OT: Winnipeg ICE 2021-2022 [ICE @ Brandon Fri Dec 17]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
If anyone was going to get drafted this year, it was going to be McClennon. Quick, good hands, good playmaking ability. His collarbone injury which kept him out most of the 2020 games hurt his draft stock as it reduced his numbers and his visibility... otherwise I could have seen him going in the 4th. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people.

Owen Pederson and Ben Zloty were the other prospects whose names didn't get called, but I would imagine that if they have good seasons they will end up signing somewhere much like Isaac Johnson did who was undrafted but signed with the Moose on the strength of a great 2019-20 season.

For what it's worth, the ICE had a first rounder last year (Krebs) and probably will again next year (Lambos).

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Conor Geekie is going to be playing for the Virden Oil Capitals to start the year

I think Conor will prove to be the best out of all the ICE's current roster players and protected list players when everything is all said and done in a few years. He just has all the right attributes both on and off the ice.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
What the heck? Someone actually picked an ICE.

I saw one Ice game last year and came away super impressed with McLennon. Small but does not play small. Good hands. Was very involved in the post whistle scrums and didn't back down from anyone. Obviously, tiny sample size, but I like this player, glad he got picked.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The WHL announced a return to play on January 8. Teams will play a regular season within their own divisions (although Swift Current will be moved to the east to keep them together with the other SK teams).

No info re: schedule or even number of games yet. No info regarding fans in the stands either.

Personally I find this encouraging, although I kind of wish it wasn't so far off. Apparently the WJHC in Edmonton may be a factor in the timing? I think 40 games has to be the practical max number of games with a season starting so late.

Also, I really hope that they allow fans in the building in MB. I mean, if the MJHL can have 250+ fans at The Rink, I don't see how the ICE couldn't safely accommodate at least 500 fans at Wayne Fleming. I would think the other teams could easily do 1,000+ and the ones with big NHL/NBA rinks could do at least a couple thousand.

Personally I'm chomping at the bit to go watch games, but it sure will be a repetitive season with the same six opponents over and over again.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
The WHL announced a return to play on January 8. Teams will play a regular season within their own divisions (although Swift Current will be moved to the east to keep them together with the other SK teams).

No info re: schedule or even number of games yet. No info regarding fans in the stands either.

Personally I find this encouraging, although I kind of wish it wasn't so far off. Apparently the WJHC in Edmonton may be a factor in the timing? I think 40 games has to be the practical max number of games with a season starting so late.

Also, I really hope that they allow fans in the building in MB. I mean, if the MJHL can have 250+ fans at The Rink, I don't see how the ICE couldn't safely accommodate at least 500 fans at Wayne Fleming. I would think the other teams could easily do 1,000+ and the ones with big NHL/NBA rinks could do at least a couple thousand.

Personally I'm chomping at the bit to go watch games, but it sure will be a repetitive season with the same six opponents over and over again.

Reactions: nhlpro

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
ICE announce that it's highly likely that only STHs (i.e., access pass holders) will be able to attend games this year.

I definitely want to go to some games but I can't make enough of them to justify buying access passes... I'm hoping there will be a bit of a resale market. Or maybe I'll just break down and buy access passes...

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
What the heck? Someone actually picked an ICE.

Just some background on Connor McClennan. The only surprising thing about the draft is how LOW he went. We was one of only 12F from all of Canada selected for the prestigious Hlinka Gretzky U18 Tournament (same team as Cole Perfetti, Quintin Byfield, Jamie Drysdale, Seth Jarvis, Guhle, etc, etc, etc). This is the most important tournament for draft eligible Canadians and the mere fact he made the team shows his talent level. Also, he was a 2nd overall pick in the WHL Bantam Draft! He was tied with Seth Jarvis for points per game in the WHL amongst draft eligible players up until he separated in collarbone. He's very small and light weight, so that also hurt his stock.

The term "a steal" is way overused in the NHL entry draft - but he has a (small) chance at becoming one of those "Braydin Point" / "Tyler Johnson" / "Gaudreau" type stories ... 160 lbs, pure skill player, passed over due to injury and size on draft day.

Honestly, if you go to an Ice game, pay attention to him (McClennon 94). What he was doing on the ice as a 17 year old last year was impressive, especially considering his 5'7 150 lbs size (last year)

Connor McClennon at eliteprospects.com

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Honestly, if you go to an Ice game, pay attention to him (McClennon 94). What he was doing on the ice as a 17 year old last year was impressive, especially considering his 5'7 150 lbs size (last year)

Connor McClennon at eliteprospects.com

My first ICE game was the one vs. Brandon where he got a hat trick. That game was a whirlwind of action with a lot going on everywhere, but I definitely paid attention to him after that. Unfortunately his season basically ended soon after that with the collarbone injury.

What you said is pretty consistent with what a lot of observers said, i.e. that his smaller stature and significant injury played a big part in him being drafted when he was. But at the same time, McClennon plays bigger than he is, he's not a shrinking violet from what I saw.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Lambos top 5 pick in 2021??? Playing in Finland this year

That caught my eye too. Last season he was generally regarded as being well on his way to becoming a first rounder, so I suppose there's no reason why with a good season he couldn't have a crack at the top 5. The Ice fly below the radar in this city, but there is a lot of high end talent there, Lambos being a case in point.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Awesome...enjoy ICE games.
Has there been any news regarding their new arena?
Once they do get a decent arena I would seriously think about getting a half season package for the family..

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Awesome...enjoy ICE games.
Has there been any news regarding their new arena?
Once they do get a decent arena I would seriously think about getting a half season package for the family..

Havn't heard anything about the new arena since the pandemic hit.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
There was a news article about it back in the summer:

Is this the article?

Fettes said the ownership group, which also includes Ice president and general manager Matt Cockell, will need at least two years to build a new arena. Since construction has yet to begin, the team will need to spend an additional year at the U of M.

Now, the earliest the Ice will be playing in its new home would be the start of the 2022-23 season.

Ice's shift to new arena pushed back

No news on it since then, though. Kind of wish 50 Below would drop a tidbit of news just to give us some indication of what's going on.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
There's a bit of charm in watching an entertainment product that is way too good for it's venue.
I have no issue watching games in less than stellar venues..and agree there is a certain old time hockey feel there... then again I grew up watching The Miami Rockets play in the Miami Arena...in the old Senior Men’s hockey league...that would be Miami...Manitoba.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I have no issue watching games in less than stellar venues..and agree there is a certain old time hockey feel there... then again I grew up watching The Miami Rockets play in the Miami Arena...in the old Senior Men’s hockey league...that would be Miami...Manitoba.

I wonder if there are still feelings of bitterness amongst those that won that infamous trip to watch the Super Bowl in Miami. Talk about sore "winners". :laugh:

Reactions: Buffdog and Wolf357

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
I wonder if there are still feelings of bitterness amongst those that won that infamous trip to watch the Super Bowl in Miami. Talk about sore "winners". :laugh:
I was actually at the bar “The Chatterbox” that day...and there was about 50% that thought it funny, 25% were just confused, and 25% right ticked off...

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
There's a story on the ICE website that says of three players to attend NHL training camp (Krebs, Teply, Barteaux), two (Krebs, Teply) have been assigned to the AHL.

Would they come back to Winnipeg if the WHL gets going, even if it's just the abridged 24 game schedule that is supposedly going to start next month? Or are they staying in Henderson and Rockford this year?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
City of Cranbrook filed a lawsuit against the Winnipeg ICE and the WHL for breaking their arena lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad