Post-Game Talk: Wings win! Flyers @ Wings 10/12/13

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
For a couple shifts, he's there to start the 3rd period.

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 16s
Bickell out there with Toews and Kane to start the third period. #Blackhawks

That huge contract will give Bickell a long leash.

I am not sure what possessed them to trade away Dave Bolland, a guy they signed to a big long term contract after he had one good year and helped them win a Stanley cup - just they could sign Bickell to a big long term contract after he had one decent year and helped them win a Stanley cup.

Bolland at least can take face offs and anchor a 3rd line. Bickell is just another big guy who can't skate or handle the puck very well.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Abdelkader on the 4th line, good. Abdelkader on the 3rd line, okay. Abdelkader with Z&D, it works because he's playing with superstars and he can do his thing. But 2nd line? That is insane. Abdelkader can't play an everyday scoring role. It's the absolute worst spot in the lineup to put him.

At least Bert was playing in the only role he can still succeed in today. We'll see how long it lasts. Same with Alfie on the 3rd line, good, even though Nyquist should be on the other wing to make it legit. Baby steps..

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Alfie-Weiss-Tatar for second line please!

Z-Pav-Bert for first

Franzen-Andy-Cleary for third

Ill be happy and a tad more dangerous

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I don't think Weiss and Franzen have good chemistry. I saw some hard skating from them both and it just wasn't working.

All in all, I am still very worried about the defense breaking the puck out and secondary scoring being able to sustain offense because of it. Some good defensive plays but too many times where we have puck possession in our end and fail to get it out.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I don't believe RWN was implying anything negative about DD's play. Dekeyser is excellent. Just Pierre McGuire and the Wings broadcasters talk about him like he's the next Bobby Orr. Chances are Glendening is another mediocre 4th line player. I really didn't see how he's an upgrade over Emmerton. Ideally, Helm comes back and Glendenning is sent back down.

Just on gut instinct I think DeKeyser will get get 2nd PP time in a year or two and start to produce offense. I think he'll turn into a #2 defensmen in a couple years.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
man datsyuk put on a clinic. showed me after criticizing him a bit after phoenix game.

team generally looked to have more spark this game. good that babcock can still get them fired up.

they mentioned in flyers broadcast that wings have had lots of discussions and meetings about how to improve their play.

z-d-bert
nyquist/tatar-weiss-franzen
nyquist/tatar-andy-alfie
who-gives-adamn

is what i'd like to see.

lashoff wasn't all that bad. seems improved a bit from last year. dekeyser has been little disappointing. liking kronner and big e.

weiss, i'll give you 20-25 games to get your **** together.

RedWingsNow*

Z got 2 goals and an assist today -- but I really didn't see much from him. Surprised he's right with Datsyuk.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Is anyone else surprised by how dominant Kindl is playing? Man he gets skating through the neutral zone and looks terrific. He's even a threat to gain the zone and keep possession. He' like a real hockey player! :laugh: It'd be great if he fully blooms and becomes the player he was expected to be. Most everybody here has said it was only a matter of being given trust and gaining confidence in himself. He's had a tough journey and has truly battled to earn a place in the NHL.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
1st PP unit looked good again- it was only a matter of time until they potted a couple. But, the team is way too dependent still on Z-D-X and Kronwall-E and the 1st PP unit. Weiss and Franzen really need to get going.

Lots of changes tonight outside of the much talked about line changes for the forwards:
-Cleary taken off 2nd PP unit and put on PK. Abdelkader replaced him on second PP unit
-Ericcsson added to 2nd PP unit
-Bert and Franzen swap places on PP units
-Glendening was 4th line center and on 1st PK unit
-Quincey-Dekeyser were second pairing while Kindl saw a big reduction in ice time.
-5 forwards played 14+ minutes at even strength (Abs, Z, D, Franzen, Weiss), 4 were in the 10-12 minutes range (Cleary, Alfreddsson, Anderrson and Bert) and the 4th line was rarely used.

jerrymac

Oct 24, 2011
GB
Does anyone have a picture of Tootoo's stare? lol

Vc18930.gif

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1st PP unit looked good again- it was only a matter of time until they potted a couple. But, the team is way too dependent still on Z-D-X and Kronwall-E and the 1st PP unit. Weiss and Franzen really need to get going.

I'd like to see what happens if:

1st line: Mule - Dats - X
2nd line: Zeta - Weiss - X

Maybe we could get Mule and Weiss going.

X - Andersson - Alfie in the 3rd line to get deep corps.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I was at the game last night. Bertuzzi's definitely lost a couple steps over the years but man, is he ever good in the corners and in front of the net. Never got knocked off the puck unless he had too much open ice to work with. As a fan of his from his Vancouver days, it was nice to see him get an opportunity on the top line for the game I happened to go to.

I was disappointed by DeKeyser though. I thought with the hype around him (I lurk on this forum from time to time) he would be a lot better than he was. He's not bad defensively but he looked shaky most times he had to move the puck last night, made a few bad decisions and just generally showed some nervousness.

Also, as a Jets fan attending a Red Wings game, it's shocking how much more organized the Wings are in every facet of the game than the Jets are. I'm calling dibs right now: when you guys eventually fire Babcock, the Jets will take him. I'm sure I'm the first to call dibs :sarcasm:

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Is anyone else surprised by how dominant Kindl is playing? Man he gets skating through the neutral zone and looks terrific. He's even a threat to gain the zone and keep possession. He' like a real hockey player! :laugh: It'd be great if he fully blooms and becomes the player he was expected to be. Most everybody here has said it was only a matter of being given trust and gaining confidence in himself. He's had a tough journey and has truly battled to earn a place in the NHL.

I agree I think he is playing very well.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
. I'm calling dibs right now: when you guys eventually fire Babcock, the Jets will take him. I'm sure I'm the first to call dibs :sarcasm:

Hope you don't mind Scheifele and Trouba sitting in the Press Box, or playing in the AHL then,

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Hope you don't mind Scheifele and Trouba sitting in the Press Box, or playing in the AHL then,

trouba is 6'2, 200 lbs, very smart and excellent skater and can dish it out. babcock would play him 40 mins a game.

scheifele 30 mins bc he reminds him of cleary as he's always falling down or laying down on the ice.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Very interesting week coming up for the Wings - 4 games in 6 nights.

Road games at Boston, Colorado and Phoenix and a home game (back to back) with CBJ.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
trouba is 6'2, 200 lbs, very smart and excellent skater and can dish it out. babcock would play him 40 mins a game.

scheifele 30 mins bc he reminds him of cleary as he's always falling down or laying down on the ice.

Babcock's pretty good at finding reasons not to play kids. Almost like it's his specialty. ;)

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Very interesting week coming up for the Wings - 4 games in 6 nights.

Road games at Boston, Colorado and Phoenix and a home game (back to back) with CBJ.

Will be tough for our oldies to play this many games in such a short time period, I hope Babs roll the 4 lines, even though DRW are so dependant on Dats and Zee.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
See what happens when you have a winger with half a brain playing on the first line?

The 1st line is still good and the rest of the team still sucks? Yeah. Bertuzzi was good, but this is getting blown out of proportion, the problem with the Wings wasn't that Abdelkader was on the 1st line.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad