OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2019 Off Season Thread

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Holden: You seem like a relatively knowledgeable Bomber folk. How do you see our opening day starting roster shaping up?

Ok I finally have time to answer this properly.

I post extensively on Bombers, I follow every transaction, I watch every game. But let's be clear here, I am from a hockey background, I watch football for fun as a fan, not analyzing like a coach like I would for hockey. So take what I saw with regards to systems/player evaluations/etc as is, I am just a fan. I often refer to my cousin for CFL schemes, etc since he head coaches a high school in the city (who actually had an alum in Bombers camp). I take alot of what I hear from Darrin Bauming, since I know Bauming a bit, hung out with him a few times and man does he EVER know his football.

Here's what I see working out right now.

Note: F indicates Field Side (wide side), B indicates boundary side (short side). Ie FWR is Field Wide Receiver, wide side, BWR is Boundary Wide Receiver (short side). ^=Global player, *=International (American) player

Starting Roster:
QB: Matt Nichols*
RB: Andrew Harris
FWR: Drew Wolitarsky
SB: Darvin Adams*
SB: Nic Demski
SB: Kenny Lawler*
BWR: Chris Matthews*
LT: Stanley Bryant*
LG: Patrick Neufeld
C: Michael Couture
RG: Cody Speller
RT: Jamarcus Hardwick*

DE: Willie Jefferson*
DT: Jake Thomas
DT: Drake Nevis*
DE: Jackson Jeffcoat*
SAM: Anthony Gaitor*
MLB: Adam Bighill*
WLB: Kyrie Wilson*
FCB: Chandler Fenner*
BCB: Winston Rose*
FHB: Brandon Alexander*
BHB: Marcus Sayles*
S: Jeff Hecht

Backups
QB: Chris Streveler*, Sean McGuire*
RB: Brady Olveira
FB: Mike Miller, John Rush
WR: Lucky Whitehead*, Rashad Bailey*, Daniel Petermann
LG: Geoff Gray
RG/C: Drew Desjarlais
RT/LT: Jamar McGloster*
DE: Craig Roh*
DT: Steven Richardson*
WLB/SAM: Jesse Briggs
MLB: Thomas Miles, Shayne Gauthier, DJ Lalama, Thiadric Hansen^
CB/HB/S: Derek Jones
S: Dexter Janke, Nick Hallett
K/P: Justin Medlock*
LS: Chad Rempel

1 Game IR: WR Charles Nelson*
6 Game IR: DE Jonathan Kongbo, DB Kerfalla Exume, LB Nick Temple*, DB Nick Hallet

PR:
RB Johnny Augustine
DE Patrick Choudja*
C/LG/RG Eli Asotui
DT Connor Griffiths
LB Manuel Hernandez-Reyes^
DB Chris Humes*
DB Mike Jones*
DB Marcus Rios*
DB Sergio Schiaffino Perez^
WR/SB Kenny Walker*
LB Dale Warren*

Lastly cut players I'd keep an eye out if there's an injury to re-appear:
QB Bryan Bennett*, DB Tyneil Cooper*, REC Dylan Schrot, DE Alex McAlister*, DL Tariq Lachance, DB Malik Boynton*, RB John Santiego*, DB Jacob Firlotte
Guys I expect to keep around somewhere else in league sometime this year or next:
DL Maxx Forde, DT Brandin Byrant,

I expect this to change even before game 1. Bombers are reportedly in on Anthony Coombs, which is will help with National depth at WR. Which they are desperate for. Right now the depth chart looks rather uneven with too many international WR, too many OL on roster, not enough depth at national WR and zero backups at DB and barely anything at DL. So I expect some changes to come yet.

One thing that can't be argued is that is this is a helluva deep team. Other than uncertainty due to inexperience at OL there's not a questionable position beyond QB. And in the CFL that's everything. The early season rides on whether Nichols is 2017 Nichols or 2018 Nichols. The late season rides on whether it's 2017 Nichols or Streveler is a true starting QB. QB is really the true question mark, let's see how this goes. I haven't felt this optimistic about a BB season to start the year since at least 2007 (2011 was a late season miracle).

EDIT: I'm also still not sure about new CBA roster rules. The published ones I've found have said it's a 46 man roster, with 21 nationals, 20 internationals, 3 quarterbacks, 1 global player. But that only adds to 45. So right now I'm just assuming that last spot can be an international. No mention of a "reserve/scratch" list like in the old CBA where you dressed 44 with a 46 man roster. Sounds like it's a 46 man active roster now, no scratches.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Last year it was a game day roster of 45 plus 2 game day inactives. This season it's a game day roster of 46 (45 + 1 global) and 1 game day inactive.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Last year it was a game day roster of 45 plus 2 game day inactives. This season it's a game day roster of 46 (45 + 1 global) and 1 game day inactive.

Pretty sure that's incorrect. It was 21 nationals (7 Starters minimum), 20 internationals, and 3 QBs on active roster. 44 man active roster. The two inactives could be international or national. This year I've not seen firm numbers, but we'll know this week when rosters are released.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Listening to Walters press conference from today.

Rashaud Simonise was asked to stick around on PR and he declined. Considering BC signed him to active roster less than a day later, it makes sense for Simonise. Walters even admitted he still has sky high potential. He won't talk about it, but it certainly sounds like a attitude/work ethic issue.

On Bennett Walters basically said they are going with the younger guy who has more upside in McGuire.

Walter feels our DL is the strongest position on the team. Love hearing that. A DL that plugs up and more importantly pressures the QB consistently is key in the CFL. Take ALOT of stress off the DB's. I've long said that mediocre DL's have cause WPG DB's to look far worse than they really are. Jefferson, IMO, is the first true elite pass rusher we've had since Odell Willis. Not suprisingly the last time we had a DB corps that was solid was when we had Willis.

Walters said they were looking to have a designated returner on the roster. It appears that Lucky Whitehead is that guy. But I think his training camp breakthrough combined with just so so camps from Lawler, Walker, Washington, Nelson means that Whitehead will be involved in the offense.

Walters spoke about importance of summer games. Looking at the Bombers schedule they open in BC who have basically a whole new roster (adjustment time needed), then at home against Edmonton (should win), then in Ottawa, home v Toronto, home v Ottawa it sets up like the Bombers should go 5-0 through mid July. At Hamilton in late July likely a good test, before @ Toronto in early August. Honestly it's possible this team is 7-0 going into a home date with Calgary on August 8th.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Listening to the Walters presser just confirmed what's going on. He said last year it was a 44 man active roster with 2 inactives. This it's a 45 man active roster with 1 inactive, but the change is that 45th is a global player. Basically they changed an inactive spot (national or international) to an active global spot.

Reactions: sipowicz

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Listening to the Walters presser just confirmed what's going on. He said last year it was a 44 man active roster with 2 inactives. This it's a 45 man active roster with 1 inactive, but the change is that 45th is a global player. Basically they changed an inactive spot (national or international) to an active global spot.
Which is exactly what I said.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Pretty sure that's incorrect. It was 21 nationals (7 Starters minimum), 20 internationals, and 3 QBs on active roster. 44 man active roster. The two inactives could be international or national. This year I've not seen firm numbers, but we'll know this week when rosters are released.
It's 100% correct.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Which is exactly what I said.

You said last year it was a 45 man active roster + 2 inactives. Last year it was a 44 man active roster + 2 inactives. This year it's a 45 man active roster + 1 inactive. You said 45+1 global for 46 man active roster + 1 inactive. Both years it's a 46 man roster whereas you said it was a 47 man roster both ways (you said last year 45 + 2, this year 46+1) So not exactly what you said.

No difference though, it's no big deal.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
You said last year it was a 45 man active roster. Last year it was a 44 man active roster. This year it's a 45 man active roster. Both years it's a 46 man roster. So not exactly what you said.

No difference though, it's no big deal.
That was an obvious typo on my part re last year. My point was on the new national roster spot this year which is 100% correct.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

I post extensively on Bombers, I follow every transaction, I watch every game. But let's be clear here, I am from a hockey background, I watch football for fun as a fan, not analyzing like a coach like I would for hockey. So take what I saw with regards to systems/player evaluations/etc as is, I am just a fan. I often refer to my cousin for CFL schemes, etc since he head coaches a high school in the city (who actually had an alum in Bombers camp). I take alot of what I hear from Darrin Bauming, since I know Bauming a bit, hung out with him a few times and man does he EVER know his football.

Note: F indicates Field Side (wide side), B indicates boundary side (short side). Ie FWR is Field Wide Receiver, wide side, BWR is Boundary Wide Receiver (short side). ^=Global player, *=International (American) player

Starting Roster:

Backups

6 Game IR: DE Jonathan Kongbo, DB Kerfalla Exume, LB Nick Temple*, DB Nick Hallet

PR:
RB Johnny Augustine
DE Patrick Choudja*
C/LG/RG Eli Asotui
DT Connor Griffiths
DB Chris Humes*
DB Mike Jones*
DB Marcus Rios*
WR/SB Kenny Walker*
LB Dale Warren*

QB Bryan Bennett*, DB Tyneil Cooper*, REC Dylan Schrot, DE Alex McAlister*, DL Tariq Lachance, DB Malik Boynton*, RB John Santiego*, DB Jacob Firlotte
Guys I expect to keep around somewhere else in league sometime this year or next:

I expect this to change even before game 1. Bombers are reportedly in on Anthony Coombs, which is will help with National depth at WR. Which they are desperate for. Right now the depth chart looks rather uneven with too many international WR, too many OL on roster, not enough depth at national WR and zero backups at DB and barely anything at DL. So I expect some changes to come yet.

One thing that can't be argued is that is this is a helluva deep team. Other than uncertainty due to inexperience at OL there's not a questionable position beyond QB. And in the CFL that's everything. The early season rides on whether Nichols is 2017 Nichols or 2018 Nichols. The late season rides on whether it's 2017 Nichols or Streveler is a true starting QB. QB is really the true question mark, let's see how this goes. I haven't felt this optimistic about a BB season to start the year since at least 2007 (2011 was a late season miracle).

EDIT: I'm also still not sure about new CBA roster rules. The published ones I've found have said it's a 46 man roster, with 21 nationals, 20 internationals, 3 quarterbacks, 1 global player. But that only adds to 45. So right now I'm just assuming that last spot can be an international. No mention of a "reserve/scratch" list like in the old CBA where you dressed 44 with a 46 man roster. Sounds like it's a 46 man active roster now, no scratches.

Great summary, especially since I haven't been paying attention in camp or preseason.
One immediate thing I noticed - obviously this is rough but do you see Wolitarsky going out wide over Adams? Matthews I assume is a lock for the other spot.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Starting Roster:

Backups

PR:
RB Johnny Augustine
DE Patrick Choudja*
C/LG/RG Eli Asotui
DT Connor Griffiths
DB Chris Humes*
DB Mike Jones*
DB Marcus Rios*
WR/SB Kenny Walker*
LB Dale Warren*

Thanks for the nice response. The one thing I’m concerned about is our team is arguably weaker (on paper) than last year’s team. Thankfully, Calgary stepped back as well and I think we are better than everyone else.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Thanks for the nice response. The one thing I’m concerned about is our team is arguably weaker (on paper) than last year’s team. Thankfully, Calgary stepped back as well and I think we are better than everyone else.

Riders had a championship calibre team last year but for one key position. It could be the same for the Bombers this year.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Riders had a championship calibre team last year but for one key position. It could be the same for the Bombers this year.
Difference is we have Lapo and the Riders have McAdoo. McAdoo is a terrible OC. And I'd also add that at this stage in their careers, Nichols is better than Collaros. I'm predicting a complete gong-show for the Riders this season...they might only win 3 games.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Difference is we have Lapo and the Riders have McAdoo. McAdoo is a terrible OC. And I'd also add that at this stage in their careers, Nichols is better than Collaros. I'm predicting a complete gong-show for the Riders this season...they might only win 3 games.

They’re guaranteed at least one win, the LDC against us.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Correct. Went to my first LDC game in Regina last year and was disappointed, but not surprised, with the result. And being the idiot that I am, I’m going again this year :help:

I went once in my younger years. The Bombers lost, of course. The worst part was having to endure listening to my friends, who were all veterans of our high school stage productions, singing show tunes the entire f***ing drive home. :pullhair:

Reactions: snowkiddin

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I went once in my younger years. The Bombers lost, of course. The worst part was having to endure listening to my friends, who were all veterans of our high school stage productions, singing show tunes the entire ****ing drive home. :pullhair:
I was recently at a LDC where the Bombers won. Leaving that stadium wearing my Bombers jersey was a glorious moment!

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Kevin Glenn announced his retirement today.

It was time for him. Losing Ray and Glenn in one offseason kind of sucks though, they were stars during my childhood. Hopefully if they ever get a team out in the Maritimes Glenn will come out of retirement and sign a one day contract with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: sipowicz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad