Confirmed with Link: Winnik(50% retained) traded to Pens for Zach Sill, 2nd in 2016, 4th in 2015

Swayze*

Pierre McGuire said on TSN radio this morning that people around the league think the Leafs could've done better.

I think a 2nd and a 4th for what will amount to be a heart and soul 3rd liner is pretty good.

Lol

Pierre

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
it's a nice return i wish it didn't remind me of the fact that Nonis included a 3rd rounder with Gunnarsson to get Polak. less than a year later we're adding 4ths and distand future 2nds. what a waste.

That was a terrible trade by us. One of the worst and I know if we traded Gunnar on his own we would get more now than if we trade Polak today. What does Polak even bring back? If its not a 1st and 2nd+ prospect we got robbed.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Pierre McGuire said on TSN radio this morning that people around the league think the Leafs could've done better.

I think a 2nd and a 4th for what will amount to be a heart and soul 3rd liner is pretty good.

maybe we could have gotten a 2015 2nd rounder but at the end of the day a bird in the hand is a bird in the hand.

at the end of the day you always feel like maybe you didnt get enough of a return. i think that is regardless of what you actually return. realistically if the leafs could have gotten better it is marginally better. its not like we traded jvr for schenn. maybe we missed out on a current draft pick or a 3rd instead of a 4th. in the grand scheme of things its pretty minimum. pierre is also providing entertainment on the radio. if he said the leafs got a good return it wouldnt be much of a conversation.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
I think the market would have dried up if we waited. To each their own I guess

I agree that the market can have a reverse happen if you wait, you never know. I am happy with both deals, I really am, however do I think based on the Sekera trade we could've got more for Franson & Santo maybe but still a safe return and I believe LA protected the pick. As for Winnik, I only wish the 2nd was this year as we don't have one, not sad it's next year just not ideal. However that being said it's ammo we didn't have prior. If Hunter sees a player falling he likes it is ammo with the Nashville pick to move up. Now I am not saying we need to start trading picks, but in the right situation I won't care. Unlike previous years we have options and a management group with a plan, this alone is a good start.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think the interesting part of this is that it took (50% retained salary) = $650k + Sill $550k salary dump to move a $1.3 mil player on an expiring contract. That is a $100k salary cost to the Pens and $1.2k of $1.3 mil to the Leafs.

Shows strong determination to make a deal work. Its almost like saying we're offering this player at 92% off sticker price for a couple of draft picks. ;)

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

I was listening to him as well and the best part was when they asked him what he thought he should have gone for and he said

high end prospect + 2nd + 2nd or 3rd

Last edited by a moderator:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I was listening to him as well and the best part was when they asked him what he thought he should have gone for and he said

high end prospect + 2nd + 2nd or 3rd

That's a delusional price for Winnik.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyler Biggs*

Zack Sill, a 2nd and a 4th for Winnik is quite the haul for the Leafs...

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He was definitely talking about Winnik. I never got the impression he expected the prospect + 2x 2nd + late picks. Seemed like he was suggesting 2 good pieces instead of (1 and some throw aways) then listed off assets.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I agree that the market can have a reverse happen if you wait, you never know. I am happy with both deals, I really am, however do I think based on the Sekera trade we could've got more for Franson & Santo maybe but still a safe return and I believe LA protected the pick. As for Winnik, I only wish the 2nd was this year as we don't have one, not sad it's next year just not ideal. However that being said it's ammo we didn't have prior. If Hunter sees a player falling he likes it is ammo with the Nashville pick to move up. Now I am not saying we need to start trading picks, but in the right situation I won't care. Unlike previous years we have options and a management group with a plan, this alone is a good start.

Agreed. I am happy with both deals. I'm happy with a 2nd and 4th. Sill is actually a good pick up for the Leafs during a rebuild as well. We will need a 4th liner that can drop the mitts when needed in order to give all the young players a little more confidence. The worst thing we could let happen is allow teams to beat up on our young kids and take away their willingness to compete. If Sill shows he can take a regular 4th line shift, which I believe he can, we should get him signed for 2-3 years for this rebuild. Let's the young, skilled players know that someone will have their back.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

I've never heard a guy speak so much but say so little.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Sad to see Winnik go. I thought he was genuinely the best of the seemingly endless bottom 6 UFA signings we brought in over the past decade. But it's nice he got sent to a likable team like Pitts. Go Pens!

Swayze*

nonis took the best offer on the table, that's how it works

so Pierre is 100% out to lunch

Stacker29

Feb 17, 2015
Personally I love the deal . Retaining salary ? Who cares, it's done this year.

It's nice to see us adding a 2nd rounder, rather than parting with one.

Winnik gets a shot at a cup, and we add two draft picks, that can be part of a trade up scenario, or just two chances for our scouts to hit a homerun.

If we really want, we can sign Winnik in the offseason.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Hayes + O'Neill is totally on this (ie: be happy with what we got, don't be all quibbly)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hayes + O'Neill is totally on this (ie: be happy with what we got, don't be all quibbly)

The best is Noodles. He is actually the 1 person on Leafs Lunch that has experience coaching, and he is regarded as a true bright hockey mind. He could be actually coaching right now, but is too happy with the media gig to do so.

The guy has a tonne of contacts, played almost everywhere in the world. A really articulate and insightful analyst.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think the interesting part of this is that it took (50% retained salary) = $650k + Sill $550k salary dump to move a $1.3 mil player on an expiring contract. That is a $100k salary cost to the Pens and $1.2k of $1.3 mil to the Leafs.

Shows strong determination to make a deal work. Its almost like saying we're offering this player at 92% off sticker price for a couple of draft picks. ;)

That is some math you are tossing out.

He has played 3/4 of the season already and the leafs are retaining half of the remaining 1/4 of his seasons cap hit!

The leafs are retaining $162,500 and the Pens are paying the same.

The sticker price was already 75% off....so the Leafs retained 12.5%to make the deal.

They were the only team still interested at the price we wanted.

The amount on the cap dump we took back is $137500.....so in total we have $300,000 in remaining salary for a 2nd and a 4th.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
McGuire out to lunch.

Winnik has been on the market for a while and the whole NHl knew. The asking price was 2 nd rounder plus. No one wanted to pay it, so we took one next year. A high end prospect?!!! So Winnik is worth more than Franson?!!

Once again another ho hum TD and the media is embrrassed after all the stupid rumours they have started. Toronto wont make trades unless they make sense and neither will other GM's Pierre. Thats why you arent in the NHL, you arent even a good couch GM.

We just got a 2nd and 4th for a guy any team could have signed for de nada at the start of the season and we can resing him.Now let's get a first(3 firsts in 2015!) for Bozak to Vancouver, move Phaneuff and call the tear down complete coz Kessel aint going anywhere.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Winnik has been on the market for a while and the whole NHl knew. The asking price was 2 nd rounder plus. No one wanted to pay it, so we took one next year. A high end prospect?!!! So Winnik is worth more than Franson?!!

Once again another ho hum TD and the media is embrrassed after all the stupid rumours they have started. Toronto wont make trades unless they make sense and neither will other GM's Pierre. Thats why you arent in the NHL, you arent even a good couch GM.

We just got a 2nd and 4th for a guy any team could have signed for de nada at the start of the season and we can resing him.Now let's get a first(3 firsts in 2015!) for Bozak to Vancouver, move Phaneuff and call the tear down complete coz Kessel aint going anywhere.

What are we giving to Vancouver for their first? Because it isn't Bozak

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3