Confirmed with Link: Winnik(50% retained) traded to Pens for Zach Sill, 2nd in 2016, 4th in 2015

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
on Sportsnet they are saying price was steep for Winnick actually.

I think we did good.

Without hesitation.

Franson, Santorelli,Winnik represent a very encouraging period of asset management.

And for the peanut gallery that may chime in, please infer that by encouraging asset management I mean precisely, in the instance of exchanging only those assets mentioned above.

Looney Toonies

May 30, 2012
Canada
I would agree. I bet Lupul won't even dress tomorrow.

I'm thinking the same thing, and probably for the better.

Awesome return for Winnik by the way, too bad it's not a 2015 2nd, but who are we as leaf fans to be upset about our management getting solid return for our UFA's.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Bozak

Doesn't have the injury history like Lupul.

Doesn't have the term or dollar like Kessel / Phaneuf

Yup, Bozak is my guess as well. He is also some one who kills penalties and can chip in with offense, especially on the PP. Special team guys are always valuable. That he have proven he can play with guys more skilled then him show he got some decent hockey sense to.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Yup, Bozak is my guess as well. He is also some one who kills penalties and can chip in with offense, especially on the PP. Special team guys are always valuable. That he have proven he can play with guys more skilled then him show he got some decent hockey sense to.

Disagree about the hockey sense - I don't think he has it. Especially off the puck.

Maybe it's my bias against him, but I feel like teams view him more as "someone who needs to be carried by better players" rather than "someone who can play with skill guys if needed". Let's not overlook the fact that he's never put up 50 points despite playing with the high-producing Phil Kessel.

It'll be interesting. I expect Bozak to go, but I think it'll be for a mediocre return - a camp dump and a low pick, for example.

Durkin67

Bozak

Doesn't have the injury history like Lupul.

Doesn't have the term or dollar like Kessel / Phaneuf

This makes sense but if you're looking like a contender, is TB the guy at the top of your list for your playoff push?

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
This makes sense but if you're looking like a contender, is TB the guy at the top of your list for your playoff push?

That really depends on your needs, do you need a #2-3C(i.e you had an injury or you have a tweener at the #2 spot?) if yes, then yes TB would be an interesting piece to add to your team.

not looking at the angry bias people have against him, on a competitive team he can probably give you 40-50 points, top 10 faceoffs, average defence etc.

He'd be a fit in Chicago for example, they kind of have average/weak C depth after Toews, no true #2 guy, brad richards is pretty inconsistent.

in a deal like that we would probably get a 1st, bickell for cap and a decent prospect.

Bozak is 100% worth a late first, especially with how dry the market is this year, seriously who is left on the market right now? Vermette? anyone else major?

Tyler Biggs*

We picked this guy up for nothing in the offseason, we were going to lose him to UFA and we ended up flipping him for 2 picks and a player that we can flip for more picks. What a strong move by Toronto.

Disgruntled Observer*

I like the trade.
Some people are complaining that low picks like these have a low chance of nhl success.
But the point of a rebuild is to acquire TONS of picks and, combined with good scouting, you'll likely find some hidden gems.
I expect we'll see at least a few more trades like this by the deadline.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
it's a nice return i wish it didn't remind me of the fact that Nonis included a 3rd rounder with Gunnarsson to get Polak. less than a year later we're adding 4ths and distand future 2nds. what a waste.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Disagree about the hockey sense - I don't think he has it. Especially off the puck.

Maybe it's my bias against him, but I feel like teams view him more as "someone who needs to be carried by better players" rather than "someone who can play with skill guys if needed". Let's not overlook the fact that he's never put up 50 points despite playing with the high-producing Phil Kessel.

It'll be interesting. I expect Bozak to go, but I think it'll be for a mediocre return - a camp dump and a low pick, for example.

Agree to disagree then. I think it is his hockey smarts that has gotten him this far. When he came in to the league he also look a lot more solid defensively then he do now. I think that is because he is not good enough to be a 2-way center but much focus on one aspect more then the other in order to be somewhat successful. That could of course mean, as you say, that his hockey sense is just average or below. I just think by just watching him that he usually makes the smart decisions. Then again, perhaps it is my hockey sense that is lacking. ;)

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
I love the trade. All of our trades can not be for 2015 picks. You need to have staggered picks through out 2-4 year period (or over 7 to 10 years if your Edmonton) for contract purposes . Regardless of what year they are for, that's a solid return.

Key now is drafting well, and not trading them away for a chance at a Bigg return

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

A camp dump? Yeah, like, get out of our tent dude! Your new tent is over there! :biglaugh:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I don't mind getting picks for next year from teams that are surely in the playoffs this year. There's always a chance they can fall apart and have a bad year.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I don't buy this Sekera and Franson have the same value bs

Sekera is a MUCH more proven asset despite both have upcoming UFA status

how about we look back at this kind of sentiment after they ink up in the summer and compare notes.:)

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
I don't mind getting picks for next year from teams that are surely in the playoffs this year. There's always a chance they can fall apart and have a bad year.

We should be complete draft pick ****** over the next three years. Give the scouting department plenty of ammo in hopes of drafting a few Ace-Kings, and a bunch of 6-7's, in that time. In 5 years we should start seeing some progress.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Agree to disagree then. I think it is his hockey smarts that has gotten him this far. When he came in to the league he also look a lot more solid defensively then he do now. I think that is because he is not good enough to be a 2-way center but much focus on one aspect more then the other in order to be somewhat successful. That could of course mean, as you say, that his hockey sense is just average or below. I just think by just watching him that he usually makes the smart decisions. Then again, perhaps it is my hockey sense that is lacking. ;)

I agree with you though. Bozak has always been a smart player to me. He isn't particularly gifted in any way other than good skating, but he can play off of talented wingers and often takes smart decisions, makes smart passes. He's not very creative either, he's just available for the skilled wingers a lot.

I also agree about him defensively. I wrote at the start of the season that I see him as the guy that has the effort defensively but fails too often in the execution, but this year he's barely even trying defensively. Incredibly infuriating.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Pierre McGuire said on TSN radio this morning that people around the league think the Leafs could've done better.

I think a 2nd and a 4th for what will amount to be a heart and soul 3rd liner is pretty good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad