Confirmed with Link: Wings Sign Zadina to 3 year ELC

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
The NHL has ruled that Zadina was on loan to Halifax of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League from his European club, Pardubice HC of the Czech Republic, according to general manager Ken Holland. That makes him eligible to play for the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins in 2018-19 if the Red Wings opt to send him there.

This would enable the Red Wings to recall him freely at any time, and he would be playing against better competition.

But Halifax might dispute that ruling in hopes of getting Zadina back next season, if he doesn't earn a spot with the Red Wings. Halifax claims Zadina is a CHL player. CHL players with junior eligibility must return to their junior clubs if they're not in the NHL.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I honestly, don't think Bertuzzi has locked anything up to be fair, maybe briefly at the start, but even then, not for sure. He played well, but in a relatively small amount of games, and he isn't close to Zadina's level of ability, if Zadina is ready he gets top 9 easy, just like Larkin did. Rasmussen may have a tougher task, but all I am saying is the roster can be shuffled to make room, if they are overwhelmingly ready. And if it is a case of them not ready to make a major or decent impact, then it is better they play in the AHL or junior, anyways. Playing 4-5 minutes a game does nothing for Zadina, so if he isn't ready for at least 11-12 minutes and PP time to start, then let him go start in the AHL. I am hoping he comes to camp, absolutely blows Blashill and co. away with his readiness and pushes his way through, and I hope the same for Hronek and Rasmussen. Larkin was lower ranked than either Zad or Ras when he came in, with a full roster and he made them make room. Let's hope for that.

The other thing is injuries always happen, either at camp or early on, which will get others playing time, we can't foresee right now.

Bertuzzi is definitely a lock,he would have to be waived to be sent back down this year

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Bertuzzi is definitely a lock,he would have to be waived to be sent back down this year

I wasn't suggesting he wasn't a lock for the roster, I was saying that it isn't guaranteed he is top 9, if Zadina is ready. He is definitely with the big club.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I honestly, don't think Bertuzzi has locked anything up to be fair, maybe briefly at the start, but even then, not for sure. He played well, but in a relatively small amount of games, and he isn't close to Zadina's level of ability, if Zadina is ready he gets top 9 easy, just like Larkin did. Rasmussen may have a tougher task, but all I am saying is the roster can be shuffled to make room, if they are overwhelmingly ready. And if it is a case of them not ready to make a major or decent impact, then it is better they play in the AHL or junior, anyways. Playing 4-5 minutes a game does nothing for Zadina, so if he isn't ready for at least 11-12 minutes and PP time to start, then let him go start in the AHL. I am hoping he comes to camp, absolutely blows Blashill and co. away with his readiness and pushes his way through, and I hope the same for Hronek and Rasmussen. Larkin was lower ranked than either Zad or Ras when he came in, with a full roster and he made them make room. Let's hope for that.

The other thing is injuries always happen, either at camp or early on, which will get others playing time, we can't foresee right now.

Larkin didn't come right in, though. He was shuttled off to Michigan for a year. The following year their top9 was stocked with only seven guys who likely could argue they were better. With the emergence of Larkin, Mantha, Bert, and Athanasiou our top9 now is actually harder to crack then it was then. Maybe they'd be willing to shuttle Bertuzzi down the lineup, but nothing about the Wings track record or what they've said about Bertuzzi in various interviews makes me see that as likely.

With the signing of Vanek, I think we're looking at the Wings doing what they've done for quite awhile. The young guys are expected to come to camp, work like hell to make an impression, be sent down to whatever lower level team regardless of how well they played in camp, not complain, and then keep playing well there to get a chance when/if someone is injured enough to not only take them out of a game or two but to be placed on the IR to open up a roster spot.

For what it's worth, I think it's more likely they keep Rasmussen if they feel he is close at all because they might not want to send him back to juniors. The guy is already huge and shoving around a bunch of kids far less physically developed than him just doesn't seem fruitful to me.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
But Halifax might dispute that ruling in hopes of getting Zadina back next season, if he doesn't earn a spot with the Red Wings. Halifax claims Zadina is a CHL player. CHL players with junior eligibility must return to their junior clubs if they're not in the NHL.

Somebody could inform to Halifax, that Red Wings are sending him to Pardubice, if they continue this diputing.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Somebody could inform to Halifax, that Red Wings are sending him to Pardubice, if they continue this diputing.

I doubt it would get that nasty, but we could also have a total falling out with Halifax and have their best D-man request a trade as well. My guess is Halifax isn't going to do much with the NHL backing the Wings. It basically allows the Wings to scorch earth if they feel like it.

Again these partnerships have been around a while. I don't think it will get nasty but eventually one of these situations is going to change the landscape of the current agreement. I would be fine if this was that flash moment, but my guess is the CHL and QMJHL have told Halifax tough luck with the NHL coming down with that ruling.

If they were contending his CHL contract status it would be to block Pardubice as an option as well. It would be the same form of challenge, but at this point Halifax really has to think about the long-ranging impact of doing this. They are one of the glamour Major Junior clubs of the last few decades, they put a lot on the line disputing that and could disrupt their future by picking this hill to die on.

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
I doubt it would get that nasty, but we could also have a total falling out with Halifax and have their best D-man request a trade as well. My guess is Halifax isn't going to do much with the NHL backing the Wings. It basically allows the Wings to scorch earth if they feel like it.

Again these partnerships have been around a while. I don't think it will get nasty but eventually one of these situations is going to change the landscape of the current agreement. I would be fine if this was that flash moment, but my guess is the CHL and QMJHL have told Halifax tough luck with the NHL coming down with that ruling.

If they were contending his CHL contract status it would be to block Pardubice as an option as well. It would be the same form of challenge, but at this point Halifax really has to think about the long-ranging impact of doing this. They are one of the glamour Major Junior clubs of the last few decades, they put a lot on the line disputing that and could disrupt their future by picking this hill to die on.

McIsaac is from Halifax and the Mooseheads are hosting the Mem Cup this year. Seems like an ideal place for him to develop, doubt the Wings would want to screw that up by being petty.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
The NHL has ruled that Zadina was on loan to Halifax of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League from his European club, Pardubice HC of the Czech Republic, according to general manager Ken Holland. That makes him eligible to play for the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins in 2018-19 if the Red Wings opt to send him there.

This would enable the Red Wings to recall him freely at any time, and he would be playing against better competition.

This happened last year with Hischier and we never really got to the truth of it since Hischier stuck. Will be interesting if we get to see who was right on this.

In my opinion this is highly unlikely Cam Russell will go against the NHL ruling tho regardless. He will likely take his lumps and work with the new Euros. I wouldn't read too much into the fact that they drafted two new guys. They are no doubt considering the strong possibility that both Somppi and Zadina could make their clubs this season.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
This happened last year with Hischier and we never really got to the truth of it since Hischier stuck. Will be interesting if we get to see who was right on this.

In my opinion this is highly unlikely Cam Russell will go against the NHL ruling tho regardless. He will likely take his lumps and work with the new Euros. I wouldn't read too much into the fact that they drafted two new guys. They are no doubt considering the strong possibility that both Somppi and Zadina could make their clubs this season.
I think that the CHL could be stepping on their own feet. If the loophole that allows players who are on loan to play in the AHL is closed, the CHL might not get those players to come over in the first place.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think that the CHL could be stepping on their own feet. If the loophole that allows players who are on loan to play in the AHL is closed, the CHL might not get those players to come over in the first place.

Yep. They would stay in Europe like Eeli Tolvanen did.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
in about 1 hr going to be Czech u20 vs Switzerland u20 . Cannot find any information about this game

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It is going to be another games 07/23 07/24. U20 with Finland. Hope Zadina will play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad