GDT: Wings vs Devils

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Another one of those games where the young guys really tear up and its hard to be mad. Larkin is over a point per game, Cholowski had 2 points, Rasmussen another goal and looked good again plus Nyquist point means more trade value.

Hes clearing the crease like any dman should, that rarely gets called and Palmieri on offense got Daley worse at the exact same time and no call. Thats why Daley got up and punched him in the head
Yeah I saw that one on Daley. I mean if your gonna get Ericsson why not call out Palmieri too.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah I saw that one on Daley. I mean if your gonna get Ericsson why not call out Palmieri too.

It sure seems like refs are more likely to call that on lower pairing defensive Dmen. Chara can go to town on someone and it's just good physical play. Ericsson does it and it's a penalty.

(I realize Ericsson is not actually playing as a bottom pairing guy but on a good team I think he's effectively a #5 Dman).

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It sure seems like refs are more likely to call that on lower pairing defensive Dmen. Chara can go to town on someone and it's just good physical play. Ericsson does it and it's a penalty.

(I realize Ericsson is not actually playing as a bottom pairing guy but on a good team I think he's effectively a #5 Dman).

There are always inconsistencies with this stuff in my opinion. Zetterberg got away with murder a lot of nights with what he was doing with his stick away from the puck. So it isn't like I haven't seen star players on our team get this benefit.

RoyalDoubleMcCheesie

Aug 31, 2008
You know what win or lose as long as they play entertaining hockey like this I am all good.

But so glad to see Ras go back to back games with a goal and getting more physical in the game as well.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York

It's also worth noting that it can be a different ref on a different game having a different day... They're not robots programmed with the same identical code here. They can have different nights where they might be more uptight or loose... All kinds of factors... We get both ends of the stick. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Sounds like it was a fun game to watch - first game of the year I've not been able to see, I just followed along here reading y'all's comments along the way. Nice to hear Larkin had another solid/dominant effort. I've seen a handfull of NJ games this year and they look like a really fast and good team, so this is a pretty darn good win for us. Going back to the Winnipeg game, we've been playing some solid, hard working hockey and the kids are really starting to run with the larger roles they're being given.

Looking at the box score I have a few questions for those who watched...

at 19:56 of the 3rd period NJ was given a bench minor for unsportsmanlike conduct (abusive language). Anyone know what was said or by whom?
What happened with Luke's fight? Sounds like he got the best of him, but what happened to make Luke fight?
Nice night for us on the faceoffs, Larkin 16W 10L; Luke 12W 10L and props to Megan on his 5-1 night and Matha's 100 FO percentage (1-0)
Sounds like Schneider had a solid game for NJ, I'd like to see him get back to form, last season must have been a night mare for him.

Thanks for the constant updates as the game went on, you all aren't Ken and Mick, but you're not too shabby. :thumbu:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sounds like it was a fun game to watch - first game of the year I've not been able to see, I just followed along here reading y'all's comments along the way. Nice to hear Larkin had another solid/dominant effort. I've seen a handfull of NJ games this year and they look like a really fast and good team, so this is a pretty darn good win for us. Going back to the Winnipeg game, we've been playing some solid, hard working hockey and the kids are really starting to run with the larger roles they're being given.

Looking at the box score I have a few questions for those who watched...

at 19:56 of the 3rd period NJ was given a bench minor for unsportsmanlike conduct (abusive language). Anyone know what was said or by whom?
What happened with Luke's fight? Sounds like he got the best of him, but what happened to make Luke fight?
Nice night for us on the faceoffs, Larkin 16W 10L; Luke 12W 10L and props to Megan on his 5-1 night and Matha's 100 FO percentage (1-0)
Sounds like Schneider had a solid game for NJ, I'd like to see him get back to form, last season must have been a night mare for him.

Thanks for the constant updates as the game went on, you all aren't Ken and Mick, but you're not too shabby. :thumbu:

Devils coach was awfully upset, guessing it was on him. I think still about the interference call on Larkin from earlier, but Hynes seems upset whenever they were showing the Devils bench all night.

Luke got cross-checked in the face while there was a jam play near the goalie. He responded and floored Mueller who in his defense I am not sure had much of a chance in that tilt.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
There are always inconsistencies with this stuff in my opinion. Zetterberg got away with murder a lot of nights with what he was doing with his stick away from the puck. So it isn't like I haven't seen star players on our team get this benefit.
To be clear I wasn't saying it was unfair against the Wings. I agree with you about Zetterberg and that's kind of my point. I think a lot of nights a player like him gets more leeway than a 4th liner.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Just watched a Sportsnet recap on YouTube. Impressive stuff. It's like a new team emerging these past few games. Here I was thinking Blashill was sucking life out of the roster.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just watched a Sportsnet recap on YouTube. Impressive stuff. It's like a new team emerging these past few games. Here I was thinking Blashill was sucking life out of the roster.

His message is landing with the most important part of our future on the roster at least.

“It’s a tough task but I do think there is an opportunity there to capitalize on offense,” Larkin said. “These top lines, they don’t want to play defense, they want an easy night and they want how we were feeling in the first with pucks bouncing and you’re flying on rushes. If you play below the puck and you’re above people, like Blash says all the time, and maybe it’s been four years where he’s been beating it on me and I’m just realizing it now — it's the right way. And these players don’t want to play like that, so there is opportunity there playing against these guys where you are going to be in the offensive zone and playing with the puck a lot.”

Why Detroit Red Wings' Dylan Larkin is such a 'special player'

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I always found it ironic that so many on these boards like to call out players for whining. Holy hell...

Because it's annoying and frustrating when other teams do it to draw calls and it's embarrassing when your own team's players do it

And it discredits the integrity of the sport

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad