Post-Game Talk: Wings streak ends at 6 - we sorely miss our offensive MVP

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
This where I disagree with you.
Yes, Howard stopped 30+ shots, but the one that passes was a super soft one.
I do not blame him for the loss. I saw it coming. Their are extremely desperate team we were on the winning streak.
This one goes on blashill. He should have played Mrazek this game. Howard lost playoff series to bruins, should not be in net.
It is to be seen how the teams respond. The cats lost badly to sabres. Are they going to play their hearts out or they are going to be an easy prey.

Hahaha.

There's no way this post is not an intentional parody of the forum. 1 loss after a 6 game win streak. .. and it's a 1-0 loss. .. and it's our coach's fault for using the wrong goaltender!

Hilarious. Nice one.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Ok.. Not so good against the trap. Our defensive zone looked like a Japanese train when the doors open.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Sounds like I picked a good game to miss.

The Wings got dominated in the faceoff circle. And a bad sign to see Z back up over 21 minutes for the last couple games already. It's gonna be a long season for him.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
I thought Blashill was going to do a better job managing the line times? Abby 17 minutes and AA's line 10 minutes in a 1-0 game isn't smart.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm admittedly a bi-polar fan but last game brings out some darker thoughts of the ability of the Red Wings. A Saturday night game you get excited for and this was nothing but a depressing letdown.

Larkin can be such a child on his off nights. Terrible decision making, putting all this effort which amounts to so little offense and puck possession.

Tatar is a crack-baby. Scampering in a rush he must have had 20 pass attempts intercepted. Like Larkin jumping around exerting loads of energy it's simply ineffective.

Nielsen I realize what the naysayers argued this summer: he's a good player but nothing that could ever make the Wings contenders. After the world cup I was excited but for Detroit he's been fairly "meh". He's kind of small and plays small at times. I said previously he was a better all-around player than an injured Datsyuk, man was I wrong.

The same DRW debates/discussions rise and fall in our never-ending state of mediocrity, especially when we lose:

1) Many times we don't have the skill to play with the speed we generate moving up ice. The lost passes and icing's kill the flow. Better would be when the ice is **** or if having a bad game to limit the cute plays and extra passes. Be like the Leafs and just dump the stupid puck in.

2) The argument of the greater deficiencies, on forward or D. Claypool brought this up again, and while no one wouldn't want an upgrade on defense there are many many instances in the last several seasons of the forwards glaring inability to execute. Remember the dozens of 1-1 or 0-0 games headed to OT? I hate when it's the same boring old story the Wings unable to produce offensively.

Oh well enough *****ing. I'll be watching this afternoon, hopefully today the Wings offer something worth our time.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I thought Blashill was going to do a better job managing the line times? Abby 17 minutes and AA's line 10 minutes in a 1-0 game isn't smart.

What? I know everyone thinks that AA is this super offensive dynamo and he'd just score 1.5 PPG if they just gave him ice time, but there is no problem with playing Abby that amount of time and AA that amount. People want to complain about the silliest things.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Bruins executed their plan flawlessly and Rask played well. Wings didnt start on time, gotten more frustrated and their frustration led to lower performance. Bruins read their play like a book, happen when a team gets frustrated and not thinking clearly. In stead of playing 'smarter', they should played 'harder' and 'faster'. It's not about winning the game at tactical level, it's about beating them up close.

Against Panthers, need to get on Ekblad Yandle pair,forecheck and make sure puck doesn get to move up along the board.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Controversial thought: I'm not sure Larkin is going to be an NHL center. His strength is not really his skill level or hockey sense, it's his athleticism and speed. Unless he shows another side to his game at the NHL level, he has winger written all over him.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
What? I know everyone thinks that AA is this super offensive dynamo and he'd just score 1.5 PPG if they just gave him ice time, but there is no problem with playing Abby that amount of time and AA that amount. People want to complain about the silliest things.

I wouldn't call the complaint "silly" but yeah Athanasiou was a sketch-ball. Skating like a mad man past the puck, turning wildly to whip a weak shot into opponents shin pads...he was as bad everybody. Interesting he got a few shifts with Larkin in the 3rd to get something going but it didn't do much.

I keep raving over the blazing speed the Red Wings have but if we can't control the puck or know when to slow it down it's a useless attribute.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
It's pretty simple really. Our defensemen cannot move the puck. Every pass in the forwards feet, behind them, or five feet in front of them. When this happens we either just start giving the puck back to Boston so they can have possession and attack our net again or the forwards start trying to do it all themselves (Larkin, Tatar especially). The passing has to be much, much better. The constant missed easy passes is inexcusable for defensemen playing at the highest level of hockey in the world. Some nights they're passable and some nights, well, see last night. If they play like last night we basically have to count on some great luck and hot goaltending to win. We have been very lucky thus far this season to have both of those things happen seemingly every time all of our defensemen decide they're peewee players all of a sudden.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Controversial thought: I'm not sure Larkin is going to be an NHL center. His strength is not really his skill level or hockey sense, it's his athleticism and speed. Unless he shows another side to his game at the NHL level, he has winger written all over him.

I'm going to have to agree with you as of now. Larkin doesn't seem to have much more to his game than speed and some hands at this point. Truly hoping he figures it out at center but if he doesn't this organization is in a much worse spot than we already knew it was.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Well at age 21 he has YEARS to mature and develop physically...he can only improve.
And at 20, he has even more time!

Kid is just over a season into his pro-career. He's had a somewhat frustrating start to this season but people need to remember that he's by far the least pro-experienced player on the team. I think he is going to eventually 'get it' and start playing with just a little more patience and smartness. I think AA has done that same development, from only using his speed all the time to now being more smart about how he plays.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Controversial indeed. He turned 20 4 months ago and is being asked to be a top 6 center on a mediocre team with all of, ohhhh, a dozen games at center in his entire pro hockey career? Way too soon to lock him in at wing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Strength- he can't even buy beer yet....

Hockey sense- you'll have to explain that to me. Never heard anyone question that. Team North America coach said he has great hockey sense and is very good defensively for his age.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
It's pretty simple really. Our defensemen cannot move the puck. Every pass in the forwards feet, behind them, or five feet in front of them. When this happens we either just start giving the puck back to Boston so they can have possession and attack our net again or the forwards start trying to do it all themselves (Larkin, Tatar especially). The passing has to be much, much better. The constant missed easy passes is inexcusable for defensemen playing at the highest level of hockey in the world. Some nights they're passable and some nights, well, see last night. If they play like last night we basically have to count on some great luck and hot goaltending to win. We have been very lucky thus far this season to have both of those things happen seemingly every time all of our defensemen decide they're peewee players all of a sudden.

They are making terrible pass because they are getting rid of the puck the second pressure closes in on them. You obviously need to pass the puck but you also need to be willing to protect the puck if there is no great play available.

When Wings get the puck, they need split second to get it under their control and Boston really attacked the puck in that split second. Wings have to protect the puck better in that instance. Otherwise, we keep trying to play smarter by sending puck all over ice but that's just running away from Boston pressure and not only that makes Wings players feel pressured and lose their cool, it makes Bruins that much more confident.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Bruins executed their plan flawlessly and Rask played well...

Common man, did you even watch the game?

Both teams played horribly. Unless you think turnovers infront of the net are part of the bruins "plan"

Quick question: Are all NHL centers "strong in hockey sense" and have more skillful "wingers"?

Larkin has played maybe 5 games at Center. I am not sure we have enough data to say anything yet.

Hockey sense- you'll have to explain that to me. Never heard anyone question that. Team North America coach said he has great hockey sense and is very good defensively for his age.

Concur.

Last edited:

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Common man, did you even watch the game?

Both teams played horribly. Unless you think turnovers infront of the net are part of the bruins "plan"

well maybe it wasn't perfect, maybe it had a lot to do with ice condition, but in terms of what they were trying to do, I think Bruins did everything they set out to do, maybe little better.

Broken plays happen and you are right those wtf sequences happened quite frequently last night but in the end, I think there's no question Bruins effectively shut down our playbook. Wings didn't help the matter by getting pigeonholed into a certain play style which made it easier for Bruins to read. That's pretty typical on a team, or a player who think they have 'figured out' the game and try to over rely on that same formula that worked for past couple. That's usually when losing streak + slump comes around. I've seen it too many times before and as Z said, the signs were there from the St. Louis game.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York

Against a physical team like the Bruins??? I'd prefer playing Abby the most over anyone else on the roster. Athanasiou had nothing. Every time he touched the puck, someone was there knocking him right off of it.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
This is a young team that has played a lot of games. I doubt they fair too well today either. They need a 3 day game break to regroup.

Howard was awesome!

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Bruins executed their plan flawlessly and Rask played well. Wings didnt start on time, gotten more frustrated and their frustration led to lower performance. Bruins read their play like a book, happen when a team gets frustrated and not thinking clearly. In stead of playing 'smarter', they should played 'harder' and 'faster'. It's not about winning the game at tactical level, it's about beating them up close.

Against Panthers, need to get on Ekblad Yandle pair,forecheck and make sure puck doesn get to move up along the board.

You are reading too much into it. A certain level or energy, effort and speed is required to win an NHL hockey game. The Wings had none of it last night. You are making excuses for them by suggesting that Boston's play had something to do with the result.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016

It takes a high level of "hockey sense" to be great defensively, which Larkin most certainly is. He is in the right place way too often for it to be luck. He has had a slow start, he will get it going. Also, it will take more than 5 games to adjust for the switch from wing to center. Give him some time, he will get it. Might be the hardest working player on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad