GDT: Wings vs Devils

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Then you don't remember it or only remember late 90s Yzerman. He was league known as a cry baby early on.
According to who?

I've been watching Yzerman since he joined the Wings and have no memory of that.

He complained about calls for sure, especially later in his career but he was a pretty quiet player early on.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
According to who?

I've been watching Yzerman since he joined the Wings and have no memory of that.

He complained about calls for sure, especially later in his career but he was a pretty quiet player early on.

The same way Crosby was a crybaby. Young star comes into league and looks like a diva to some when they protest anything. That first impression sticks with people, particularly in hockey, where the culture has traditionally shunned all things flashy and arrogant. Remember, Ovechkin was too much of a showboat for the average good ol' Canadian, too. He jumped off the glass after a goal - can you imagine that disgrace? For shame, Ovie!

There were questions of Yzerman's character early on. Same with Modano. And basically any offensive star that has a personality, lights up the scoreboard, but don't immediately find themselves on a championship roster.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I am paying these players to play hockey not jump around and perform like carnival sideshows.

People need to stop demanding to be entertained with more and more outrageous acts. Just watch and appreciate the skill and beauty of the game for what it is and was always meant to be.

I do not ever want it to change. It's not the tradition or the culture.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The same way Crosby was a crybaby. Young star comes into league and looks like a diva to some when they protest anything. That first impression sticks with people, particularly in hockey, where the culture has traditionally shunned all things flashy and arrogant. Remember, Ovechkin was too much of a showboat for the average good ol' Canadian, too. He jumped off the glass after a goal - can you imagine that disgrace? For shame, Ovie!

There were questions of Yzerman's character early on. Same with Modano. And basically any offensive star that has a personality, lights up the scoreboard, but don't immediately find themselves on a championship roster.
I'm just saying that contradicts my memory of his early career as well as anything I remember being talked about or written about Yzerman. And it's not like there was hfboards back then for people to complain about it. So I'm not sure where that impression was from.

He was so quiet people mistook him for a quiet sweet personality and often underplayed how fiercely competitive Yzerman was. But I don't remember any talk anywhere of Yzerman being a crybaby when he came into the league. Or even Detroit beat writers defending him on that front. In short I think it's not accurate.

In terms of questions of his character I would argue they weren't early on. Early on is when he was basically the entire Wings offense. It wasn't until the mid 90s when that talk started, when he actually had a team around him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad