News Article: Wings vs Devils: Watch FREE at NHL.com 7pm

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
What a shitty f***ing shift that is. Allow a one-timer in the slot. Then cough it up for another shot in the slot. Then finish it off with a minor penalty?

Terrible shift from Z and Nyquist

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not a pretty game but a rocksolid team effort against a very good team so far. I like.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That is a really bad shift out of those guys after making the game almost out of reach. Basically the only way you could pump life into them was to take a dumb penalty and they did.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
So uhh..are we sure we want to trade Mrazek?

Maybe he's found his game? I know to qualify him it'll cost us 4 mil..but, he's young, he's competitive, he's athletic. I know, he's inconsistent, I just don't know if getting rid of him is the best idea. I think he still has potential to be a good starter.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
The refs didn't see it on the Ice so they initially called no goal, but reversed it on a review
So what the f*** were they lookin at besides the play that's in front of them? Mesmerized by Larkin's sick fake huh?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Those aren't his only issues.
Lack of speed, lack of reach, lack of strength are also issues.

I disagree. Just had a nice takeaway along the boards in his last shift. He's also easily faster than Kronwall or Ericsson. Speed hasn't been an issue so far.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Maybe he's found his game? I know to qualify him it'll cost us 4 mil..but, he's young, he's competitive, he's athletic. I know, he's inconsistent, I just don't know if getting rid of him is the best idea. I think he still has potential to be a good starter.
I wish we had the capspace where this is a complete non-issue and we say "of course we can dump 4 mill to qualify a young goaltender with big potential."

Cap space is an issue though. A big one. We've got a lot of good young players due for their next contracts in the next 2 years.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
So what the **** were they lookin at besides the play that's in front of them? Mesmerized by Larkin's sick fake huh?

They were probably looking at the play but didn't see it because it's a small rubber disk traveling at 70mph

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I disagree. Just had a nice takeaway along the boards in his last shift. He's also easily faster than Kronwall or Ericsson. Speed hasn't been an issue so far.

He is a little faster than a one legged Kronwall and a 6'5" guy that is going to be tasked with helping make up for his size issues by being his partner.... Also he doesn't have Ericsson's top gear not that Big E goes to it all that often but yes he actually has a higher skating gear than Hicketts in my opinion.

Good debut though he has things to work on. But I like that he played with confidence, it is one of his trademarks. But teams are going to watch that and tell them there are opportunities to have him on the offensive blueline and use his reach against him behind the net and around the dots with good body position. Keep in mind New Jersey didn't spend much time breaking him down entering the game more than likely.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

"he's just really square to the shooter."

How often have we heard that from a color analyst the past couple of seasons?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Guy is the same age today as Howard was when he became an NHL starter.

I wouldn't trade him unless I was getting a very good return -- and few teams are going to pay for him right now -- in part because the Red Wings organization has slandered him in the local media to create questions about his character.

But the best reason not to trade Mrazek right now is because you're moving an asset when his value is lowest.

That's generally a pisspoor way to conduct business.

it costs you virtually nothing to play him from to the deadline and see if you can improve his value.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Hicketts I'd say has had a pretty decent debut. I'd give him a B since it's 1st game. Pretty good with Turgeon killing penalties.

Reactions: Winger98

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I wish we had the capspace where this is a complete non-issue and we say "of course we can dump 4 mill to qualify a young goaltender with big potential."

Cap space is an issue though. A big one. We've got a lot of good young players due for their next contracts in the next 2 years.

So move the more expensive goalie whose trade value isn't too bad right now.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

True, I just think it could come back to haunt us. I also have no idea what management's plans are if we trade him. Ride Jimmy for 2 more years and then what? Hope we hit a homerun with Larsson or Petruzelli? Seems risky.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Guy is the same age today as Howard was when he became an NHL starter.

I wouldn't trade him unless I was getting a very good return -- and few teams are going to pay for him right now -- in part because the Red Wings organization has slandered him in the local media to create questions about his character.

But the best reason not to trade Mrazek right now is because you're moving an asset when his value is lowest.

That's generally a pisspoor way to conduct business.

it costs you virtually nothing to play him from to the deadline and see if you can improve his value.

Yeah but we need to roll with him for a bit now and see what happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00