Friedman: Wings wants a first round pick for Jimmy Howard

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'm crazy, not stupid :laugh:

And fwiw Quick was solid in the playoffs last year. I think injuries and a 2-8 record with a bad team is making him look worse than he is. When he's healthy he's a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs, has solid form and can teach the kids that and what it takes, feels and means to win and that can be a contagious thing on a bubble team. Only someone whose been there can teach that.

I'll take a chance on a guy who'll get better when he heals up who has proven himself over a guy I'm waiting for to collapse.

I'm that brand of crazy ;)

Bad team no doubt, but Howard's not exactly playing with the 01-02 Red Wings. He'd kill to have a defender half as good as Doughty.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Just spitballing here, would CGY do something around Howard + NYI's 2nd for Valimaki?

I can't imagine that phone call going over very well with Treliving. In short, no, Calgary wouldn't entertain such a proposal.

Valimaki is held in an incredibly high regard here in Calgary and would certainly not be moved for a UFA rental goaltender as the main piece.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
When Detroit actually was in the mix, that's exactly what Holland used to do.
No he didn't. He traded a kids that wanted to go back to Sweden of lower pedigrees for veterans.
Jarnkrok is a solid hockey player but he's not a prospect at the level of Cholowski or Valimaki.

Calgary hangs the phone up real quick on that one.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Wings definitely are not getting a 2019 1st for Howard. Not with how this draft is being lauded.

Overall he is middle of the pack goalie. In the 12-16 range. Good enough to win a series or two but doubtful he can win all 4.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
I think you're onto something. As a Wings fan I'd want more off the hop, but you're right in saying that usually the rental trades come with stipulations. Detroit did one with Philadelphia last year (Mrazek) and San Jose and Buffalo did a similar type of deal when Evander Kane got moved.

Thanks, my reasoning is that the 3rd quite easily becomes a second unless Howard gets injured or doesn’t perform. The value for the first comes into play if the Flames make the conference final, and if that happens it’s a real easy sell to fans of we make it that far and obviously worth the investment of a low first.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Well there are circumstances he would be worth it. TDL or there abouts, a playoff team's goalie goes down and their backup sucks. All of a sudden a first is no problem.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Wings definitely are not getting a 2019 1st for Howard. Not with how this draft is being lauded.

Overall he is middle of the pack goalie. In the 12-16 range. Good enough to win a series or two but doubtful he can win all 4.

I dunno, maybe I have been sleeping on this draft, but I felt 2018 was as deep a group as we've had in a long time, and teams were handing out first like candy.

The way Ken Holland has been lately he'll probably give a first to get rid of him.

Holland's last two trades have been hosing Vegas out of a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, for Tatar, and NYR out of a 3rd and a high 2nd for Brendan Smith...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad