Friedman: Wings wants a first round pick for Jimmy Howard

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He's not very good though....
He's been good this year but he's always an injury risk.

Goalies value is always murky to me, I'd be surprised if he returned a 1st. Most PO contending teams at the TDL likely have a viable starting goalie so you're paying a 1st for a backup

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
He is good this year, but he is injury prone and old. I would be surprised if the Wings managed to extract a 1st for him.

Maybe Calgary is a trade partner here?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
He's not very good though....

Lol.

He's been unreal this year. 5th in SVP amongst goalies with 20+ games played, behind goalies from Nashville, Toronto, Anaheim and Pittsburgh. 7th in GAA amongst goalies with 20+ games played, behind all of those guys + Fleury (VGK) and Hutton (BUF).

Howard has been a top 10, maybe even top 5 goalie this year. Watch him play and you will be very hard-pressed to come away unimpressed.

I could easily see him returning a conditional 2nd that turns into a 1st based on team success.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Gotta love the folks who don't watch Wings games and then claim this BS.

.923 SV% behind a defense composed of Green, Cholowski, Ericsson, DeKeyser, Kronwall, Jensen, Daley. Yup, he sux. :sarcasm:
A 1st for a goalie just seems loke bad value. He is a rental right and even then he has been inconsistent over the years. Not sure which team would even want a goalie? Value wise I see him close to a 2nd+C prospect but maybe if a team is really looking for upgrade they pay a late 1st.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
A 1st for a goalie just seems loke bad value. He is a rental right and even then he has been inconsistent over the years. Not sure which team would even want a goalie? Value wise I see him close to a 2nd+C prospect but maybe if a team is really looking for upgrade they pay a late 1st.

Howards had, like, two bad seasons and even then he wasn't awful. He's pretty consistently been around the league average - sometimes better, sometimes a bit worse. He's been pretty consistently solid since 2015-2016, though.

A straight up 1st would be difficult to return but as I said earlier, I could see him ultimately returning a 1st if certain conditions are met.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

Ryan Miller was the last UFA goalie to return a 1st.

It rarely happens.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Gotta love the folks who don't watch Wings games and then claim this BS.

.923 SV% behind a defense composed of Green, Cholowski, Ericsson, DeKeyser, Kronwall, Jensen, Daley. Yup, he sux. :sarcasm:
Heard the same excuse from Buffalo fans with Miller. No ones buying high on him

Reactions: domaug

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Howards had, like, two bad seasons and even then he wasn't awful. He's pretty consistently been around the league average - sometimes better, sometimes a bit worse. He's been pretty consistently solid since 2015-2016, though.
While that is true its just so rare to see goalies traded as rentals let alone get a 1st. I cant think of a team which would want a goalie. The canes need a upgrade but who takes darling off their hands and they only deal for Howard if they are in a playoff spot at the deadline. Rebuilding teams wont deal a 1st for a goalie. Maybe the pens if they wanted to get a goalie to challange Murray come playoffs pay a conditional 1st, oh and maybe the flames would have interest in at the deadline since goaltending is their weakest facet.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018

The value comes into play if a contender (late 1st) needs a starter (Jimmy H) to make a serious playoff push.
Jimmy Howard is an NHL starter. His image as a sub-par tender comes from an injury prone groin.
Another thing to consider is that Ken Holland may accept a 2nd round pick but has to publicly state he wants a 1st; to inflate Howards value.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Plenty of teams need an upgrade in net. I think it's worth it to hold out.
But the upgrade would only be for 16-18 games based on people saying it goes down on trade deadline. If they are dealing howard they shouldndo it now with more games left so he can have a greater impact on season and be able to get more value imo

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Andersen-Howard would be a fantastic upgrade over Andersen-Sparks, 1st round pick though is a laughable request.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
It's simple, the Wings like Howard and he is having a fantastic season. Add that to teams like Philly, Calgary and St. Louis all desperate need of a good #1, and the fact Detroit will just hold hom and resign him. That's why the high ask. Detroit rather just keep him then sell him for scraps. Having him keep us in games and not have our youth getting victimized by constant blow outs is worth more then a 3rd or less.

Reactions: gbdet and Hronek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad