Winning the Stanley Cup would be easier than Winning the McDavid sweepstake

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Lol, "science". Vegas odds? Ouija board? What are the Vegas odds of the Canucks drafting #1 overall? Not that tha would actually mean anything, but just curious.

And your last sentence is pure garbage. The BEST chance to get the #1 is to finish last.

The canucks are a crappy team. They aren't crappy enough to the pointing of contending with garbage such as Buffalo for the worst record in the league. The poster is saying that even if the canucks don't finish 30th overall there is still a chance that they win the lottery and get the 1st overall, do you finally understand?

The idea that the canucks are playoff contenders, let alone stanley cup contenders is laughable.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
How's that? The road to winning should never be considered "easier" than the road to losing. Winning a cup should not be considered "easier" than tanking. It's an insult to how difficult/competitive the game is.

If the GM suddenly decides "Okay, we're going to do poorly and go for the blablabla sweepstakes now", and that's his goal for some silly reason, he easily can make moves that for certain would at least move the team backwards. Enough to win the sweepstakes depends on how far he's willing to go with that. GMs can do everything in their power to IMPROVE the team, let alone win the cup, and it might not happen. The team could do even worse despite this. It's hard to do, and it's hard to do right.

Certainly it's "easier" to freefall than go on a run. Doesn't mean we should do it, but certainly it's easier.

if you exist in a world where "ok we're going to do badly now" is a thing that happens and is socially acceptable, every other team can and also will do it. it's just as hard to lose a game where every team is getting the puck and putting it in their own net as it is to win a game where both teams are trying to win

you can't exempt the canucks from the realities of pride and reputation without doing it to other teams as well and then you run into a mess thats not realistic

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Lol, "science". Vegas odds? Ouija board? What are the Vegas odds of the Canucks drafting #1 overall? Not that tha would actually mean anything, but just curious.

And your last sentence is pure garbage. The BEST chance to get the #1 is to finish last.

so what are your best guesses for the team as is

making the playoffs %
winning the 1st round %
winning the 2nd round %
winning the WCF %
winning the SCF %

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
if you exist in a world where "ok we're going to do badly now" is a thing that happens and is socially acceptable, every other team can and also will do it. it's just as hard to lose a game where every team is getting the puck and putting it in their own net as it is to win a game where both teams are trying to win

you can't exempt the canucks from the realities of pride and reputation without doing it to other teams as well and then you run into a mess thats not realistic

Way I see it, no team has won the cup 3 years in a row since the 1980-1983 Islanders.

Pretty sure I can name a team that has managed that feat for 1st overall quite recently.

Seems clear which one is "easier" once a GM puts his mind to it.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Way I see it, no team has won the cup 3 years in a row since the 1980-1983 Islanders.

Pretty sure I can name a team that has managed that feat for 1st overall quite recently.

Seems clear which one is "easier" once a GM puts his mind to it.

The odds have changed several times for the worst recently though. We don't even know what the odds are this year, but I doubt they're much better than 15% for the 30th place team.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
The odds have changed several times for the worst recently though. We don't even know what the odds are this year, but I doubt they're much better than 15% for the 30th place team.

Where did 15% come from?

And if any year is a good year to nerf the odds for the 30th placed team to win the lottery, it would be a year where a Canadian team like the Canucks are guaranteed to finish in the bottom 3.

I have a feeling the nerf is coming in the next few years.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Where did 15% come from?

And if any year is a good year to nerf the odds for the 30th placed team to win the lottery, it would be a year where a Canadian team like the Canucks are guaranteed to finish in the bottom 3.

I have a feeling the nerf is coming in the next few years.

I think it is about 19% or there abouts for 2015. What is promising is that it appears picks 1, 2 and 3 will be available for the lottery in 2016, this helps teams that suck but aren't balls out tanking - could benefit the canucks.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Even if we end up drafting something like 10th, that gives us a ~2% chance to win the lottery. I really doubt our actual chances to win the Cup this season are >2%. They're more likely in the range of 0.01%.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I think winning a round should be their goal this season. I don't expect a repeat of last season at all. The only way to tank for McDavid would be to make it obvious that we're tanking (ie throwing games), and you can bet the league would make an example out of us. There's too much veteran presence in this line-up to drop to last overall.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Odds of winning the Cup in the off season any given year: 1/30
Odds of winning the lottery in the off season any given year: 1/30

/thread

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
It doesn't benefit the Canucks much, because the odds are still in overwhelming favour of the bottom teams.

Generally speaking, these kind of reforms will shave the cream off the top and pad it on the bottom.

The guys stuck in the middle of the lottery (20th~25th ranked teams) don't benefit nearly as much on both a relative and nominal basis.

On the subject of the system...

15% is unlikely, that's a 40% reduction from 25%.

I'm expecting a 20% reduction, giving the worst team a 20% chance odds to win the lottery.

I still prefer having a system with multiple components in evaluating the team's needs rather than a simple % system.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Even if we end up drafting something like 10th, that gives us a ~2% chance to win the lottery. I really doubt our actual chances to win the Cup this season are >2%. They're more likely in the range of 0.01%.

I have them at about 0.6% to win the SC.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

But it's still "easier" to free-fall unintentionally than it is succeed intentionally.

If you do any number of things wrong or slip up in any number of ways, it can cause you to plummet-- Everything has to go right in order for you to succeed, IMO.

I'm sticking with the against the tide with the tide thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00