OT: Winnipeg Ice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Saskatoon would be ideal for an AHL team. You would be able to grow the Jets fan base there and provide the market with something they simply don't have. Building is ready and is a paltry 45 minute flight.
I think it's a couple of hours to Saskatoon - they fly slower turboprops back and forth (Dash-8s, Q400s).

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Well, people drive from Winnipeg to go see the Brandon Wheatkings games often so that is a soft theory at best.

I'm one of those people that makes regular drives to go see the Wheat Kings play (7-8 times a season, I'd go more often but it depends on the roads). I'd be getting season tickets if the WHL was here or in Selkirk. And I don't spend money on NHL/AHL games anymore so TN isn't losing any revenue. I'm likely in a very small minority though.

Reactions: Jet

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Something else that seems to be getting glossed over - BMTSP is a 15k seat facility. 40+ dates averaging about 5k attendance is woefully under-utilizing that facility on those dates. It isn't like the Moose were using the facility to its best advantage for those dates.

You are assuming Winnipeg will see a substantial increase in concerts should the Moose leave and 36 dates open up? There is a lot more to attracting big concert acts than available arena dates.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Well, people drive from Winnipeg to go see the Brandon Wheatkings games often so that is a soft theory at best.

The number of people traveling from Winnipeg to Brandon would be insignificant though. I bet on average over the 36 home games it works out to a 100 per game if that. For weekday games, very few will travel 2.5 hours to see a WHL game.

Steinbach will have to depend on their local population and the immediate surrounding population (say 10 minute drive from arena) for their ticket base. That's probably 25 - 30,000 people at most. Too small for a team at this time, but it might be an intriguing location 15 - 20 years from now should the area continue seeing explosive population growth.

Reactions: sipowicz

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Owners of the WHL’s Kootenay Ice are believed to be considering a plan to move their franchise to Winnipeg in time for the start of the 2019-20 season, sources have told the Free Press.

Winnipeg-based majority owner Greg Fettes and minority partner Matt Cockell, who also serves as Ice president and general manager, purchased the team in the summer of 2017 and have operated the Cranbrook, B.C.-based club since that time.

The Kootenay franchise, fifth in the Central Division with a record of 3-4-1-1 heading into Friday’s action, has been struggling to attract fans in recent seasons, and the WHL has been eyeing a return to the Winnipeg marketplace for the first time in more than 30 years, league sources say.

It is believed a new 5,000-seat facility would then be built in conjunction with the Rink Hockey Academy’s new training facility currently under construction at the west end of South Landing, just off McGillivray Boulevard. The facility is scheduled to be ready for use next spring.

Winnipeg could Ice another team

This article is behind a paywall, but, can be seen on twitter.

talk about over saturation batman

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I'm one of those people that makes regular drives to go see the Wheat Kings play (7-8 times a season, I'd go more often but it depends on the roads). I'd be getting season tickets if the WHL was here or in Selkirk. And I don't spend money on NHL/AHL games anymore so TN isn't losing any revenue. I'm likely in a very small minority though.
You would be about one in 20.

bogostick

Jun 13, 2014

I'd be in the same boat. I don't get to many jets games as it always turns into an expensive night. I would probably get at least half season tickets to a whl team here or in Selkirk. What would the cost per ticket be? $15?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's all relative. It's not possible to sell 15,000 tickets every night of the year. In a city this size it's impossible to even do 1/3 of that.

Nobody is suggesting that all of those 45 dates need to be filled, or even close. What I am referring to is one small piece of the picture. When BMTSP is in use it needs to have a lot more than 5,000 people in it.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The Ice just traded a couple vets for a pile of younger players and picks. The pile included a 2019 1st and a MB kid from Ile Des Chenes.

ICE complete major trade with Rebels; acquire two players, two prospects, five draft picks in exchange for Hausinger, Davis – Kootenay Ice

It seems like the Ice are building a team heavy with MB content (consider their picks in the 2018 draft). The Jets did a similar thing when they moved here and brought in guys with Moose experience.

Looks like the ICE are tanking for the first overall pick next year. Great, another bottom feeder coming to town. And what's with the all-caps name? Are we supposed to shout the name when we say it? Or is it an acronym, like Incompetence Comes Easily? :laugh:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Looks like the ICE are tanking for the first overall pick next year. Great, another bottom feeder coming to town. And what's with the all-caps name? Are we supposed to shout the name when we say it? Or is it an acronym, like Incompetence Comes Easily? :laugh:

Given the current prevalence of meth and related crime in Winnipeg a name change might be a good start. Sort of like "Washington Bullets."

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You are assuming Winnipeg will see a substantial increase in concerts should the Moose leave and 36 dates open up? There is a lot more to attracting big concert acts than available arena dates.

Are you in the area of concert promotions?

I know when I worked for media outlets in Winnipeg we lost out on several big concerts because they could not fit a Winnipeg stop into their tour due to building availability.

Not everyone wants to come here but Winnipeg has a surrounding population of over a million people and a very diverse population.

At the end of the day, I will go back to what I originally said: The Jets and the Ice ownership have an extremely close relationship. Whatever TN decides to do with the Moose they have partnered with the Ice to welcome the WHL into Winnipeg.

I still think as a business case, the Moose moving makes the most sense for TN, and they may have already been on their way out.

Reactions: Guardian17

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Not sure how familiar you are with Major Junior hockey, but this is fairly common. With the quick development cycles of junior teams it's common to reload quickly with picks and prospects because championship windows are so tight.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Not sure how familiar you are with Major Junior hockey, but this is fairly common. With the quick development cycles of junior teams it's common to reload quickly with picks and prospects because championship windows are so tight.

Yeah it looks like Matthew Savoie applied for exceptional status in the WHL which, if he gets it, means he can play his entire 15/16 year old season. He's pretty much guaranteed to go first overall at this point. Both the Ice and the Blazers seem to be tanking now trading away vets for futures.

The WHL has a draft lottery for the bottom 6 teams. The caveat is that there is only 1 winner of this lottery out of the 6 teams and they can only move up 2 spots. So I think from here on out we will see a race to the bottom 3.
Swift Current is in last place but their pick belongs to Prince George. Regina is in 2nd last place but their pick belongs to Saskatoon, the Ice currently sit in 3rd last place and have their pick. I think Regina is going to maintain as they likely don't want to give Saskatoon a chance at Savoie. Seattle and Calgary seem undecided at this point as to what direction they are going. It's going to be a chore to out tank Swift Current who isn't even doing it on purpose they just really suck.

I'm not sure what their plan is but rumour is they might move Krebs. They have a really solid winger on the team in Connor McClennon who has 12 points in 19 games as a rookie. And a potential franchise RD in Carson Lambos who is PPG as a 15 year old playing in Rinks U18 program. I personally think they should keep Krebs but they could easily get a boatload for him as he may only have 1 more season left in Junior after this year.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yeah it looks like Matthew Savoie applied for exceptional status in the WHL which, if he gets it, means he can play his entire 15/16 year old season. He's pretty much guaranteed to go first overall at this point. Both the Ice and the Blazers seem to be tanking now trading away vets for futures.

The WHL has a draft lottery for the bottom 6 teams. The caveat is that there is only 1 winner of this lottery out of the 6 teams and they can only move up 2 spots. So I think from here on out we will see a race to the bottom 3.
Swift Current is in last place but their pick belongs to Prince George. Regina is in 2nd last place but their pick belongs to Saskatoon, the Ice currently sit in 3rd last place and have their pick. I think Regina is going to maintain as they likely don't want to give Saskatoon a chance at Savoie. Seattle and Calgary seem undecided at this point as to what direction they are going. It's going to be a chore to out tank Swift Current who isn't even doing it on purpose they just really suck.

I'm not sure what their plan is but rumour is they might move Krebs. They have a really solid winger on the team in Connor McClennon who has 12 points in 19 games as a rookie. And a potential franchise RD in Carson Lambos who is PPG as a 15 year old playing in Rinks U18 program. I personally think they should keep Krebs but they could easily get a boatload for him as he may only have 1 more season left in Junior after this year.
You make me excited about Major Junior hockey, Dax!

I have always been a casual observer but I think I will start following in earnest when the Ice move (I know, even though I am in Florida :) )

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You make me excited about Major Junior hockey, Dax!

I have always been a casual observer but I think I will start following in earnest when the Ice move (I know, even though I am in Florida :) )

Major Junior hockey is a tonne of fun to follow. Mostly because of how quickly the dynamic changes. Teams tend to have 1-2 year windows at most where they can do some damage. When the window is open they load up on 18-20 year olds by trading away futures and when the window closes they trade 18-20 year olds for futures. Some teams hit it big like Swift Current did last year, but they pretty much sold off the entire farm to do it and don't have any 1st round picks in 2019, 2020 or 2021. Which means they are in for a longer rebuild than most.

With the advent of streaming you can buy packages for teams now and watch every single game. A full season pass is a bit pricey but team passes are around $200 for 68 games + playoffs. Or you can just pick and choose which games you want to watch. I do that with the Warriors, I really only watch when they play good teams away and have season tickets for home games.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Thanks for this.

With the Ice potentially moving to Winnipeg, I'll start paying more attention to them and the WHL.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I am really curious if they Grant Savoie exceptional status, they kind of have to though otherwise they risk losing him.

Would be something if the Ice get him though. Outside that the 2004 group from Winnipeg is pretty weak. Carter Anderson from RHA and Dakota MacIntosh are probably the 2 best. Outside Winnipeg though Connor Geekie is going to go high and Denton Mateychuk from Eastman should be a 1st rounder too. The Ice have 2 1st round picks and the 2nd one will be a late one.

Also they traded for local boy Jack Cowell from Kelowna. Cowell was playing in the Winnipeg High School league when he got signed.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I am really curious if they Grant Savoie exceptional status, they kind of have to though otherwise they risk losing him.

Would be something if the Ice get him though. Outside that the 2004 group from Winnipeg is pretty weak. Carter Anderson from RHA and Dakota MacIntosh are probably the 2 best. Outside Winnipeg though Connor Geekie is going to go high and Denton Mateychuk from Eastman should be a 1st rounder too. The Ice have 2 1st round picks and the 2nd one will be a late one.

Also they traded for local boy Jack Cowell from Kelowna. Cowell was playing in the Winnipeg High School league when he got signed.

Yeah it would be something if they land Savoie. I think he's pretty much a lock to get it as is Shane Wright in Ontario who also applied. He applied to play in the AJHL with his brother a year early but was denied by Hockey Canada. I think they don't want to risk losing him to College as he was offered a full scholarship to Denver where his brother is headed. They pretty much said it's WHL or nothing.

Word is the Ice want to move Krebs as well before the deadline. He will garner a tonne of interest. I think PA will be in on him as they are having a historic season and adding Krebs as their 2nd line C and on their PP would be a massive boost to an already stacked team. If PA is in on him I'd imagine Guhle will be the main piece coming back and with Lambos already in the system they could have a ridiculously strong top pairing of Guhle - Lambos. If they land Savoie he will undoubtedly play with Connor McClennon. Those 4 could form a big contender in the WHL. I think the Ice will tank from here on out and hope stay in the bottom 3 and get some lottery luck. Though Kamloops is also tanking now and Swift and Regina are just bad.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Swifty and Regina don't even own their first round pick, PG and Saskatoon do. Wonder if by some "miracle" the Ice win the lotto this year. The consolation prizes though are pretty good the 2004 group is pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad