fleming Arena as a new home for up to two seasons while a new arena, seating between 4,500 and 5,000 spectators, is constructed on a parcel of land next to The Rink Academy's new digs on South Landing, near the corner of McGillivray Boulevard and Loudoun Road".

Seems pretty far removed from other attractions, like bars and restaurants. Like, who says to their family, "hey, how about we head out to an industrial park for the evening?" :sarcasm:
Exactly. Not to mention basically only two ways in and out, traffic could be a nightmare. Not sure what kind of fan amenities the facility will have either. I just can't see Winnipeg supporting 3 teams under these conditions. The Moose are down about 2,000 a game from 3 years ago. The Blues and Bisons draw friends and family. It's a Jets town and that's ok.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Kootenay Ice announcement on future ‘very soon’: WHL commissioner - The Columbia Valley Pioneer

From just before Christmas...

“We’re going through a process and I think we’ve been very patient, first of all, with the Kootenay market previously with the Chynoweth ownership, which had some difficulty,” Robison told TSN 1260.

“It’s been well publicized over the years and I think the new ownership has come in and done exactly what we wanted them to do, which was commit to that market and to make every effort to get things turned around.

“We’ll be going through an exercise here as we indicated and we’ll be very soon making an announcement as to what the future of that franchise is. But I think that we got to be very conscious of the fact that there’s been some great support in Kootenay over the years and the ownership have done what they can do to try and turn things round.”

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018

Just did a little digging on the kid they just got, Marco Creta. I know his parents peripherally, more so his mom, from my working days. Small world. Maybe I can get some insider info. ;)
Agreed. Find the best if you want to win. While the last Memorial Cup team had Nolan Patrick and Jayce Hawerluk on it, the best players on that team came from everywhere Tim McCaulley, Reid Duke, McCoy Erkamps, Ivan Provorov, John Quenville, Cale Klague.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If the new arena gets built and WHL comes back, Winnipeg should totally host the WJC. Maybe some exhibition games in Brandon, Grand Forks and Fargo.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Exactly. Not to mention basically only two ways in and out, traffic could be a nightmare. Not sure what kind of fan amenities the facility will have either. I just can't see Winnipeg supporting 3 teams under these conditions. The Moose are down about 2,000 a game from 3 years ago. The Blues and Bisons draw friends and family. It's a Jets town and that's ok.
Just catch a bus out to the corner of Columbia and McGillivray and it's a quick 4 km walk to Loudon Road... :sarcasm:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just catch a bus out to the corner of Columbia and McGillivray and it's a quick 4 km walk to Loudon Road... :sarcasm:

:laugh:
I'd be really surprised if they actually build it there.

Build it and they will come - not.

DuckyChuck

May 6, 2015
100% pure speculation, like grade A Colombian pure, BUT I work very close to the 24/7 In Touch facility on St.James by the old arena spot and over the past couple of days there has been a ton of activity on the empty lots where the old arena used to sit, drilling core samples and such.

I wouldn't be surprised if the owner of 24/7 In touch/Kooteney ice is eyeing up the spot. I can't imagine there being any interest in more retail space, again this is 100% pure speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad