Post-Game Talk: Wings start the homestand with a win over the Champs.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Thing with Janmark, Jarnkrok, etc, where do these guys make the team? We have guys like Darren Helm as fourth liners. Dallas, Nashville, etc lack depth and that's how these guys get those chances. Detroit was going fully towards a playoff run, which is why we got David Legwand. Nashville was tanking and could afford to put Calle Jarnkrok in game in and out. Contending teams thriving towards the playoffs (we are guys) really cannot afford to see what x player has if we currently have better chances with other players for example.

Calle Jarnkrok going to get exposed btw? He and Elias Lindholm were really supposed to be something great for Swedish hockey and Jarnkrok looks like a third line C and Lindholm's development has kinda looked like a 2C.

Here's a crazy idea...

Trade guys like Helm just prior to UFA status for a 3rd round picks or whatever, then bring up the guys the ELC guys. There is no room for locking down all your bottom 6 guys in the modern NHL (Helm, Abdelkader, Glendening). I know the Wings were desperately trying to make the playoffs at that point (and Helm was the issue when they got Legwand), but that's not using the laws of probability in terms of building a champion.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Here's a crazy idea...

Trade guys like Helm just prior to UFA status for a 3rd round picks or whatever, then bring up the guys the ELC guys. There is no room for locking down all your bottom 6 guys in the modern NHL (Helm, Abdelkader, Glendening). I know the Wings were desperately trying to make the playoffs at that point (and Helm was the issue when they got Legwand), but that's not using the laws of probability in terms of building a champion.

We're contending. I however was and still am 100% against re-signing Darren Helm/

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Sorry to burst your bubble but it could be more likely a top 10-12 pick and no moves for assets. We're currently 4 points behind 6 other teams. If were're within 6-10 points of the WC by the deadline no way Kenny sells off the hope of a continued streak.

No bubble to be burst that's what the if and could are for. I don't expect Holland to do the right thing.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yet you continue to bring up that trade when you know damn well we drafted a raw prospect with big upside. I think many are forgetting we also got Filip Hronek from that trade as well.

Don't see anything to suggest he has big upside. And what's Hronek? Chances are still great that he turns into nothing.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Don't see anything to suggest he has big upside. And what's Hronek? Chances are still great that he turns into nothing.
Welcome to prospects. And Chychrun is something special? A bad player on the worst team in the league. Should be in juniors or AHL at most. Time will tell but generally two good prospects are better than one.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Welcome to prospects. And Chychrun is something special? A bad player on the worst team in the league. Should be in juniors or AHL at most. Time will tell but generally two good prospects are better than one.

I take issue with that "bad player" part, but I agree he'd be better off in Juniors than playing 13 minutes a night for Arizona.

Anyways back to the Wings, I'm going to both games next weekend. I hope AA and Mantha add to their highlight reels.

Last edited:

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
The Wings are good at drafting and developing bottom 6 players, but so are the majority of the league, that's not all that difficult. The Wings haven't drafted anyone of consequence in the 2nd round or later in a long time.

That depends on your definition of "anyone of consequence" and how long you consider a long time.

Athanasiou was a 4th round pick and I'd say he's a player of consequence.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but have you watched him play? He was really good at the WJC. He's not very far from pro level, IMO.

I don't take anything from tournament play. We've had many prospects that have looked great in these things and it means nothing. It's the epitome of small sample size.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't take anything from tournament play. We've had many prospects that have looked great in these things and it means nothing. It's the epitome of small sample size.

You can bash our prospects as much you want. But currently Hronek has 2nd best Age-adjusted + Team-Scoring adjusted points in OHL after Nick Merkeley (who will be TOP3 pick at 2018 draft, super-talent). Saarijärvi is 3rd best on those values. Guys like Olli Juolevi far behind.

Hronek was fine on my eye-test scoring chance data at WJC, compared to other defencemen. Both of them, Saarijärvi and Hronek, excelled especially in ZoneEntries, which will be a key for future success.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I take issue with that "bad player" part, but I agree he'd be better off in Juniors than playing 13 minutes a night for Arizona.
Maybe I should have said bit player. He's playing a small role on a bad team and not doing anything amazing with it. Simply being in the NHL shouldn't be a measure of how good a young player is or has potential to be.
We'll see, I like AA but he hasn't done anything yet.
He's doing it now. Fair to say he's looking like an amazing 4th round pick. Even if he never takes another step he is still showing that he can be a differencemaker, if only inconsistently. There are guys that will never score a goal like the one AA did against Pittsburgh in their entire career, it takes special talent.
Chychrun is a defenseman playing in the nhl and cholo is some scrub bust waiting to happen.
I don't know how this board can view guys like Ouellet/Sproul/Marchenko/Ericsson/etc as completely meaningless, basically viewing them as part of our "bad" drafting, yet a guy like Chychrun is some magical draft pick because he's playing a #6-7 d-man role on the worst team in the league. Yeah I know the guy is young but that just means he wouldn't be in the NHL if he was our pick. In the Wings system, he'd be another "scrub bust waiting to happen".

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He's doing it now. Fair to say he's looking like an amazing 4th round pick. Even if he never takes another step he is still showing that he can be a differencemaker, if only inconsistently. There are guys that will never score a goal like the one AA did against Pittsburgh in their entire career, it takes special talent.

If a 4th rounder is scoring at the ES/60 that AA is, without being an absolute black hole defensively, you've done DAMN well with that 4th rounder.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
If a 4th rounder is scoring at the ES/60 that AA is, without being an absolute black hole defensively, you've done DAMN well with that 4th rounder.

Sorry for the completely irrelevant side track but being called a black hole on defense should be a compliment- nothing escapes a black hole.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
The Wings are good at drafting and developing bottom 6 players, but so are the majority of the league, that's not all that difficult.

You should look at how other teams draft. Detroit's record is better than most of them. I don't think there's more than maybe one or two other teams who have had a level of draft pick success on their NHL roster similar to what Detroit has had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad