OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2019 Off Season Thread

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So not much to talk about after that.

No real stand outs to me outside of #16 Mike Jones. Had some good burst on returns along with some solid defensive plays. It's not a name I've heard much throughout camp but I think he played himself into the conversation tonight.

Whitehead was not noticably better on returns than Nelson but Nelson appears to be a better offensive player. Should make for some interesting decisions. I can't comment on OL, but OL is tied to WR position in terms of national/international. No WR really stood out, but with how frequent the changes were in the offense it's not surprising. Oliveira was ok in his rushes.

On defense again I didn't notice much in the way of standouts. #91 Alex McAlister was the only one I really noticed with the sack and couple other hurries. Watching live it's hard to judge DB's since if you don't notice them that's usually great. Can't say I noticed either Derek Jones or Jeff Hecht at S so no comment on that battle. They completely shuttered the EDM run game, but it's hard to say if that was great front 7 work or just EDM backup poor play.

Didn't notice any of the global contenders except of course the Mexican kicker/punter. To me it looked like a guy used to kicking a round soccer ball rather than a football. He is not above the level of an average college punter/kicker, can't see how he would in any way make the roster. Getting a value guy out of that global spot would be a huge plus, but it looks like it'll be just bad special teamer German guy who gets the spot. Gotta figure some team is going to get a Josh Bartel (who is Australian but recently got National Status) type guy out of that global spot but it won't be the Bombers this year.

At QB I don't think the new guy McGuire did enough to supplant Bennett for #3 spot considering Bennett's status as holder and STer. Didn't see much out of him, but with the way they rotated that offense I wouldn't expect to.

Overall I would say I am confused by O'Shea's strategy for the game. The only thing I can think of is he wanted to see how guys would react to everchanging scenarios and personnel, but it didn't allow any player to gain any rhythm to showcase their skills. We'll see how it goes going forward.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yikes.

Probably serious cash flow issues with the Wetenhall ownership group, as in not even enough to make payroll. That’s the only thing I can think of.

The Als ownerships group stopped paying the bills before last season last I heard. The CFL has in effect been running the team since then (including footing the bills and losses) but kept the name just for sake of trying to sell the team. It appears the CFL has given up the charade now. Doesn't change anything.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I see the CFL has taken ownership of the Alouettes.

This could spell trouble for the league. We know that Montreal and Ottawa have already lost their teams in the past and Toronto continues to draw flies. Should the attendance in Montreal continue to drop due to fan apathy, it poses a problem in trying to attract new ownership willing to take a risk as they may consider it a money losing venture. If the Montreal franchise goes down for the count again, it's quite possible the owners of the Argos will be less interested in continuing to operate a team in Toronto knowing that there just isn't much interest from the general population in that city.

The current state of affairs could also have an impact on any potential team in Atlantic Canada. Would anyone really want to own a team there if things aren't looking good in Montreal and Toronto? Would any government be willing to fund construction of a stadium for a team in a league facing such potential problems. I know that Ottawa has been doing alright since the CFL returned to that city but would things change if both Montreal and Toronto were to drop out of the league?

The strength of the CFL really lies with the teams in the west. I do wonder about the long-term stability of the CFL overall. From a western perspective things appear to be good as the stands are full for the most part. However, is there a danger that fan support will start to wane in the west if things continue to deteriorate in the east? I didn't intend to sound alarmist about everything related to the CFL but I have wondered for a while now since there hasn't been much interest in the league from the fans in Toronto and now the fan interest is declining in Montreal as well. I have wondered if anyone else shares these concerns about the league as well or if the majority of fans are more optimistic about the future of the CFL.

:jets

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Yikes.

Probably serious cash flow issues with the Wetenhall ownership group, as in not even enough to make payroll. That’s the only thing I can think of.

CFL in tough in the three biggest markets where the MLS is eating the CFL alive, maybe Halifax and QC makes more sense that Montreal and Toronto!

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
So not much to talk about after that.

No real stand outs to me outside of #16 Mike Jones. Had some good burst on returns along with some solid defensive plays. It's not a name I've heard much throughout camp but I think he played himself into the conversation tonight.

Whitehead was not noticably better on returns than Nelson but Nelson appears to be a better offensive player. Should make for some interesting decisions. I can't comment on OL, but OL is tied to WR position in terms of national/international. No WR really stood out, but with how frequent the changes were in the offense it's not surprising. Oliveira was ok in his rushes.

On defense again I didn't notice much in the way of standouts. #91 Alex McAlister was the only one I really noticed with the sack and couple other hurries. Watching live it's hard to judge DB's since if you don't notice them that's usually great. Can't say I noticed either Derek Jones or Jeff Hecht at S so no comment on that battle. They completely shuttered the EDM run game, but it's hard to say if that was great front 7 work or just EDM backup poor play.

Didn't notice any of the global contenders except of course the Mexican kicker/punter. To me it looked like a guy used to kicking a round soccer ball rather than a football. He is not above the level of an average college punter/kicker, can't see how he would in any way make the roster. Getting a value guy out of that global spot would be a huge plus, but it looks like it'll be just bad special teamer German guy who gets the spot. Gotta figure some team is going to get a Josh Bartel (who is Australian but recently got National Status) type guy out of that global spot but it won't be the Bombers this year.

At QB I don't think the new guy McGuire did enough to supplant Bennett for #3 spot considering Bennett's status as holder and STer. Didn't see much out of him, but with the way they rotated that offense I wouldn't expect to.

Overall I would say I am confused by O'Shea's strategy for the game. The only thing I can think of is he wanted to see how guys would react to everchanging scenarios and personnel, but it didn't allow any player to gain any rhythm to showcase their skills. We'll see how it goes going forward.

Thanks for the report!

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
This could spell trouble for the league. We know that Montreal and Ottawa have already lost their teams in the past and Toronto continues to draw flies. Should the attendance in Montreal continue to drop due to fan apathy, it poses a problem in trying to attract new ownership willing to take a risk as they may consider it a money losing venture. If the Montreal franchise goes down for the count again, it's quite possible the owners of the Argos will be less interested in continuing to operate a team in Toronto knowing that there just isn't much interest from the general population in that city.

The current state of affairs could also have an impact on any potential team in Atlantic Canada. Would anyone really want to own a team there if things aren't looking good in Montreal and Toronto? Would any government be willing to fund construction of a stadium for a team in a league facing such potential problems. I know that Ottawa has been doing alright since the CFL returned to that city but would things change if both Montreal and Toronto were to drop out of the league?

The strength of the CFL really lies with the teams in the west. I do wonder about the long-term stability of the CFL overall. From a western perspective things appear to be good as the stands are full for the most part. However, is there a danger that fan support will start to wane in the west if things continue to deteriorate in the east? I didn't intend to sound alarmist about everything related to the CFL but I have wondered for a while now since there hasn't been much interest in the league from the fans in Toronto and now the fan interest is declining in Montreal as well. I have wondered if anyone else shares these concerns about the league as well or if the majority of fans are more optimistic about the future of the CFL.

:jets
It's been this way for a very long time and i don't get it really . How can there not be 25,000 fans easily per game in Toronto and Montreal ? Millions of people to draw from and they can barely get 15,000 per game . My thinking is the people in Toronto and Montreal think the CFL is minor league and they are above going to support it , they think they are NFL cities

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
I know pessimism is the typical Bomber fan state of being but if you think it is bleak here, Ottawa just named Dominique Davis their starting QB. So hey it can always be worse.

I don’t know what’s more baffling, that news or the fact that Jonathan Jennings failed to handily win that camp battle for QB1.

He (Jennings) is quickly turning into Drew Willy 2.0

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I don’t know what’s more baffling, that news or the fact that Jonathan Jennings failed to handily win that camp battle for QB1.

He (Jennings) is quickly turning into Drew Willy 2.0

Maybe Davis is finally turning into a decent QB and they want to give him the opportunity. We'll see what happens this season.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
You choose now (of all times) to start being optimistic! :sarcasm:

It's actually thinly disguised pessimism. I'm saying the Bombers might have given up too soon on a good young QB who then goes on to be a starter elsewhere.

On that note, I don't expect Streveler back next year. If he doesn't make an NFL team, he will sign with a CFL club where he's got a legit shot at starting. I hope that puts an end to any talk of my being optimistic. :nod:

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Regarding Streveler. I have good sources within the Bombers organization who tell me that Bomber management have a big decision after this season when Streveler's contact is up and he becomes a free agent. Apparently there are a number of CFL teams lined up to pay him, and make him their starter. What's interesting is that Bombers management knows they will need to decide between Nichols and Streveler, and at this point in time, they are leaning towards keeping the younger QB...Streveler. But obviously a lot can change this season.

In my opinion, Streveler is great in his current role as short yardage and change of pace QB. But he is not cut out to be a starting QB in the CFL yet. His mid-range/deep ball accuracy is a concern.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Regarding Streveler. I have good sources within the Bombers organization who tell me that Bomber management have a big decision after this season when Streveler's contact is up and he becomes a free agent. Apparently there are a number of CFL teams lined up to pay him, and make him their starter. What's interesting is that Bombers management knows they will need to decide between Nichols and Streveler, and at this point in time, they are leaning towards keeping the younger QB...Streveler. But obviously a lot can change this season.

In my opinion, Streveler is great in his current role as short yardage and change of pace QB. But he is not cut out to be a starting QB in the CFL yet. His mid-range/deep ball accuracy is a concern.

And Nichols' accuracy isn't a concern? At least Streveler adds mobility into the tool box. The Bombers have to play him enough this season to show him he's the heir apparent or he's as good as gone. Might even be anyway.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
And Nichols' accuracy isn't a concern? At least Streveler adds mobility into the tool box. The Bombers have to play him enough this season to show him he's the heir apparent or he's as good as gone. Might even be anyway.
Nichols is no Mike Reilly but his accuracy is much better than Streveler.

Reactions: TS Quint

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

If they keep Nichols over Streveler, I’m gonna picket outside of IGF in protest.

Reactions: Jets 31

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I'm hearing the average ticket price for the NFL exhibition game at IG Field will be $200!:help::eek:

Announcement will be tomorrow. I hope that price is incorrect and it is at least $50 less. Pretty ridiculous for an exhibition game. Heck, it's not far off from the average ticket price for the Grey Cup.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
The only thing that definitely keeps Nichols as starting QB in Wpg is a GC win. Maybe a GC appearance but that shouldn't be enough.

Nichols is certainly a mid-low end QB in the CFL, but the guy can win in the right situation.

If he is absolute trash in playoffs again he has to be let go.

If he wins on the backs of the defense and ball-control he probably saves his job, but he really shouldn't.

Coaches (especially Lapo) are so risk-averse that he might be here for years yet.

Hopefully Streveler works on his deep ball and pocket presence. He still has lots to learn. Personally I'm hopeful he usurps Nichols in 2020

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
The only thing that definitely keeps Nichols as starting QB in Wpg is a GC win. Maybe a GC appearance but that shouldn't be enough.

Nichols is certainly a mid-low end QB in the CFL, but the guy can win in the right situation.

If he wins on the backs of the defense and ball-control he probably saves his job, but he really shouldn't.

Coaches (especially Lapo) are so risk-averse that he might be here for years yet.

Hopefully Streveler works on his deep ball and pocket presence. He still has lots to learn. Personally I'm hopeful he usurps Nichols in 2020
Streveler is a free agent after this season. Will be impossible to keep both Streveler an Nichols after this season.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

IMO, the problem is going to be keeping Chris Streveler until 2020. Look at what Taysom Hill has done in New Orleans. No doubt many teams are looking at him and thinking damn if we only we could have our own running QB that can throw and play in ridiculous number of situations. Chris Streveler is a younger and more talented guy in the same mold, IMO. Remember he played TE, RB, FB, WR in college as well. And he had NFL offers coming out of college but turned them down to sign with Bombers (Bombers basically guaranteed him a roster spot whereas the NFL offers had zero bonus money so he was just a camp body). Now Streveler, who finished his degree in 3 years, transferred to a smaller school because he loves to play QB but at certain point 600-900K as a 3rd string QB playing specific packages and ST time is hard to turn down compared to 200-500K with just a chance to start at QB.

Even if they name Streveler the uncontested starter it's going to be hard to hold onto him.

One thing I STRONGLY disagree with is this notion that O'Shea and Lapolice are scared to pull the trigger on a QB change. People forget, back in 2017 when the Bombers made the change from Willy to Nichols it was not a popular decision. Willy was finally healthy. Willy had shown lots of promise, whereas Nichols had gone 2-5 in starts the year before after being acquired after the Willy injury the year before. Nichols was an also ran no one wanted. The Bombers had started slow (1-4 iirc) but had had a real tough schedule and most were very surprised that O'Shea and co changed starting QB's so quick. O'Shea, Walters, and Lapolice are certainly "players coaches/GM" but they have NEVER shied away from a change they think will help the team. Not re-signing Denmark, pulling Willy, trading Bowman, when something isn't working they quickly rectify it.

We'll see how this year goes. I hate HATE "two QB" systems, but Streveler needs opportunity in the right situations. Mix and match in certain situations will keep defenses guessing. And Nichols is on a short lease no doubt. There's no question that Streveler has elite potential that Nichols does not have, but this team is in Grey Cup now mode and if Nichols can rekindle 2017 he should be the man right now. And I'm a Nichols "hater". But we have to see how this year goes before an recommendation going forward can be made. Remember both Nichols and Streveler are UFA at the end of the year, but how this year goes certainly decides how the Bombers play the off-season. And it's a LONG season.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
It seems the NFL is coming to Winnipeg. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers will hold a news conference at Investors Group Field on Wednesday. It's expected the CFL club will announce the Oakland Raiders and Green Bay Packers will play an exhibition game at the venue the third week in August.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl

Did we know this? Am I that out of the loop?

m.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
It seems the NFL is coming to Winnipeg. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers will hold a news conference at Investors Group Field on Wednesday. It's expected the CFL club will announce the Oakland Raiders and Green Bay Packers will play an exhibition game at the venue the third week in August.

m.

Yes, you are that out of the loop. :laugh:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

m.

Been known about for a few months now, this is just official confirmation. I REALLY want to attend but I'm waiting on pricing. Rumour is average price is 200$ which is quite frankly INSANE. If we can get a pair of tickets for 100$ I'm in.

Honestly the rumoured ticket prices scare me. I fear NFL teams will point to this as to how Canada won't support NFL games when if the rumoured prices are true it's cheaper to drive down to Minnesota, buy tickets to a regular season game, stay a night in hotel, then drive back than buy tickets to this exhibition game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad