Confirmed with Link: Wings Sign Zadina to 3 year ELC

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I told you guy's but I was called a bunch of choic names and told I knew nothing. He was never going to be on the team to start the year.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
I'm still hoping he does well in preseason and they have to keep him up.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
And that's whats wrong with the Wings organization in a nut shell.

Signing the best prospect they've had in about 30 years to an ELC? Waiting until he actually does anything at all like even touch a skate to ice in training camp before they gift wrap him a spot on the top line?

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I'm still hoping he does well in preseason and they have to keep him up.
Only if he does not give them any other choice though, we cant just put him up because he was a high pick he has to be ready and prove he can do it. Don't want to toss him in and hurt his development just because.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Signing the best prospect they've had in about 30 years to an ELC? Waiting until he actually does anything at all like even touch a skate to ice in training camp before they gift wrap him a spot on the top line?

Or how about signing multiple forwards that don't make the team much better, but have no value on the trade market? Players like Vanek and Frk don't help the team get better in the future. Full Stop. Its better for players like Ras and Zadina to play in the NHL, and by already having 13 forwards it means that Detroit doesn't have the room to do so. And honestly, the first question is a joke right? Its nearly impossible for Zadina not to sign that contract with the CBA structured as it is, so don't make it out like that's some achievement. Next you'll want us to praise Holland for only pissing on his shoes a little bit, like a big boy.

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
Or how about signing multiple forwards that don't make the team much better, but have no value on the trade market? Players like Vanek and Frk don't help the team get better in the future. Full Stop. Its better for players like Ras and Zadina to play in the NHL, and by already having 13 forwards it means that Detroit doesn't have the room to do so.

We shouldn't put rookies on the roster unless they earn a spot. Also, Z may retire this year and we can waive Frk. We don't know what the roster will be like day one. People need to calm down.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Or how about signing multiple forwards that don't make the team much better, but have no value on the trade market? Players like Vanek and Frk don't help the team get better in the future. Full Stop. Its better for players like Ras and Zadina to play in the NHL, and by already having 13 forwards it means that Detroit doesn't have the room to do so. And honestly, the first question is a joke right? Its nearly impossible for Zadina not to sign that contract with the CBA structured as it is, so don't make it out like that's some achievement. Next you'll want us to praise Holland for only pissing on his shoes a little bit, like a big boy.

Vanek is a fantastic net front guy. The Wings just drafted a 6'6" monster last year who is pretty decent at that. AA who you want to keep and develop has had good history with him.

It's not better for Filip Zadina to play in the NHL unless you think we are out of the "rebuild" that you want us in. I'd say it's actually worse to have Zadina up on a really **** team getting his head kicked in. I'd say it's worse to burn a year off his ELC and be looking for a bridge/long term deal a year earlier if you think we will just be awful next year. Isn't that the whole worry? That we waste the cheap years of our really good young kids on a team that wants to be a bubble team?

But no, I'm confused as to how signing Filip Zadina to an ELC (which is the entire point of this topic) is emblematic of the ills of this team. Guess what? If Frk sucks, they can bury him for free and boom, Zadina roster spot. If Vanek or Abdelkader or Zetterberg or whoever gets hurt (a near 100% certainty), boom another roster spot or two.

And if Zadina blows everyones nips off in preseason, they make a move then. Everyone loses their fudge about having 13+ plus forwards when it is July and by the time October comes around, you're dealing with injuries to at least one or two of them like right away.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
We will see how camp goes, but with the AHL news I sort of expect him to spend the first half of the season down in the AHL, go to the WJC and then be called up some time in the new year.

I'm more expecting that he doesn't come up until the TDL. Nyquist goes, and possibly AA and Vanek. Get him up for a showing and don't burn a year on his contract.

... I'm not saying I agree with that, it'll depend on how he plays. But I'm a lot more willing to not see him in Detroit for a year if he can play in the AHL or overseas, as opposed to Halifax. He gains nothing by not playing with adults.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just a reminder that this is pretty standard (if he starts in the AHL). Count up the guys drafted 3-10 every year and look at how many immediately made the NHL. Like ~90% of the time they don’t. Even a lot of the really good players in the league.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Vanek is a fantastic net front guy. The Wings just drafted a 6'6" monster last year who is pretty decent at that. AA who you want to keep and develop has had good history with him.

It's not better for Filip Zadina to play in the NHL unless you think we are out of the "rebuild" that you want us in. I'd say it's actually worse to have Zadina up on a really **** team getting his head kicked in. I'd say it's worse to burn a year off his ELC and be looking for a bridge/long term deal a year earlier if you think we will just be awful next year. Isn't that the whole worry? That we waste the cheap years of our really good young kids on a team that wants to be a bubble team?

But no, I'm confused as to how signing Filip Zadina to an ELC (which is the entire point of this topic) is emblematic of the ills of this team. Guess what? If Frk sucks, they can bury him for free and boom, Zadina roster spot. If Vanek or Abdelkader or Zetterberg or whoever gets hurt (a near 100% certainty), boom another roster spot or two.

And if Zadina blows everyones nips off in preseason, they make a move then. Everyone loses their fudge about having 13+ plus forwards when it is July and by the time October comes around, you're dealing with injuries to at least one or two of them like right away.
Because Frk is playing in the top 9? And Vanek could be a clown that farts gold bricks, just because he had half a season that he played well with AA and he is a 'net front guy' doesn't mean he's not a useless addition to the team. He doesn't make the team much better, he definitely doesn't make the team competitive for a playoff spot, but he does potentially worsen Detroit's lottery odds and he blocks young players that should be getting NHL time. Its as if KH wants to be the stereotype of himself by signing an aging vet, who has played for Detroit in the past, in a position that blocks young players from playing. And as for the shit kicked in crap you posted, that tends to not hurt many young players, in fact, the only way teams have moved out of that phase is by having good young players playing.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Because Frk is playing in the top 9? And Vanek could be a clown that farts gold bricks, just because he had half a season that he played well with AA and he is a 'net front guy' doesn't mean he's not a useless addition to the team. He doesn't make the team much better, he definitely doesn't make the team competitive for a playoff spot, but he does potentially worsen Detroit's lottery odds and he blocks young players that should be getting NHL time. Its as if KH wants to be the stereotype of himself by signing an aging vet, who has played for Detroit in the past, in a position that blocks young players from playing. And as for the **** kicked in crap you posted, that tends to not hurt many young players, in fact, the only way teams have moved out of that phase is by having good young players playing.

'Young players that should be getting NHL time is very premature to start. If the young guys that are actually on the team make strides then Vanek is a good addition and could be helpful to make the push for a playoff spot. Other teams thjat had young players playing... Well, they didn't just throw anyone in there simply because they were young , did they? They were ready. Other wise, where are the arguments of having Axel Holmstrom on the roster? He's young!

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Because Frk is playing in the top 9? And Vanek could be a clown that farts gold bricks, just because he had half a season that he played well with AA and he is a 'net front guy' doesn't mean he's not a useless addition to the team. He doesn't make the team much better, he definitely doesn't make the team competitive for a playoff spot, but he does potentially worsen Detroit's lottery odds and he blocks young players that should be getting NHL time. Its as if KH wants to be the stereotype of himself by signing an aging vet, who has played for Detroit in the past, in a position that blocks young players from playing. And as for the **** kicked in crap you posted, that tends to not hurt many young players, in fact, the only way teams have moved out of that phase is by having good young players playing.

If young players want NHL time, they should work their ass off to get it. If Zadina is ****ing capable of being a fixture on the NHL roster, he should do it. The Wings had a full ****ing roster in Larkin's first year as well. They've had a full roster every single season. Larkin was good enough to make them keep him up.

When it comes to the pre-season, it isn't just about slightly edging out a lower tier forward. It's kick the door down and announce that you've arrived. Make it impossible for you to be sent down. A talent like Zadina (who is probably the third best talent in the 2018 draft) has that capability. Make him show it in preseason.

You can piss and moan about "oh, he won't get the opportunity", but Larkin did as 15OA in, what was that, 2015... on a roster that was still better than what we have now.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Larkin played a full year of college after his draft year...

College doesn't eat ELC years like playing in the AHL does:

And significantly, players who do not play at a North American professional level can have their contracts “slide” (often referred to as “entry-level slide”). Basically, the contract shifts forward one year such that the first year of the contract just shifts to the next year. This occurs if a player does not play at least 10 games at the NHL or professional level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad