TSN: Wings willing to make Babcock highest paid coach in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Babcock built a reputation on the back of J.S. Giguere carrying a mediocre team to the Finals, inherited the most complete post-lockout team, won a Cup, was beat in 2009 by a currently unemployed coach, and was bounced from the playoffs two years in a row by a team coached by a former assistant.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach but his record isn't unimpeachable.
Babcock is either very good or great.
I mean, by the same virtue, Scotty Bowman almost exclusively coached elite teams. The 70's Habs, early 90's Penguins, and late 90's Red Wings are among the best ever. But there was a period, after his Buffalo stint, where all he did was work on HNIC. The question is: How much does a coach impact a great team, and vice versa. Is there a correlation? Does it lead to causation? I'm inclined Babcock is the best coach in the league regardless.

Additionally, the 2009 Red Wings were extremely injured in the finals. Lidstrom had been speared in the groin by Kane in the previous round, Hossa had a bad shoulder, Datsyuk was in and out. This left Zetterberg to play against Crosby and Malkin, the latter of which tore us up.
The referees not injuries IMO.
I don't doubt Babcock wants his payday, but I don't think money is the main hurdle. Just a few days ago it was rumored the Wings were willing to make him the highest paid coach in the league, which would probably be $3+ million a season. And how often have the Wings been unwilling to pay a guy they think highly of? Especially one who is already associated with the organization?

My read has been that Babcock not only wants the cash, but more of a say in how the roster is put together. Maybe that means more of a say in who we sign, but I think it's in who he keeps out of camp. That's where we've seen the most consistent friction the past few years, where Babcock has wanted to keep someone out of camp, but Holland has said no and sent a kid back to GR instead.

I'm thinking Babcock is pushing for that, Holland is balking, and that's where we're seeing this, "well, maybe it'll be better if I just sign one year deals" bit coming from the Babcock camp.

Personally, I wouldn't mind so much if Babcock had more of a say in who he kept out of camp. I would have no interest in this year to year business, though.

Do you mind to mention the players? Just curious.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
friedman is usually reliable. if it's not legit, he doesn't say it.

second to only bobby mac in my opinion.

i did find it interesting how he said how he leans on babs re-signing at the moment but before the season though there wasn't much of a chance.

i heard interviews from him last summer talking about this and he wasn't as blunt.

Yes, I like BobbyM and Friedman, usually get it right. Custance has been very good for Wings updates, rosters and such.

Is it possible.... well, anything is possible... that Babs would want to have potential suitors given permission to talk to him, and if so inclined, he could talk to them and not wait for the off-season. Still, it's always a case of which side is left holding the bag potentially. Wings would have to be very certain that they could quickly fill their opening with someone of very high caliber. I don't know how you get that kind of certainty.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Babcock is either very good or great.

The referees not injuries IMO.

Do you mind to mention the players? Just curious.

From what I can remember, Smith and Helm awhile back, Nyquist last year (though everyone wanted him up) and I think the year previous coming out of the lockout, XO this year. All guys that made the team eventually anyway, but Babs wanted them up sooner. Which is funny since he wouldn't keep Filppula up originally until Norton played himself out of a roster spot within the first couple of weeks of a season.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I don't get this "he wants to see how the team plays before resigning" thing. That seems very un-Babcock-like to me. If you like the organization and the players then you resign. If you don't, you don't.

I honestly think it's more likely that Babcock would leave when the team is clicking than if the team was struggling. He seems like the type that would hate leaving a project unfinished.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
In my opinion it's pretty simple. Babcock is the kind of person that puts a premium on winning. He likes the accolades and recognition, so I think he'll go where ever he thinks he has the best chance to coach a perennial championship team.

But then again, being the highest paid coach in the league is a testament in and of itself.

I do think he'll weigh in the long tenure, strength of the new comers/farm, stable organization and having his family in Michigan for however long it has been. I think Holland will acquire that elusive #1/#2 RH d-man if nothing else than to help his negotiation with Babs.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
From what I can remember, Smith and Helm awhile back, Nyquist last year (though everyone wanted him up) and I think the year previous coming out of the lockout, XO this year. All guys that made the team eventually anyway, but Babs wanted them up sooner. Which is funny since he wouldn't keep Filppula up originally until Norton played himself out of a roster spot within the first couple of weeks of a season.

I guess there will always be some disagreements.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Babcock made it clear that he wanted Ouellet in Detroit earlier. But he was very hesitant with Nyquist and gave a then-dreadful Cleary upper-line TOI over him. Helm came up early in spite of the stacked 2007/2008 roster. Smith came up despite not being overly dominant in the AHL (where his development seem to be stalled).

Anyway, I think Babcock has done a very good job over the last months with all the homegrown younger players. Since the Red Wings are very successful in developing their own talent and have many hopeful players in the pipeline, I hope they retain Babcock. After the Griffins seem to struggle a bit, my perception of Blashill is still high, but has waned.

Gruß,
BSHH

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Babcock built a reputation on the back of J.S. Giguere carrying a mediocre team to the Finals, inherited the most complete post-lockout team, won a Cup, was beat in 2009 by a currently unemployed coach, and was bounced from the playoffs two years in a row by a team coached by a former assistant.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach but his record isn't unimpeachable.

If you said he is "washed up" or "the wrong guy for the job" I wouldn't have bothered replying to you. I respect that you are entitled to your own opinion. But when it comes to Track records and Babcock you are flat out wrong. Literally no active coach can touch Babcock in terms of career track record.

From the CIS/WHL all the way up to the Olympics, Babcock has won at every level.
He has won when his teams were expected to win. He has won when his teams were expected to lose. He is the Second Fastest NHL coach to reach 500 wins. The list goes on and on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Babcock

Last edited:

Actual Thought*

In my opinion it's pretty simple. Babcock is the kind of person that puts a premium on winning. He likes the accolades and recognition, so I think he'll go where ever he thinks he has the best chance to coach a perennial championship team.

But then again, being the highest paid coach in the league is a testament in and of itself.

I do think he'll weigh in the long tenure, strength of the new comers/farm, stable organization and having his family in Michigan for however long it has been. I think Holland will acquire that elusive #1/#2 RH d-man if nothing else than to help his negotiation with Babs.

I think Babs is confident that he can win anywhere. Guys like Babs believe that they are the difference. Usually they are because others buy in to that confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad