Pre-Game Talk: Wings @ Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I'm not too thrilled about putting Howard against the 2nd best offense in the league.

Especially since they don't play again still Wednesday. Ideally you play Mrazek and hope he turns into a wall and the Wings capitalize on the Stars non existent defense.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
He's certainly a big part of it, but no goalie has success without help from his team.

The Wings may not have an elite D core but they do have an excellent team structure that limits scoring chances from the high scoring areas.

Having two of the best defensive centres in the modern era probably helps more than people realize. And then Sheahan, Abdelkader, Helm, Glendening, etc... a large percentage of our forwards are pretty good defensively. How many times has Datsyuk singlehandedly bailed out the D?

"If he focused less on defensive play, he'd have scored many more points." It's been said about Datsyuk for years. Maybe our forwards are having trouble generating offense because they have to play a team defense system that stifles offense?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
10th in goals against because Mrazek.

Not really.

The Red Wings give up the 7th fewest scoring chances against per 60 minutes in the NHL (5v5). They also give up the 3rd fewest shot attempts against per 60 minutes (5v5).

Same story when shorthanded...5th fewest scoring attempts against/60 and 8th fewest shot attempts against/60.

So, for as great as Mrazek has been, the Wings defense also contributes heavily by doing an excellent job at suppressing scoring attempts against the goaltenders.

I know no one around here wants to hear that though because everyone is so sure the defense is absolutely terrible and is constantly hanging the goalie out to dry.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not really.

The Red Wings give up the 7th fewest scoring chances against per 60 minutes in the NHL (5v5). They also give up the 3rd fewest shot attempts against per 60 minutes (5v5).

Same story when shorthanded...5th fewest scoring attempts against/60 and 8th fewest shot attempts against/60.

So, for as great as Mrazek has been, the Wings defense also contributes heavily by doing an excellent job at suppressing scoring attempts against the goaltenders.

I know no one around here what's to hear that though because everyone around here is so sure the defense is absolutely terrible and is constantly hanging the goalie out to dry.

Wow, never would have guessed this. Thanks.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I don't see it. Under Babcock, yes. But I don't see that this year. So I'll have to disagree.

They are one of the best in the league at suppressing shots 5-on-5. What are you watching? It just so happens that they are also terrible at generating shots 5-on-5.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Not really.

I know no one around here wants to hear that though because everyone is so sure the defense is absolutely terrible and is constantly hanging the goalie out to dry.

It really is our offense that is just terrible, but I think some of that definitely stems from a lack of offensive ability from the back end. Opposing teams don't have to worry about our defenders walking the blue line with the puck. They can just collapse and laugh at those weak shots from the point while they collapse around the net and don't allow anything from the slot. Some decent point shots would open up the o-zone for us a little more because teams would be forced to defend the point like they have to for a Weber or Karlsson or Seabrook. This is where we miss Lidstrom the most in my opinion.

Our defense is fairly good defensively, but pretty bad offensively.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
I'm more interested in getting Jimmy a W tonight than I am the points. We need him to get confidence back to up his value in the off season plus would be a huge plus for us keeping mzarek fresh for the rest of the season.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
???

Besides his last game, Jimmy has had not had a good outing since December 18th against the Canucks.

His last win was December 3rd against the Yotes.

He has lost 10 starts in a row.

He has 7 wins this year. For all intents and purposes he has forgot how to win games.

Last 5 Starts:

A good couple games? Completely disagree.

He just got a regulation shutout, and before that he replaced Mrazek for a period and let in no goals.

Fine, "couple" is a little stretch, but at least he played 4 good periods in a row. Acting like he is never going to win another game is ridiculous. There are worse goalies in the league.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He just got a regulation shutout, and before that he replaced Mrazek for a period and let in no goals.

Fine, "couple" is a little stretch, but at least he played 4 good periods in a row. Acting like he is never going to win another game is ridiculous. There are worse goalies in the league.

He could never win again...

...and the Wings could win the Stanley Cup this season...

Both are possible, both are highly unlikely.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

You were fine with your wording, he has looked good in his last couple OUTINGS, had you said starts it would've been different. I completely agree.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Having two of the best defensive centres in the modern era probably helps more than people realize. And then Sheahan, Abdelkader, Helm, Glendening, etc... a large percentage of our forwards are pretty good defensively. How many times has Datsyuk singlehandedly bailed out the D?

"If he focused less on defensive play, he'd have scored many more points." It's been said about Datsyuk for years. Maybe our forwards are having trouble generating offense because they have to play a team defense system that stifles offense?

Funny timing. I was just thinking lately about how much our forwards have fallen off defensively. Helm and Abby are nowhere near the defensive pros they were a few years ago, especially with Abby now in an offensive role and Helm a full time winger on an offensive line. Luke is holding on to last year's reputation. Sheahan may develop towards being strong defensively, but right now I don't see he being anything other than above average. Zetterberg has fallen WAY off defensively, at least in terms of consistency and Daystuk, while still great, is not a Selke contender anymore. Combine that with the average-at-best defense of Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Pulk, and Richie and it's really not that great anymore. A lot of outdated reputations there.

Meanwhile, I think our defense is actually really good, probably top 10, when it comes to zone play. They suck at moving the puck and they suck at retrieving the puck once the other team sets up but they seem to do a good job keeping the chances low key. I've seen a lot of shifts where the opposition has a lot of puck time in our zone without ever getting good looks.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Our D is good at defense and bad at offense. Our F is good at defense and bad at offense. Hmmm.

Mantha - Larkin - Pookie
AA - Svetch - Abby
Nyquist - Richards - Tatar
Jurco - Helm - Smith

Z - Datsyuk
Green - Sheahan
Kronwall - Glendening

I think I just solved all our problems guys.

EDIT: my bad, swap Dekeyser in for Glendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad