Post-Game Talk: Wings win 3-1!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The success of Nyquist and Tatar and the failure of Weiss shows that management would have been better off promoting Sheahan or Ferraro into that position that signing an expensive free agent.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The success of Nyquist and Tatar and the failure of Weiss shows that management would have been better off promoting Sheahan or Ferraro into that position that signing an expensive free agent.

Two sides to that coin unfortunately it also can say there slow play helped them. Not necessarily agreeing just playing devils advocate.

Tatar did in my opinion benefit greatly from how he was developed.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
We could convert Sheahan, Glendening and Ferraro to wings as well.

Imagine thinking you have a good matchup in a couple years to pick on a fourth line, but it is Sheahan - Andersson - Ferraro. They can completely cheat on every draw, all of them are natural centers, Sheahan and Ferraro can even play up the line.

Or soon you can use Glendening - Andersson - Sheahan as a shutdown line. All of them have phenomenal defensive hockey IQ. They would be miserable to play against. The important part is that we keep the speed flanking Andersson no matter what we do in my opinion.

If he does eventually lose out because of Sheahan, Glendening, and Ferraro on that depth role we will be able to sell him for way above market price more than likely.

tumblr_mg7ryhTJxL1rsm741o1_500.gif

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Two sides to that coin unfortunately it also can say there slow play helped them. Not necessarily agreeing just playing devils advocate.

Tatar did in my opinion benefit greatly from how he was developed.

Them?

Nyquist and Tatar were handled differently, and Nyquist produced better his 1st season in GR than Tatar ever did.

Nyquist and Tatar did not progress identically. Nor were they developed identically.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Or getting Grabovski :(

Please get me a time machine so we can make that happen.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Or getting Grabovski :(

Please get me a time machine so we can make that happen.

Or Mason Raymond :handclap:

But seriously, lets give Weiss some time here fellas. He's signed for the next 4 years? He's gonna get better. We don't know how healthy he is. Lets wait till next year about mid season till we start to to put him in that Cleary tier. Have some faith.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Please tell me someone saw the play where Cleary went to go check some guy in the corner, he ran into him and the guy remained standing still unphased, and Cleary bounced off him and fell down?

I wish I could get a gif of that.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
lol cleary getting interviewed.

By Helene? :sarcasm:

He was pretty bad this game but not as bad as usual. He was partly responsible for the goal against. It still bothers me that Babs continues to bump him up the lines and put him on the PP. Ideally, when we get healthy. He's sent to the press box. Unfortunately, that's a long shot.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

promoting Sheahan or Ferraro into second line Center? :help:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Them?

Nyquist and Tatar were handled differently, and Nyquist produced better his 1st season in GR than Tatar ever did.

Nyquist and Tatar did not progress identically. Nor were they developed identically.

I know, Nyquist was pretty close to ready since he left Maine, he has improved in certain areas, his strength and stick checking all got better and better as he stayed down.

Tatar came as an 18 year old. His first couple seasons he was a goal scorer only really, even during his first call up. Then it started to click at the end of the season a couple years ago and really took off under Blashill. He got better away from the puck and added a lot more jam. Until last season he really was not ready to be called up. I know that opens up a can of worms, but on a lot of teams he would have come up during his goal scoring days and he wouldn't be quite the player he is now. They have slow played him, but there are areas that it helped a lot and he is a much better player because of it. I would have liked to see him up a little earlier and with better opportunities in terms of playing time and role, but I really am of the belief that we are going to maximize this guys talent and deserve a lot of credit for the player they have molded him into.

Obviously Tatar's desire to be great helped a ton, just saying the player we have today versus the player of even two years ago towards the end of that season is vastly different. He did get some benefits of being down there. Nyquist's gains were a lot more minimal, you would also pick that up a lot more in person where Nyquist was doing the same dominant things and getting even better, whereas Tatar you would notice, he never did that before and he was doing the other things he did better as well while watching him in the AHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I know, Nyquist was pretty close to ready since he left Maine, he has improved in certain areas, his strength and stick checking all got better and better as he stayed down.

Tatar came as an 18 year old. His first couple seasons he was a goal scorer only really, even during his first call up. Then it started to click at the end of the season a couple years ago and really took of under Blashill. He got better away from the puck and added a lot more jam. Until last season he really was not ready to be called up. I know that opens up a can of worms, but on a lot of teams he would have come up during his goal scoring days and he wouldn't be quite the player he is now. They have slow played him, but there are areas that it helped a lot and he is a much better player because of it. I would have liked to see him up a little earlier and with better opportunities in terms of playing time and role, but I really am of the belief that we are going to maximize this guys talent and deserve a lot of credit for the player they have molded him into.

Obviously Tatar's desire to be great helped a ton, just saying the player we have today versus the player of even two years ago towards the end of that season is vastly different. He did get some benefits of being down there. Nyquist's gains were a lot more minimal, you would also pick that up a lot more in person where Nyquist was doing the same dominant things and getting even better, whereas Tatar you would notice, he never did that before and he was doing the other things he did better as well while watching him in the AHL.

Long story short. I think the way Tatar was developed was fine for the most part. Got to round out his game, he was in the league by 22. Whatever.

What they did to Nyquist was absolutely overkill, and I think he was beyond gaining anything from the level he was stuck playing at for too long.

So to put them both in the same sentence is dumb to me. As I've said, there's no precedent for what we did to Nyquist. Not with our own guys we've ever developed.

But really, it's all in the past and both guys are doing good. But Nyquist should have been on the team for awhile. His points in the AHL prove that. His play last year proved that. His play this year proves that. It is what it is.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Kronwall quietly plays over 27 minutes, and has another terrific game. I knew Kronwall was a solid player all along, but he is surpassing expectations this year. Call me a homer, but he's a top 10 Defenseman in the entire NHL. If he keeps this level of play up, people are going to soon start with discussions of a Norris trophy.

I gave a star to kronner tonight. He was really good and has been all season

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
By Helene? :sarcasm:

He was pretty bad this game but not as bad as usual. He was partly responsible for the goal against. It still bothers me that Babs continues to bump him up the lines and put him on the PP. Ideally, when we get healthy. He's sent to the press box. Unfortunately, that's a long shot.

At least we know that as soon as one of Z/D/Helm comes back, Cleary is gone off that PP line. That's the only reason he's there. Scraping the bottom of the barrel on that second unit.
promoting Sheahan or Ferraro into second line Center?
Or Z/D as top2 centers, then Helm, then Sheahan/Ferraro/Andersson? Or even D, Helm, Sheahan, Andersson down the middle. Helm has shown a bit of ability this year. Just riffing here since I still think Weiss was mostly the right call/idea despite his disappointing results so far.

Long story short. I think the way Tatar was developed was fine for the most part. Got to round out his game, he was in the league by 22. Whatever.

"For the most part" being he should have been up permanently last year after his 18 games. He put up some decent numbers for the minutes he was getting. And at the *very* least, his roster spot should not even have been in question this year. But he started in the press box and had to "earn" his way past absolutely disappointing veterans. I suppose it's only a year's worth, still annoying to watch though when it's so clear how much better he is than the other regular skaters.

Made this.
Hyq5tdm.gif

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I gave a star to kronner tonight. He was really good and has been all season

He wound up being a plus one anyway, and a ton of the one goal goes to a standstill Cleary on the blueline, but Kronwall did not make the appropriate read and react on their only goal. Outside of that mistake he was fantastic again tonight like he has been all season. Just that play cost me a star when other guys played well tonight without major errors.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He wound up being a plus one anyway, and a ton of the one goal goes to a standstill Cleary on the blueline, but Kronwall did not make the appropriate read and react on their only goal. Outside of that mistake he was fantastic again tonight like he has been all season. Just that play cost me a star when other guys played well tonight without major errors.

Even Mickey called Cleary out on that one. Pretty harshly too. "Cleary, caught standing still here." Yep, that happens often Mickey.

XxTatar21SaucexX

MotownShowdown
Sep 3, 2012
WOO!!!

Tatar bringing that sauce! I'm glad Babcock decided to push him up on the 1st line around midpoint. Things really worked out for the better. Starting half of the first period was a nightmare defensively, Smith having 2-3 TOs. Nevertheless, this win was all about the hustle. All 4 lines were skating and NJ is not an easy team to play against in their own end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad