GDT: Wings vs Devils

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I remember reading that.

Yzerman didn't hestate to let his opinion be known, especially later in his career. But Paul Stewart is also kind of a moron and had a lot of personal beefs with players. His hate for Lindros was pretty legendary.

It may just be semantics but Yzerman was not a bigger whiner than Crosby. I don't consider whining to be simply arguing calls. It's in how you do it. Early in his career Crosby's complaining came close to tantrums. Yzerman didn't complain as much as Crosby early on and when he did complain to refs he'd be in their ear but he was rarely pitching a fit.

That being said I also don't think Crosby is particularly a whiner. He deserved that label early in his career and it stuck.

There was a game against Nashville late in Yzerman's career where he was ejected for complaining so much. This is what leaders need to do to stand up for themselves and their team. Gretzky was also called a whiner during his career.

Recaps

Yzerman complained, and was given his second misconduct, and a game misconduct, ending his night with 34 penalty minutes.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
As an American who lives in canada, is this a joke?

Dude ease up, clearly it's a joke #MessingwithPeople

Don't get all high and mighty either like no one else has experience with Canadian culture just cause you live there. Like no one else here has family or has ever lived in Canada.... NO ONE!

I mean really the fellas across the bridge only whine so much, drive up the river way into Quebec and wow... lol ;)

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
There was a game against Nashville late in Yzerman's career where he was ejected for complaining so much. This is what leaders need to do to stand up for themselves and their team. Gretzky was also called a whiner during his career.

Recaps

Skip to 3:20 for the event in question.

Also can we get over Crosby already? It's been almost a decade since we last saw him in the playoffs.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Dude ease up, clearly it's a joke #MessingwithPeople

Don't get all high and mighty either like no one else has experience with Canadian culture just cause you live there. Like no one else here has family or has ever lived in Canada.... NO ONE!

I mean really the fellas across the bridge only whine so much, drive up the river way into Quebec and wow... lol ;)

High and mighty?

I was merely suggesting as an American that's not a fight/debate we can win against them as a whole.

Also trying to prevent it from turning into an arguement

That's all

Easy now

Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
High and mighty?

I was merely suggesting as an American that's not a fight/debate we can win against them as a whole.

Also trying to prevent it from turning into an arguement

That's all

Easy now

I'll quit poking the bear I don't even mean anything by anything I said about that. Just teasing a little.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
RE: "Whining to Refs"

I'm not sure why people get so demeaning and condescending about it. I've always recognized that we are taking the most competitive people on the planet. Seriously, look at some of the names being tossed around: Gretzky, Crosby, Messier, Yzerman. These guys were all know to have an ultra high compete level and the "whining" is just a reflection of that. They are fighting for every opportunity they can.

Further, these guys were captains/leaders on their respective teams. It is literally part of their job to engage with the referee.

Honestly, when I play mens league, I hate it. We are all here for fun, Beer league refs make like 40 bucks a game, my expectations aren't very high.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
RE: "Whining to Refs"

I'm not sure why people get so demeaning and condescending about it. I've always recognized that we are taking the most competitive people on the planet. Seriously, look at some of the names being tossed around: Gretzky, Crosby, Messier, Yzerman. These guys were all know to have an ultra high compete level and the "whining" is just a reflection of that. They are fighting for every opportunity they can.

Honestly, when I play mens league, I hate it. We are all here for fun, Beer league refs make like 40 bucks a game, my expectations aren't very high.

I mean, look at every single pass in NFL and college football. If a defender is within breathing distance of the defender and the guy doesn't catch the ball, what do they do? Wave emphatically that they were interfered with. Sometimes it even draws a flag when none would have arrived. Even if you don't get the call 99 out of 100 times, you prod the official to try to get it the 100th.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Yzerman had a lot to "whine" about, with all the times Homer was called for nearing the crease.....maybe crossing it a couple of times.

Last edited:

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
And then there was a captain like Lidstrom who never showed emotion. Is showing emotion inspiring? Or annoying? There are different types of leaders. Personally I’d like to see Larkin take less penalties first and foremost, and save the emotional ‘whining’ for the real egregious calls. I always thought it was cool to have a captain like Lidstrom that was a stone cold lead by example type leader.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Recaps
Oh I remember that game well. :laugh: The refs completely lost control of the game.

How many minutes in penalties did he end up with again??

EDIT: looks like 34 minutes in penalties. All unsportsmanlike misconducts.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
They'll lose plenty of games this year. Probably win a couple of our next few and start tapering off a little bit, we had a really hard first 10 games and a really soft second 10.
Frankly, there were a couple games in the first 10 where we probably should have won or at least gotten a point. So many posts. So many wide open nets we missed.

This is just luck evening itself out. It's gonna happen. We're gonna be bottom 5 still. Just hoping to be bottom 1.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Frankly, there were a couple games in the first 10 where we probably should have won or at least gotten a point. So many posts. So many wide open nets we missed.

This is just luck evening itself out. It's gonna happen. We're gonna be bottom 5 still. Just hoping to be bottom 1.

Yeah, the wings are a bad team, but they were never really as bad as they looked for the first 6-7 games or whatever it was.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Ideally we get the #1OA, but finish 1pt. short of a WC position..if that's possible? While also selling off #'s: 14, 35, 83, 3, 26?, etc...

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

Recaps

Yzerman always complained about calls against him, and often times he'd be in the penalty box fuming and shouting to the refs. I remember him tossing towels over the penalty box cameras. I loved when Stevie got riled like that.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
While also selling off #'s: 14, 35, 83, 3, 26?, etc...
Looking for Daley, Green, Nyquist, to be traded. I think we get decent returns for those guys. Nyquist is still decently young and having a good year. Green and Daley are seasoned veterans who can still play and are good for any playoff team's depth charts. Vanek maybe? Didn't he not get anything last year? He's not off to a hot start either but maybe he can turn it around.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
After these last few games, Ras is definitely looking more at home and Cholo is still looking comfortable.

What do yall think is the possibility of them combining for 50+ points? 60+ points?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Skip to 3:20 for the event in question.

Also can we get over Crosby already? It's been almost a decade since we last saw him in the playoffs.

I remember being at a game where Yzerman fought a young Matt Cooke without his tie down on. He was whining the whole game before he finally had it before that. Kudos to the Captain for already identifying and not putting up with that reckless cheapskate. It is a part of the game and yes Larkin is a whiner the same way most captains are whiners. Heck it is another one of the reasons I think Larkin is going to be a good captain. :laugh:

I think people are forgetting this because of the stoic leadership we have had around lately in terms of Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Shanny and Yzerman were fiery guys if the situation called for it, especially when the Wings were still earning respect and hadn't won yet. There was a long time before 06' Stevie and even that guy was complaining in the Edmonton series... And I loved it, as far as I was concerned and I am sure his teammates felt he was never wrong. What do people think, what they beg and barter, they yell at the screen, is incredibly different than guys with more skin in the game? Yeah, I totally understand when these guys are losing their minds.

Last edited:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Bwah? :huh:

There have definitely been Red Wings that have chirped. And players that have gotten away with an annoying amount of nonsense away from the puck. (Maltby comes to mind.) But if Yzerman ever pulled the, "Aww, c'mon ref!" card as much as Crosby, I don't remember it.
Then you don't remember it or only remember late 90s Yzerman. He was league known as a cry baby early on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad