Pre-Game Talk: Wings vs. Nucks 10/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I think he is going to use analysis and try to fix it. Unfortunately I don't have much confidence that he is capable of doing so at this time.

His system seems misguided. NHL players just don't let you skate the puck around.
He seems to be very concerned with getting everybody ice time regardless of whether or not it is deserved.

He seemed to reward Smith for failure by rewarding him with PP time.

None of his adjustments, line combos, or match ups seem to make any substantial improvement.

He had "Greatness is a daily choice" painted on the wall in the locker room. If you think about it that is an incredibly ****ing pretentious thing to do. Does he actually believe that? Because if he does that means he believes he has made that choice on a daily basis and by extension he believes he has himself achieved greatness. If not he is placing a shiny example of his own failure in front of the players every day.

What a petty, ridiculous thing for which to criticize him.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
on another topic, why does fox sports Detroit insist on chris osgood being the color guy when the guys in the studio are 10x better at it?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
well what you are using isn't 'acutal game analysis' strictly speaking. more of an inference based on experience.

If wins and losses over the period of years isn't actual game analysis, then what is? Shot differential over 7 games seems fair game, though. Alright.

Even the new guys like Green and Richards, I'm very familiar with their body of work. Particularly Richards. He'll be better than he's shown and his long career supports that, despite what people are saying now.

Actual Thought*

some of your points, I sort of agree but ... I dont know if I'm being honest, I think you are nitpicking too much such as 'greatness is daily choice' thing. I think you are reading too much into it. just my opinion.

we will see though. hopefully you are wrong and he succeeds? ;)

I wholeheartedly agree. Nobody would be happier to be proven wrong than I would. Personally I would rather he was thoughtful enough to realize how pretentious that quote is coming from him. I can see it working with kids that look up to him. I just don't think he is qualified to be informing guys like Zetterberg about greatness. Maybe it is nitpicking but I think it wreaks of pretentiousness.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
A coach using a motivational quote is pretentious?

Give me a break, already.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I wholeheartedly agree. Nobody would be happier to be proven wrong than I would. Personally I would rather he was thoughtful enough to realize how pretentious that quote is coming from him. I can see it working with kids that look up to him. I just don't think he is qualified to be informing guys like Zetterberg about greatness. Maybe it is nitpicking but I think it wreaks of pretentiousness.

You're nitpicking. And all those sports quotes are pretty silly, but it helps to have a simple message that unites the team. However, I've created my own that I think the Red Wings should adopt.

"Greatness is achieved through hard work. Every single day. Unless you're not that great to begin with, then you're just trying to be pretty good. And come on, rest days are important, too. But you still have to try really hard because that's important in sports and after all why are you even here if you're not going to put int he effort to earn your million dollar paycheck. I mean, seriously, what more motivation do you need? Anyway, some of you are great already so you probably don't need motivational quotes. You can stop reading now. But for the rest of you, you need to give it 110%. Well, unless that's not possible, because 100% is your theoretical limit and even then how can we demand that over an 82 game season with such a physically demanding sport? And isn't this sport kind of silly, like, we're just chasing around a little rubber English muffin while there's so many terrible things happening in the world? Maybe we should do a humanitarian trip to help out some of the refuges with all our money and influence, ****, make a difference int he world you know? That sounds like a lot of work though so let's just give um hell and get er done. Let's get this party started. Don't stop believing."

Going to be hard to put that on a t-shirt, but I think it's pretty good.

Actual Thought*

What a petty, ridiculous thing for which to criticize him.

Petty? Maybe. I personally believe pretentiousness speaks to one's character. In any case I am going to take Yemack's approach from here. I am going to try to look at Blashill's performance on a game by game basis. So far it has been poor. We will see what happens tonight.

Actual Thought*

You're nitpicking. And all those sports quotes are pretty silly, but it helps to have a simple message that unites the team. However, I've created my own that I think the Red Wings should adopt.

"Greatness is achieved through hard work. Every single day. Unless you're not that great to begin with, then you're just trying to be pretty good. And come on, rest days are important, too. But you still have to try really hard because that's important in sports and after all why are you even here if you're not going to put int he effort to earn your million dollar paycheck. I mean, seriously, what more motivation do you need? Anyway, some of you are great already so you probably don't need motivational quotes. You can stop reading now. But for the rest of you, you need to give it 110%. Well, unless that's not possible, because 100% is your theoretical limit and even then how can we demand that over an 82 game season with such a physically demanding sport? And isn't this sport kind of silly, like, we're just chasing around a little rubber English muffin while there's so many terrible things happening in the world? Maybe we should do a humanitarian trip to help out some of the refuges with all our money and influence, ****, make a difference int he world you know? That sounds like a lot of work though so let's just give um hell and get er done. Let's get this party started. Don't stop believing."

Going to be hard to put that on a t-shirt, but I think it's pretty good.
They may have to cut Green so they can afford the overtime for the painters but I like it. Catchy!;)

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
If wins and losses over the period of years isn't actual game analysis, then what is? Shot differential over 7 games seems fair game, though. Alright.

Even the new guys like Green and Richards, I'm very familiar with their body of work. Particularly Richards. He'll be better than he's shown and his long career supports that, despite what people are saying now.

I guess I should have clarified what I meant as 'actual game analysis'. I meant it as zone entry success failure, what the other teams have done well to neutralize our attack/create turn over, where the shots are taken and what lead to those shots... that sort of more game to game hard data stuffs. I apologize for not clarifying it.

again, I dont exactly share you optimism that water will find its level. We've seen in pro sports, team under/over perform under various circumstances. and we dont really know what we have in Blashill just yet. so that's the reason I'm not gong to make any final say in any shape or form right now.

Aug 6, 2012
Thought this bs would be left over in the the other thread, oh well.

Too bad for Richards that he's on IR, but definitely a plus for the team. Tatar had probably his best game last night playing with Larkin. Really anybody plays well with Larkin.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They may have to cut Green so they can afford the overtime for the painters but I like it. Catchy!;)

Alternatively, we could always go with a Nietzsche quote. Something to help them come to grips with their failures as a team and the inevitable decline of their human form.

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."

Now get out there and make some plays, boys.

Actual Thought*

Thought this bs would be left over in the the other thread, oh well.

Too bad for Richards that he's on IR, but definitely a plus for the team. Tatar had probably his best game last night playing with Larkin. Really anybody plays well with Larkin.

The kid has far exceeded my expectations.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007

I had no doubt you would be.

as for the slogan, I haven't really put that much thought into it so I dont really know. it's just that I found it not much different than what was written before it. 'to whom much is given...'.

Also I truly believe Blashill actually believes in daily greatness. one thing I wont question about him after 7 games is his preparedness and focusing doing great things every day. It kinda matches his demeanor and what he says. well actually I already knew he really believed in something like that just from some of his quotes during AHL head coaching job.

but you could have greatest motivational **** on the locker and it wouldn't matter if we dont get W tonight.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Alternatively, we could always go with a Nietzsche quote. Something to help them come to grips with their failures as a team and the inevitable decline of their human form.

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."

Now get out there and make some plays, boys.

Could also go with one of those mind expanding question quotes.

"If the a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound?"

"What is the sound of one hand clapping?"

"Alright, go get em' boys."

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I think he is going to use analysis and try to fix it. Unfortunately I don't have much confidence that he is capable of doing so at this time.

His system seems misguided. NHL players just don't let you skate the puck around.
He seems to be very concerned with getting everybody ice time regardless of whether or not it is deserved.

He seemed to reward Smith for failure by rewarding him with PP time.

None of his adjustments, line combos, or match ups seem to make any substantial improvement.

He had "Greatness is a daily choice" painted on the wall in the locker room. If you think about it that is an incredibly ****ing pretentious thing to do. Does he actually believe that? Because if he does that means he believes he has made that choice on a daily basis and by extension he believes he has himself achieved greatness. If not he is placing a shiny example of his own failure in front of the players every day.

who doesn't deserve the ice time? Nyquist or Tatar? they need to get going, Glenden needs to be out their for shutdown. That Larkin kid seems pretty good to me. His line gets going everytime hes out there.

Oh no and look what happened when Smith got on the PP, a goal, regardless of it being a deflection or not. goal = goal. If you counter that, ill just say that Babcock choosing Howard over Gus when Gus was winning almost all of his games, or at least getting a point while howard was tossing them away was a better choice.

None of his line combos? Larkin, Pulu line seems good to me. Kronner and Green 100x better then Kronner and Ericsson.

wow he must be a garbage coach to say that.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Am I missing something? 3-3-1 over a 7 game stretch isn't the end of the world. It's the NHL, teams like Edmonton, Carolina, and Calgary can beat you any night. There's a new coach, they're missing their best forward, injuries keep juggling the defensive pairings, and they still have points in the majority of those games. There are teams Detroit should beat that they won't, and there's going to be games that look bleak but they'll win anyways. I think tonight will be one of those. Calm down guys.

Not like you don't know but there are members here, Red Wings fans(???) who dislike this team from top to bottom. Our GM, coach, scouts, veterans and prospects. They're all garbage, trash, burning dumpster fires. According to some Kronwall sucks at hockey and not one of the other 5 D we ice are fit to play in the NHL. DeKeyser sucks. Tatar and Nyquist are worthless. D and Z are too old to have any effect or lead this team. These people demand we win and are probably happy when we lose because it justifies their outlandish, warped hatred for the Wings.

Not like it effects me but I can't imagine watching my favorite team with such vitriol and negativity. Blind hatred takes away from the simple enjoyment of the game and any valuable discussion of it. Can't some of you kick back and appreciate the phenomenal skill of the greatest ice hockey players on earth?

If you'd actually watch it was fairly exciting and both teams played well enough.

Again there were positive aspects of the Wings games to consider going into Vancouver. Helm was better (remember he had 0 training camp or pre-season), DeKeyser improved as the game went on. Smith played descent. Tatar had a much better showing, he was competing like he's capable of. Way smarter plays, some possession in the offensive zone and more pucks sent toward the net. Howard played spectacular- I think Mrazek has helped him greatly. Folks we lead 2-1 until the last minutes but just couldn't withstand Calgary's desperation. There were a few plays and a couple sharp, hard passes that startled me last night and reminded me how much respect I have for these guys and Detroit's rich history.

I hope the Wings come out tonight with some anger and take it out on the Canucks. Lets silence the noise and get back home with 3 of 6 points.

Oct 18, 2006
Cannot believe the mindset of some people. Hating on Blash, thinking we're doomed, my goodness settle down. We're 7 games into the season and SEVENTY-FIVE remain. Let that sink in. Have we played poorly? Without question. Does Blash need to work on some issues? Absolutely. But to think we're stuffed and he needs to go, what ludicrous thinking honestly. Have some faith and get a grip.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I was thinking something similar. Richards hadn't brought much to the team, so far (I know, new team, early in the season, etc.).

Holland needs to stop this kind of signing: Modano, Alfredsson, Richards... Such a waste of cap space.

Alfredsson lead the team in points and likely gave them the push they needed to even make the playoffs. They made the playoffs by 3 points that year, winning 1 more game than Washington. And were a -8 goal differential.

Every little bit helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad