GDT: Wings vs chi 2/20/19 7:30 pm est nbcsn

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Love seeing a game like tonight. Great production from exactly who I want to see it from lol.

It’s almost jarring to see how frail Dekeyser looks. He’s built like a high school student. If you farted next to him he’d blow over.
He's basically a tall soccer mom. Plays like it too. He should never be used as anything more than a 3rd pair defenseman.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Larkins line generated 15 scoring chances for, and only gave up two against. That might have been the most dominant game one of our lines has had in years

Half of those were high danger chances too
Yeah, this is why some of us have been pushing for a youth movement since Lidstrom retired. The NHL values youth, speed and skill. Zetterberg being forced into retirement gave Larkin a bigger role and he's grown quite impressively. The veterans and "winning culture" - whatever that means - have very little impact. It's all about playing good young players who have skill and are just entering their prime. There isn't a team in the league that values "veteran leadership" more than Detroit and it's no surprise we've been one of the worst teams in the league since Datsyuk retired. Datsyuk was a veteran who had elite talent. Once Datsyuk left Hank alone was probably sufficient from a veteran leadership standpoint.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Also, I know this might be an unpopular opinion around here, but the coaching staff has really impressed me this season.

Me too, glad Blashill found a way to get this team to the cellar to get that high pick we need. Hopefully once we get more talent he'll be able to actually show us that he can win some games, since he hasn't had the personnel to do it yet.

I actually considered making a thread about how opinions had changed about Blashill and the staff this year with the evolution of the young players.

Obviously a lot of us thing there is still gross mismanagement of the youngest of players, but if anything, we are seeing the payoff for it right now. Mantha and Athanasiou are starting to take that next step. Bertuzzi and Larkin are a different discussion because of effort level comes natural to them, but we are producing quality NHL players under the watch of Blashill & Co. Last year looked really bleak, but this year the team has a completely different persona. They don't rollover and die, they just look like they are missing pieces to get them over the final hurdle in most games. Quite literally the quote from the beginning of the year (paraphrasing) "We want to be one of the hardest teams to play against. We want to put the other teams through 60 minutes of hell" is visibly evident right now. I feel like Detroit is that team that the other teams HATE to play against because they know two things about our team, they skate hard and fast, and they don't quit.

Reactions: Larkin2AA

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Larkins line generated 15 scoring chances for, and only gave up two against. That might have been the most dominant game one of our lines has had in years

Half of those were high danger chances too

Playing mostly against Kane and Toews. They got their chances on hte PP but 5 on 5 that Larkin line definitely had one of th most fominant showings in years. What Larkin has been doing this year in head to head match ups with top centers is pretty encouraging. He Toews number tonight, hes given the Toronto tandem fits all year, hes matched up well against other guys.

Hes legit

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Playing mostly against Kane and Toews. They got their chances on hte PP but 5 on 5 that Larkin line definitely had one of th most fominant showings in years. What Larkin has been doing this year in head to head match ups with top centers is pretty encouraging. He Toews number tonight, hes given the Toronto tandem fits all year, hes matched up well against other guys.

Hes legit

nah, larkins line primarly beat up on the strome-debrincat line last night. They got a few shifts against toews and kane but blash kept them away from each other for the most part.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
nah, larkins line primarly beat up on the strome-debrincat line last night. They got a few shifts against toews and kane but blash kept them away from each other for the most part.

I missed the first period but when I was watching it seemed like most of Larkins faceoffs were coming against Toews. I dont know if theres a website to actually look at the numbers of who played against who but it would be interesting to see

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Also, I know this might be an unpopular opinion around here, but the coaching staff has really impressed me this season.
I like that Mantha & AA have broadened their games in the past 2 years (just takes time) & Larks what can I say? Br2z, Ehn, Nyq, glenny etc have looked better. I am not saying that their great, just moving in a positive direction.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Love seeing a game like tonight. Great production from exactly who I want to see it from lol.

It’s almost jarring to see how frail Dekeyser looks. He’s built like a high school student. If you farted next to him he’d blow over.
It shows what a freak of nature someone like Simmonds is. Simmond's is shorter and lighter than Dekeyser but plays like a power forward.

As I've said before, they need to get Dekeyser on the Jimmy Howard offseason diet. I know he's naturally skinny but find it hard to believe that a summer dedicated to packing in calories and bulking up wouldn't help.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
I like that Mantha & AA have broadened their games in the past 2 years (just takes time) & Larks what can I say? Br2z, Ehn, Nyq, glenny etc have looked better. I am not saying that their great, just moving in a positive direction.

Ehn has been my favorite 4th line player to watch. The kid is always working his ass off. His first couple of strides look like Larkins, which is funny.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Am I the only one shocked that after all of these years, Jimmy still has not figured out a solution to low blocker shots?

Reactions: Christien

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Just watched the game.

One of Larkin's best games yet. I know we want to try and be rational but this kid is a straight up stud lol. Best player on the ice once again.

Mantha was very good. You can tell he loves playing on that line lol.

Bert was Bert. Absolute beauty.

I thought Kronner was surprisingly good too. If he could skate he would still be really good.

Bottom line, lets get some talented defenseman to play with these kids.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Just watched the game.

One of Larkin's best games yet. I know we want to try and be rational but this kid is a straight up stud lol. Best player on the ice once again.

Mantha was very good. You can tell he loves playing on that line lol.

Bert was Bert. Absolute beauty.

I thought Kronner was surprisingly good too. If he could skate he would still be really good.

Bottom line, lets get some talented defenseman to play with these kids.

You can tell with Kronwall that he used to be a number one dman, his body is just letting him down. One point in that game he tepped up to intercept a pass and was a second too late but Kronwall of a few years ago would've had that puck going the other way for an odd man rush.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
In my opinion, we are only two elite defensemen away from being a good team. Not just a playoff team, but a team that can go places.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but I feel like most NHL teams could probably make this statement. Some teams haven't seen an "elite" defenceman in years.

But yes, if we magically added Karlsson and Josi for next season, we're a playoff team.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
How has Hronek been? Is he gonna stay in NHL the rest of the year?

He's made some complete bone head plays that are facepalm worthy, but he moves the puck well and can get his shot through. He's not good defensively. I thought for sure after the game against the Flyers (I think Flyers), he was getting sent down for the remainder of the season. Seems coaching staff is excusing some catastrophic mistakes that they normally wouldn't.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
who knows? the performance of our rookies doesnt seem to impact trashills decision to play them or not
Hey man, Hronek played more minutes than Kronwall, Green, and Daley after that gaffe that led to the initial goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad