Confirmed with Link: Wings Sign Zadina to 3 year ELC

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If zadina had a good preseason he'll make the roster.

Essentially what I'm saying. Since he's got the level of talent he does, I expect him to blow the doors down in the preseason. My expectation is that Zadina is in the top six opening night in Detroit. At some point, the kids have to force the issue. It isn't "shuffle players around to give them a shot". If they had wanted to, they could have kept Larkin in the AHL in 2015. Hell, I was in favor of them keeping Larkin in the AHL in 2015 because I wanted him playing 20+ minutes a night as a center as opposed to being a wing in Detroit. I was wrong then but because Larkin proved me wrong.

Reactions: KJoe88

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Based purely on merit, I give Zadina about a 10% chance of being on the opening day roster. He's good, but he's not so good that he annihilates all competition from jump street.

If it was only Halifax or Detroit, I'd rather he got tossed in the deep end than likely learn nothing new in juniors. But with the AHL as an option, that's where he very likely spends at least 2-3 months.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Essentially what I'm saying. Since he's got the level of talent he does, I expect him to blow the doors down in the preseason. My expectation is that Zadina is in the top six opening night in Detroit. At some point, the kids have to force the issue. It isn't "shuffle players around to give them a shot". If they had wanted to, they could have kept Larkin in the AHL in 2015. Hell, I was in favor of them keeping Larkin in the AHL in 2015 because I wanted him playing 20+ minutes a night as a center as opposed to being a wing in Detroit. I was wrong then but because Larkin proved me wrong.
Honestly I hope Holland moves one or both of AA/Nyquist for picks or defense prospects.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Honestly I hope Holland moves one or both of AA/Nyquist for picks or defense prospects.

Me too. I didn't want AA re-signed, because I don't think he's much more of a player than you do because I don't think he'll compete hard enough. Detroit thinks otherwise.

I just think that Zadina has no reason to not be able to push his way onto a full roster. I want talented guys who kick doors down because they refuse to be sent down and back it up with their play. Not guys who need everything perfectly geared for them to succeed. Larkin made it super clear he wasn't going to start in GR with his play. That's what Zadina has to do. That is the expectation you have to have. If he plays up to his potential talent, the Wings will not keep him down. But he shouldn't just be gifted that spot because he has that talent.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Zadina with a fall birthday would be eligible for the slider though correct?

I think that happened with Mantha and Svech if I remember right but I could be wrong.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Why is it every time there's some really cool news that we should all be happy about, there's doom-and-gloom forum posters that try to spin it like the walls are going to crumble from within and the world is going to implode after the sun stops burning in the next 4 hours?

This is some very exciting and great news!

Reactions: Larkin1578

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Good stuff. Was hoping he was signed sooner rather than later.

Pretty sure he makes the team, but if he doesnt, he won't stay in Grand Rapids long.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just a reminder that this is pretty standard (if he starts in the AHL). Count up the guys drafted 3-10 every year and look at how many immediately made the NHL. Like ~90% of the time they don’t. Even a lot of the really good players in the league.

PAstrnak did start from AHL and played 46 games in NHL. Zadina was compared to him, so that could be our starting point.

He'll get some games, I guarantee it. But he won't get a full season. I guarantee that too. And that doesn't kill a prospect. I guarantee also that.

It's just meningless to debate about this.

From 2015 McDavid -draft, only Eichel and Hanifin played full seasons. McDavid also would have played, but did get injured. Hanifin has been struggling since, maybe we was brought in too early.

From 2014 draft Ekblad played full 2014-15 season as only player, Draisaitl and Pastrnak had those split seasons with 37-46 games.

All the talk before this 2018 draft was that only A.Svechnikov, Tkachuk and Dahlin are 100% sure jump in straight on. Others need time to develop in lower leagues, including Zadina.

Last edited:
Reactions: kliq

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
PAstrnak did start from AHL and played 46 games in NHL. Zadina was compared to him, so that could be our starting point.

He'll get some games, I guarantee it. But he won't get a full season. I guarantee that too. And that doesn't kill a prospect. I guarantee also that.

7CJs.gif

Your certainty sure is interesting. :laugh:

I mean I think it is likely, but I really have no idea in July how this will play out. There is the real possibility he is in Detroit all year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Your certainty sure is interesting. :laugh:

I mean I think it is likely, but I really have no idea in July how this will play out. There is the real possibility he is in Detroit all year.

I'll quarantee you X amount of games after Nyquist is traded. ;)

This roster spot building points straight to that.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Man! Just look at that Cap Hit! Congrats to the Wings next 50 goal guy!:thumbu:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I mean, how would we ever move Witkowksi or Frk to make room, these guys are irreplaceable?! :skeptic::rolleyes::skeptic:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I mean, how would we ever move Witkowksi or Frk to make room, these guys are irreplaceable?! :skeptic::rolleyes::skeptic:

Barring injuries and trades, who gets moved out of the top9 for Zadina? I don't think Gator is moved. I think Bertuzzi has locked in a top9 spot to at least start the season. It's not just about a roster space itself but playing time. The Wings have shown a long history of not wanting kids up unless they were going to see some serious playing time. I don't think that changes with Zadina or Rasmussen.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Barring injuries and trades, who gets moved out of the top9 for Zadina? I don't think Gator is moved. I think Bertuzzi has locked in a top9 spot to at least start the season. It's not just about a roster space itself but playing time. The Wings have shown a long history of not wanting kids up unless they were going to see some serious playing time. I don't think that changes with Zadina or Rasmussen.

I honestly, don't think Bertuzzi has locked anything up to be fair, maybe briefly at the start, but even then, not for sure. He played well, but in a relatively small amount of games, and he isn't close to Zadina's level of ability, if Zadina is ready he gets top 9 easy, just like Larkin did. Rasmussen may have a tougher task, but all I am saying is the roster can be shuffled to make room, if they are overwhelmingly ready. And if it is a case of them not ready to make a major or decent impact, then it is better they play in the AHL or junior, anyways. Playing 4-5 minutes a game does nothing for Zadina, so if he isn't ready for at least 11-12 minutes and PP time to start, then let him go start in the AHL. I am hoping he comes to camp, absolutely blows Blashill and co. away with his readiness and pushes his way through, and I hope the same for Hronek and Rasmussen. Larkin was lower ranked than either Zad or Ras when he came in, with a full roster and he made them make room. Let's hope for that.

The other thing is injuries always happen, either at camp or early on, which will get others playing time, we can't foresee right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad