GDT: Wings @ vegas 10:00 pm et 3/23/19

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Next years D Core is going to be fascinating

DeKeyser & Hronek are locks... Cholowski should be back up for good & Bowey is earning the right to be in that top 6.

Then we have the 3 old guys all with a year left on their deals: Green, Daley & Ericsson... Those contracts man

What happens with Kronwall too

Hopefully Stevie or whomever can deal/waive a vet or two under contract

Green will be fine. Daley will be easy to move

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Green will be fine. Daley will be easy to move
They're both on the last year of their contracts anyways, so TDL bait. If Green is healthy he'll bring back at least a 2nd while Daley will probably go for a 3rd. Ericsson might get us a bag of pucks.

Some decent players on the 2020 UFA list, hopefully the team upgrades after next season.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
If mantha played like he did tonight night in and night or at least with that type of effort he would be an absolute monster
Hopefully with a new coach & new gm that will get his behind in gear and a light a fire somehow, preferably a veteran coach who at least knows what he's doing, something Mantha isn't used to at the NHL level.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Hopefully with a new coach & new gm that will get his behind in gear and a light a fire somehow, preferably a veteran coach who at least knows what he's doing, something Mantha isn't used to at the NHL level.
If you listen Blashill interviews , he sounded very knowledgeable , but what he does sometimes are not that smart. Maybe it's all for learning reasons, he tries players to learn different aspects of the game. Holland even though made some mistakes , still one of the best GMs in NHL. He knows he did those mistakes and and he learned from them. Look at his moves last and this year , they all rights one.. Also this team needs assistant coach who teach our defence ,

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

That's needlessly antagonistic towards Blashill. Mantha's laziness isn't due to Blashill "not knowing hockey".

Anthony Mantha is a loafer. He needs a guy like prime Yzerman on his team who he'd be scared of not playing hard for. That's how you get the stuff out of Mantha you want. Get him a true strong leader who he'd be scared of putting out less than 100% effort for... and I mean, leader on the ice.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I love Madison Bowey.

I dont know if I'm convinced yet but hes definitely been growing on me. He doesnt seem like just a random throw in to get a contract off Washingtons hands, theres enough talent there that he could become a solid player. I didnt watch this game though so cant comment on how he was.

What did people think of Hirose?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's needlessly antagonistic towards Blashill. Mantha's laziness isn't due to Blashill "not knowing hockey".

Anthony Mantha is a loafer. He needs a guy like prime Yzerman on his team who he'd be scared of not playing hard for. That's how you get the stuff out of Mantha you want. Get him a true strong leader who he'd be scared of putting out less than 100% effort for... and I mean, leader on the ice.
If Larkin isn't enough then there is no hope. That kid plays harder than any player in the league. (Granted prime Yzerman had more skill, but I don't remember Stevie skating that hard on a consistent basis.)

I dont know if I'm convinced yet but hes definitely been growing on me. He doesnt seem like just a random throw in to get a contract off Washingtons hands, theres enough talent there that he could become a solid player. I didnt watch this game though so cant comment on how he was.

What did people think of Hirose?
He was not a random throw in. The Caps would have had to waive him to make room for Jensen, so it was a one for one 3rd pair d-man trade. The second round pick was the throw in, and a nice one at that.

Bowey didn't fit the safe and steady 3rd pair d-man Washington needed, they don't want a 3rd pair guy that takes chances like he does. They already have Niskanen, Orlov, and Carlson to drive the offense. Plus Jensen's speed compensates for Orpik, his experience level helps Djoos (the other 3rd pair option). I'm a fan of both teams, and it was a good hockey trade for both teams. Washington can afford to spend the 2nd since they don't have any glaring needs. Their only UFA players this year are Brett Connolly and Orpik (who will probably retire giving).

He gets too deep into the o-zone for my taste. We'll see how it works out.

Also, good things happen when Hirose is on the ice, but he's still got a lot to figure out. Needs to get stronger on his skates.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If Larkin isn't enough then there is no hope. That kid plays harder than any player in the league. (Granted prime Yzerman had more skill, but I don't remember Stevie skating that hard on a consistent basis.)

He was not a random throw in. The Caps would have had to waive him to make room for Jensen, so it was a one for one 3rd pair d-man trade. The second round pick was the throw in, and a nice one at that.

Bowey didn't fit the safe and steady 3rd pair d-man Washington needed, they don't want a 3rd pair guy that takes chances like he does. They already have Niskanen, Orlov, and Carlson to drive the offense. Plus Jensen's speed compensates for Orpik, his experience level helps Djoos (the other 3rd pair option). I'm a fan of both teams, and it was a good hockey trade for both teams. Washington can afford to spend the 2nd since they don't have any glaring needs. Their only UFA players this year are Brett Connolly and Orpik (who will probably retire giving).

He gets too deep into the o-zone for my taste. We'll see how it works out.

Also, good things happen when Hirose is on the ice, but he's still got a lot to figure out. Needs to get stronger on his skates.

I’ll be honest, Larkin’s skating hard all the time like he does is an example of why he’s a level below the guys like McDavid, Matthews, etc. He is really good, but he’s just simply less talented. It’s why he gets himself out of position sometimes.

And Yzerman wouldn’t have skated as hard all the time as Larkin does... because Yzerman was the level of player in the 80s that Matthews is now.

But that’s all kinda less important than the implication of what I said. Larkin needs to get to a place where he can feel comfortable saying “Tony, you better not slack because I’m killing myself for this team”. Like watch what Yzerman did in 01-02 with that Hall of Fame roster behind him on one leg. Dude could hardly stand or walk and he dominated the Vancouver series. Without crippled Stevie Y blocking shots and taking over, the “greatest team ever” gets drummed out first round.

Larkin has a long way to go before he can feasibly call out the rest of his teammates

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad