Confirmed with Link: Winnik(50% retained) traded to Pens for Zach Sill, 2nd in 2016, 4th in 2015

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Pierre McGuire said on TSN radio this morning that people around the league think the Leafs could've done better.

I think a 2nd and a 4th for what will amount to be a heart and soul 3rd liner is pretty good.

He sounds bitter that teams are making trades before the deadline day.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
The best is Noodles. He is actually the 1 person on Leafs Lunch that has experience coaching, and he is regarded as a true bright hockey mind. He could be actually coaching right now, but is too happy with the media gig to do so.

The guy has a tonne of contacts, played almost everywhere in the world. A really articulate and insightful analyst.

I was never a fan just from seeing his TV stuff, but he's really grown on me after listening to Leafs Lunch. He's the voice of reason and it really mixes with the other two guys. Leafs Lunch is definitely worse without him. I'm now a fan.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I agree, McGuire is off the mark. It's a good return, especially for a guy just picked up as a UFA on a bargain contract. 2nd rounders are good, this year or next.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think we could have gotten a better return for Winnik... but only marginally better. It's not like we got ripped off. It was a fair trade, however we were in a position to make someone overpay. I think Nashville overpaid, and Winnik got a fair price (or slightly underpaid). Overall, I'm happy with the moves. No sense in splitting hairs.

And maybe had we waited, Winnik would have won us a couple more games, which is way more valuable then the additional trade value he would have generated.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Funny how Pierre says we got to little and the Hockeycentral crew say we got more than they expected. Seems like the truth is somewhere in the middle

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Let's hope they have convinced management to move some core pieces, not secondary / supplementary players.

Likely see first real moves at the draft.

I agree. Teams are still hesitant to take on those big contracts when they're not totally sure what next year's cap will be like. Once the off-season comes along, then the bigger moves will likely happen.

Tyler Biggs*

This is a great trade for a guy that was a UFA who would not have signed. 2 picks and a young player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad