GDT: Wings vs chi 2/20/19 7:30 pm est nbcsn

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Well we tied it up for another useless point. Nice to see AA and Larkin lighting it up though.

Cant complain about that point when it was because of an absolutely dominant night from the top line of young guys. Larkin Mantha and Bertuzzi were almost 80% corsi. Larkin on the ice the wings had 16 shots on goal to Chicagos 3. Mantha and Bertuzzi were both 18-4 at 5 on 5, at even strength Mantha was 21-4. Larkin was 74% on draws and all of those stats were mostly matched up against Toews.

Glad they didnt get the extra point but cant complain about it with a showing like that from the young guys

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Yeah I'll echo what some others have said and say that this is probably what the Red Wings brass means when they say they want to maintain a winning culture. We suck, but the kids don't let that get to them. You can see that their desire to win is there. They compete hard most nights and on nights like tonight they make it tough and show that they belong. I truly believe this kind of 'winning culture' is something teams like Edmonton and Florida don't have, and is a big part of why they've been so bad for so long, despite numerous high draft picks and good players going in and out of those teams.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Abby adding that all important veteran presence with his 9 minutes of ice time, zero shots on goal and a -1.

Yeah Abby having a bad season. I've always been a supporter of his and love his physical game. But he needs to step it up. He's a 15/20 goal guy and 30/40 point guy, but not having a successful season. I hope he turns it around next season.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yeah I'll echo what some others have said and say that this is probably what the Red Wings brass means when they say they want to maintain a winning culture. We suck, but the kids don't let that get to them. You can see that their desire to win is there. They compete hard most nights and on nights like tonight they make it tough and show that they belong. I truly believe this kind of 'winning culture' is something teams like Edmonton and Florida don't have, and is a big part of why they've been so bad for so long, despite numerous high draft picks and good players going in and out of those teams.

Exactly right. Spot on.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah Abby having a bad season. I've always been a supporter of his and love his physical game. But he needs to step it up. He's a 15/20 goal guy and 30/40 point guy, but not having a successful season. I hope he turns it around next season.
I think it's bigger than a bad season. He constantly looks like he's chasing the play.

I hope he turns it around too because the Wings are stuck with him for 4 more seasons. But it's not looking good at this point.

Reactions: Grimm

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
The problem I see with Abby is IMO, great locker room/character guy. Sure he has veteran presence and can mentor after learning from some of our past legends but... He can't skate, can't shoot, often ends up the only player on the ice during a collision along the boards.. doesn't really fight anymore.

We are stuck with him... Either drop weight and focus on skating so you can contribute in some form.. or hit the damn weight room and get bigger and be the tough physical presence. He trys to do a little of everything and the problem is, he isn't remotely good at any of them besides getting goaltender interference calls .

Reactions: Grimm

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
Love seeing a game like tonight. Great production from exactly who I want to see it from lol.

The only way you can get him out of Detroit is put a weight room and dumbbells wherever he goes. He is allergic to body building

It’s almost jarring to see how frail Dekeyser looks. He’s built like a high school student. If you farted next to him he’d blow over.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Larkins line generated 15 scoring chances for, and only gave up two against. That might have been the most dominant game one of our lines has had in years

Half of those were high danger chances too

Reactions: newfy and Sentinel

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
Abdelkader is a giant waste of space. IMO since his marriage, contract, and the Brower fight he's been a shell of his former self at least physically. Certainly doesn't seem to care as long as he's got that fat paycheck now. He cannot score unless he is glued to a top line banging in rebound garbage. He really barely hits anymore. And he really barely fights anymore. And when he does he's not very good anyways or bails.

Worst contract in the NHL?

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Tirico was awesome as a play by play guy. Is this his first call? Sounds like he put his research in.

I'd be curious to hear how game number 72 of the season sounds like....:naughty:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Abdelkader is a giant waste of space. IMO since his marriage, contract, and the Brower fight he's been a shell of his former self at least physically. Certainly doesn't seem to care as long as he's got that fat paycheck now. He cannot score unless he is glued to a top line banging in rebound garbage. He really barely hits anymore. And he really barely fights anymore. And when he does he's not very good anyways or bails.

He also had his first kid in September. Yeah, he probably doesn't care about hockey anymore. He needs to be waived. He'll do more good in Grand Rapids. Same with Helm.

Reactions: Grimm and Sentinel

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I still think Abby has a health issue. He is a totally different player this season. He used to be useful even if his production wasn't there. This season nothing's there.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
We have been in the east a couple years but I still hate teams from the West more. Chicago is one of them.

Reactions: Konnan511

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

Lucic contract is worse

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
What an exciting game. I liked everything but the loser point. Larkin was flying as usual. That may have been Mantha's best game this year, he is finally putting some points on the board. AA flying again. AA is on a 35 goal pace right now which is incredible. He won't get there because he missed some games, but if he can stay hot and hit 30 this year, that will be huge.

Larkin well on his way to become our first 30 goal scorer in a decade. If these 3 can play like that consistently, we may not be THAT far off of being relevant again. That is a big if though. Larkin comes to play every night, if Mantha and AA play like that all the time, we will be a tough team to beat.

Reactions: Sentinel

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Jimmy has been pulled in 2 of 3 starts. Not a good look for TDL. Dwindling save percentage of .879 in last seven.
What I noticed that we have big defenseman, Green, Kroner, Ericsson, who like to block view for our goalie.. And it's probably not their fault ,but coaching, who aren't very good

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
What an exciting game. I liked everything but the loser point. Larkin was flying as usual. That may have been Mantha's best game this year, he is finally putting some points on the board. AA flying again. AA is on a 35 goal pace right now which is incredible. He won't get there because he missed some games, but if he can stay hot and hit 30 this year, that will be huge.

Larkin well on his way to become our first 30 goal scorer in a decade. If these 3 can play like that consistently, we may not be THAT far off of being relevant again. That is a big if though. Larkin comes to play every night, if Mantha and AA play like that all the time, we will be a tough team to beat.

The difference with Mantha is night and day from his slower games and the two against Philly and this one. Whatever lit the fire under his ass to dominate the game needs to be harnessed by Blashill and used nightly. The killer instinct from the first Philly game, the scoring chances created off his shot in the second game, and then what he did last night...that level of play would put him among the league's best power forwards.

Mantha's play last night screamed Blake Wheeler to me.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
How was Nyquist?

Pretty bland game for every player that didn't play with Larkin and/or Mantha. Nyquist had a few missed opportunities, but largely the difference between the first line + first powerplay unit and everyone else was staggering.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Also, I know this might be an unpopular opinion around here, but the coaching staff has really impressed me this season.

Me too, glad Blashill found a way to get this team to the cellar to get that high pick we need. Hopefully once we get more talent he'll be able to actually show us that he can win some games, since he hasn't had the personnel to do it yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad